Pope Rushed to the Hospital

At his age?????

They should have allowed him to retire instead of wheeling him out and propping him up.

that said, hopefully he will be OK but considering his health of late :?

F

fozzy

tomahawk6 said:
The Pope suffering from the flu had trouble breathing and has been rushed to the hospital. I hope he will make a speedy recovery.
I'm not a great fan of any religion, but I wish the old boy well and a quick recovery.
This is the guy that told the Soviets to shove it.

Last time I saw him speak on TV, I'm pretty sure what he really said was "Help me, I'm being held against my will. I just want to sleep"

ALL the jobs in the Vatican are up for grabs on appointment of a new Pope. A massive INDUSTRY exsists to keep him alive and in power. The ENTIRE establishment of powerful positions is dependant on the Pope.
john
PS Best of health to the gent, a true fighter, of both the Nazis and the Commies.

jonwilly said:
ALL the jobs in the Vatican are up for grabs on appointment of a new Pope. A massive INDUSTRY exsists to keep him alive and in power. The ENTIRE establishment of powerful positions is dependant on the Pope.
john
PS Best of health to the gent, a true fighter, of both the Nazis and the Commies.
"The Shoes of the Fisherman" ring any bells? He's had a good run,lasted a lot longer than his predecessor despite Mehmet Ali Agca

firestarter said:
"The Shoes of the Fisherman" ring any bells? He's had a good run,lasted a lot longer than his predecessor despite Mehmet Ali Agca
EVERY pope has lasted longer than John Paul the seconds predecessor, John Paul the first only lasted 33 days!

Beebs 8O

blessed baby cakes said:
firestarter said:
EVERY pope has lasted longer than John Paul the seconds predecessor, John Paul the first only lasted 33 days!

Beebs 8O
"What's the difference between a Pope and a gobstopper?"

"A gobstopper lasts longer" :lol:

blessed baby cakes said:
firestarter said:

Beebs 8O
Apart from "Pope Joan" :lol:

First Yasser Arafat, soon to add the Pope, my dead pool names are suddenly coming good. Come on George Best, get back in the pub.

Yes, imagine being supportive of an organisation that is founded on false propaganda, rules by fear of retaliation, places its needs above all others to the extent that the individual is of almost no importance, and has conducted massive social engineering to ensure its continued existence and retention of its obscene wealth.

And then there are the Nazis and Communsist too.

BlotBangRub said:
...imagine being supportive of an organisation that is founded on false propaganda, rules by fear of retaliation, places its needs above all others to the extent that the individual is of almost no importance, and has conducted massive social engineering to ensure its continued existence and retention of its obscene wealth.

And then there are the Nazis and Communsist too.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear,......someone has been overdosing on The DaVinci Code and other assorted anti-clerical rubbish. Despite longstanding attempts to blacken the reputation of the Church, it might serve some of the mudslingers better to actually study the history of the Church....such as the essential unity and structure it gave to Europe during the Dark Ages, its patronage of artists and other artisans of the Renaissance, its continued involvement in education, its championing of the Christian cause in the face of the threat from the Ottomans, its oppostiion to Napoleon, its opposition to Hitler (despite myth-history that portrays Pius XII as 'Hitler's pope'; the hundreds of clergymen murdered by the Nazis before and after July 1944?), its opposition to Communism and the massive suffering of the Church behind the Iron Curtain......

The Church, like any other organisation, has enormous problems, but it is all too easy to put the boot into it...it's the unthinking, intellectually lazy default position of the right-on liberal.

dui-lai said:
At his age?????

They should have allowed him to retire instead of wheeling him out and propping him up.

that said, hopefully he will be OK but considering his health of late :?
He can actually stand down if he wishes. Cardinals can continue to work on until the end of their lives, but the "college of cardinals" that elects a new pope is limited in number to 120 and they must be under the age of 75, so although there are more cardinals kicking about in various posts they are technically retired from the Collegium.

His health has been in decline for some years. I remember seeing him in St Peter's in 1996 and again in 2000, and the 2 photographs from the public audiences show a marked difference in his physical stature. Although his physical health is failing him, his mind is still as sharp as a tack!

Gallowglass I was referring to the Roman Catholic Church, not just "the Church" as you suggest in your rather patronising reply. An important distinction.

Believe it or not some people in the world have rejected this monstrosity, and have done so quite a few years prior to the publishing of the book to which you refer.

The old joke of the Pope being a man who kisses the ground and walks on women has been around a lot longer than the da Vinci Code.

JP II's pronouncements on population control in areas like the Philippines and South America have caused massive suffering in places where "no" is not an option for women and ante and peri-natal care are extremely limited. His method of curbing the spread of HIV doesn't seem to have been too effective either.........it had a predictably low take-up rate :roll:

Add to turning 'a blind eye' rather than 'the other cheek' when it come to Kidy Fiddling. :oops:

I am sure that is not in the DaVinci Code.

Bloody hell! I'm no big fan of the Church myself, but there are some seriously anti people on this thread. I'm sure that the Pope is basically a very nice man and I wish him well. Not sure he's ever been accused of kiddy fiddling though - thought that was Jehovah Witnesses?

