Poppies in San Francisco.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by California_Tanker, Nov 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is interesting. I had no idea that the British Legion had a detachment/wing/whatever over on this side of the pond. Turns out that next weekend (Sunday 12th, for some reason), they're having a bit of a rememberance, and we're sending a dozen troops over there in dress blues for whatever. Presumably a firing party, though I'm not sure about the flag bit: Seems a bit odd to present a US flag to a British veteran's group.

If it comes up, is there any protocol for folding a Union Flag? Heck, is it even protocol for American troops to fold and present one in the US?

Also, if I can get our bugler up to speed quickly, your version of 'Taps' is 'Last Post', right? Anyone happen to have the sheet music for it? (Or a good MP3 or WAV file to copy?)

NTM

2. In the UK, Remembrance Sunday is always held on the Sunday closest to November 11. This year, it's on the 12th. There is a two minute silence at 11am.

Last Post is the correct music to be played during the service.

Google claims this to be accurate . I can't read music, so don't know for sure.

But it should sound like this (except for the coughing).

Can't help with the flag though, sorry.

PB

3. Can't help you C_T, but bless you for asking and taking an interest.

4. Thanks for the heads-up, C_T. A quick look on the British Consulate General in LA website tells me that I have the RBL and the Royal Air Forces Association, amongst others, here in Los Angeles County.

Now then, gents, let's not forget the Rouse (Reveille) after the 2min silence. A chap could get a bit mis, otherwise:

http://www.royalengineers.ca/36_Rouse(also%20known%20as%20Reveille).mp3

5. Just a thought; not meaning to teach anyone to suck eggs here, but it's easy to put up the union flag upside down. A 50/50 chance, in fact.

6. Last Post and Reveille can be found at www.legion.ca. The recordings may not be the best, but they are free and readily available for download. I don't know about the British Legion, but in the Royal Canadian Legion, depending on circumstances, The Act Of Remembrance usually follows the Last Post, Two Minutes Silence and Reveille. The staff at the British Post should be able to advise of their protocols for that.

Also, I would assume (there's that word) that the staff at the British Post would know that the St Patrick's Cross on the Union Flag is to be in the upper portion of the St Andrews Cross on the fly of the flag.

7. Yeah, you know, upon further reflection, I think we'll probably just nix the Union Flag idea. Wouldn't want to get it wrong, and I can't quite figure out any way it could be appropriate anyway. We'll figure something out.

So it's Reveille two minutes after Last Post? Not immediatley afterwards?

NTM

8. I love that! An American who knows to call it the Union Flag, whereas many of our home-grown don't.

Priceless. Good on you C_T. You're a gem.

9. CT

Flag folding... go for it!!

Inventing new drills is necessary when doing something for the first time.

I don't think Brit would object to the Union Flag being ceremonially folded - which ever way up this was done: It would IMHO be highly appreciated. In my opinion, the ritual flag folding has always been one of the most moving and beautiful parts of the American ceremony.

I can only say a heartfelt thanks and 'God bless' like others who have replied to your post.

SLR

10. Yes that is accurate.

(The heady days of learning bugle calls at Sir John Moore Barracks come flooding back, such was the ways of joining the RGJ's at 16).

11. C_T
    I agree with the comments above, Fold the flag and don't worry about a right or wrong way. Thank you.

12. I think only the RN have an actual flag-folding drill.

13. Good work CT - hope everything goes to plan.

IMHO, I would be very moved to see the Union flag being folded

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Nice one CT.
    If you get the chance or someone does,could you post some pics here please.It'd be interesting to see.
    Spike

15. It'd be even nicerer to watch it if it were filmed.

MsG