Pope Visits Auschwitz

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Phil306, May 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was he visiting his old guard tower?
  2. He left an MFO box behind when he was posted!
  3. A lot of black uniforms in that picture :D
  4. I visited Auschwitz many years ago, a truley shocking and horrid place. But it must be seen to understand what such horror went on there.
  5. The Pope announced "a silence which itself is a heartfelt cry to God: Why, Lord, did you remain silent?"
    I think he should have asked why the Vatican remained silent at the time. :oops:
  6. Yes your correct but I dont think the Vatican could have done very much against the Nazi's and Hitler. If Hitler had his way he would have turned the Vatican into a car park for the Panzer fleet!!
  7. Someone warn the Pope to beware the fourth Reich, dug in, in skeleton order
  9. Same mate. I share the sentiment.
  10. I don't know, you've got to remember the timeframe they were operating in. The Pope had a fair amount of moral authority that people actually listened to back then and most often heeded. If he'd stood up and said that Hitler and what he stood for was evil and shouldn't be co-operated with, figuring that say a third of the German population is/was Catholic, that could have conceivably thrown a spanner in the works. Or possibly just opened up the Church to being burnt to the ground and all the priests slung in das klink next to the Jews, Roma and other assorted unlucky bastards. Who can say? :|
  11. And you think that Dr Goebells would have let the German population actually hear the Pope saying this? Besides, elements of the Church in Italy helped SS men escape after the war, a regrettable chapter in the Church's history.
  12. Oh I know, you should read what the Church in Croatia supposedly got up to during and after the war. Not exactly nice stuff.

As for whether they'd have allowed him to say it, I don't know. He already had Vatican Radio and unless he anounced ahead of time what he was planning I don't think the Germans could have jammed him on the fly. Back it up with an Papal Encyclical or Bull sent out to the Bishops of the different diocese so that it can't be written off as Allied black propoganda and it 'd be pretty hard to keep word from getting out. But they'd already broadcast about the Polish and Jewish ghettoisation and attacks on Church property in Poland back in 1940 and that doesn't seemed to have done much.

But we're debating could have dones and what might have beens from sixty years back and could probably keep going aroung around and around all night so I'll leave it at that. :)
  13. Get your history right before you make such childish comments.

Ratzinger joined the Hitler Youth as membership was legally required after December 1936. He was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings. His father was a bitter enemy of Nazism, because he believed it was in conflict with their faith. In 1941 one of Ratzinger's cousins with Down's Syndrome was murdered by the Nazi regime. In 1943, when he was 16, Ratzinger was drafted with many of his classmates into the Luftwaffenhelfer programme. After his class was released from the Corps in September 1944, Ratzinger was put to work setting up anti-tank defences in the Hungarian border area of Austria in preparation for the expected Red Army offensive. He was eventually drafted into the German army at Munich to receive basic infantry training in the nearby town of Traunstein. His unit served at various posts around the city and was never sent to the front. Ratzinger was briefly interned in an Allied prisoner-of-war camp near Ulm and was repatriated on June 19, 1945. The family was reunited when his brother, Georg, returned after being repatriated from a prisoner-of-war camp in Italy.
  14. The leader of a present bigoted regime condemning the acts of a past bigoted regime.