One case of many in very signifacnt scandal in the US:

NY Times: Judge in Trial of Former Priest Drops 1 of 3 Child-Rape Counts
By KATIE ZEZIMA

Published: February 1, 2005

AMBRIDGE, Mass., Jan. 31 - A judge threw out one of three child-rape charges against a defrocked priest on Monday after a defense lawyer argued that prosecutors had not produced enough evidence to support the charge.

The judge, Stephen A. Neel of Middlesex Superior Court, will tell the jury not to decide whether the former priest, Paul R. Shanley, forced his accuser, now a 27-year-old firefighter, to perform oral sex on him at least once from 1983 to 1989. Two counts of child rape, alleging that Mr. Shanley had orally and digitally assaulted the boy, and two counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 still stand. Mr. Shanley, 74, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The accuser, who has asked that his identity be withheld, says that Mr. Shanley pulled him out of Christian doctrine classes and molested him in the church bathroom, the pews, the church confessional and the rectory. The firefighter testified last week that Mr. Shanley "unzipped my pants" and, if he had to use the bathroom, would watch. He also testified that Mr. Shanley would sometimes "kneel down and try to teach me how to perform oral sex."

Mr. Shanley's lawyer, Frank Mondano, argued that this did not support the accusation that the accuser performed oral sex on Mr. Shanley.

"There is absolutely not one scintilla of evidence in this case to support this indictment," Mr. Mondano said in court. Mr. Mondano contends that the accuser fabricated his story in early 2002 with three other men who had attended classes at the parish, St. Jean's in suburban Newton, to join a civil lawsuit filed against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston. The accuser received a $500,000 settlement last year from the archdiocese. The prosecutor recently dropped the other three men from the criminal case.

The prosecution rested its case on Monday. The defense will begin its case on Wednesday or Thursday.

Jailorinummqasr said:
One case of many in very signifacnt scandal in the US:

NY Times: Judge in Trial of Former Priest Drops 1 of 3 Child-Rape Counts
By KATIE ZEZIMA

Published: February 1, 2005

AMBRIDGE, Mass., Jan. 31 - A judge threw out one of three child-rape charges against a defrocked priest on Monday after a defense lawyer argued that prosecutors had not produced enough evidence to support the charge.

The judge, Stephen A. Neel of Middlesex Superior Court, will tell the jury not to decide whether the former priest, Paul R. Shanley, forced his accuser, now a 27-year-old firefighter, to perform oral sex on him at least once from 1983 to 1989. Two counts of child rape, alleging that Mr. Shanley had orally and digitally assaulted the boy, and two counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 still stand. Mr. Shanley, 74, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The accuser, who has asked that his identity be withheld, says that Mr. Shanley pulled him out of Christian doctrine classes and molested him in the church bathroom, the pews, the church confessional and the rectory. The firefighter testified last week that Mr. Shanley "unzipped my pants" and, if he had to use the bathroom, would watch. He also testified that Mr. Shanley would sometimes "kneel down and try to teach me how to perform oral sex."

Mr. Shanley's lawyer, Frank Mondano, argued that this did not support the accusation that the accuser performed oral sex on Mr. Shanley.

"There is absolutely not one scintilla of evidence in this case to support this indictment," Mr. Mondano said in court. Mr. Mondano contends that the accuser fabricated his story in early 2002 with three other men who had attended classes at the parish, St. Jean's in suburban Newton, to join a civil lawsuit filed against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston. The accuser received a $500,000 settlement last year from the archdiocese. The prosecutor recently dropped the other three men from the criminal case.

The prosecution rested its case on Monday. The defense will begin its case on Wednesday or Thursday.
Can't see anything on there saying anyone has been found guilty?

BlotBangRub said:
Gallowglass I was referring to the Roman Catholic Church, not just "the Church" as you suggest in your rather patronising reply. An important distinction.

Believe it or not some people in the world have rejected this monstrosity, and have done so quite a few years prior to the publishing of the book to which you refer.
My apologies...it was rather patronising, but then that's only to be expected from a Catholic apologist :D (and I am weary of listening to anti-Catholic conspirazoids blathering on about the Catholic Church - this is not aimed at BlotBangRub). I would have thought that it was obvious that my use of the term 'the Church' meant the Roman Catholic Church, in the context of the forum topic.

Certainly, it is easy to take issue with the social policies advocated by the current pontiff, particularly in the context of AIDS, and I hardly need to be reminded about child-abuse, coming as I do from Ireland. However, what I was taking issue with was the sweeping generalisations made by BlotBangRub concerning the Catholic Church: "an organisation that is founded on false propaganda, rules by fear of retaliation, places its needs above all others to the extent that the individual is of almost no importance, and has conducted massive social engineering to ensure its continued existence and retention of its obscene wealth". Well, that's the Catholic Church carted-off to the knackers' yard isn't it?....and no doubt all those chanting about the evils of said Church, and calling for its modernisation/abolition have something ready to replace it?

I think that the day has long passed when it is regarded as sophisticated to say 'I don't believe' - as I have said, it is often the default position for the intellectually lazy. By all means defend atheism rationally, but slagging off the Catholic Church is cheap and not very clever.