Pop3 mail

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by sirbhp, May 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

MY E mail accounts have died on my desktop and my laptop.

the lap top has been in a cupboard for three weeks not used .

I cannot get my pop 3 to accept my account password at all. I have deleted the account and started from scratch and it still does not like my username / password. ( which i have written down from the last time this happened Aug 2012 ,)

I have screen dumps of the account setup from when it last worked Aug 2012 and have copies all the boxes as per .

I have deleted and created four other accounts using different passwords to no avail.
    Scanned for Virus and mal-aware found two mal-awares and they have been killed.

my internet connection is working ok , the outgoing mail seems to be connecting on the test but cannot open the incoming mail. So what do you think is the problem please ?

oh I cleared off the last couple of programmes I downloaded before the crash , including updates of Java which in the past conflicted with Firefox . what ferk is Java Juke box when it is at home ??

Cheers troops , I am off for a nervous breakdown until tomorrow .

2. Where did you create the other accounts? Hopefully, you'll say on the server.

It sounds like a POP server issue, either the service itself or the authentication connector. PM me the hostname if you want and I can have a poke from here if you like

3. My provider has big problems with this at the moment. Sounds like your provider has a similar problem.

4. Which is why I've been running my mail off my own server for years now - no one to blame but myself if it fucks up

5. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I am with Talktalk, and guess what . a spiv yes a real spiv knocked on my door yesterday to tell me that because they have upgraded the exchange one mile as the crow from from me , that I should be getting free broadband .

last time they said that with the new cable i should be getting ten million megs speed... as they were stood standing under the copper telephone wire into my home .

I get err: Authentication failed etc .

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Right , Just to add to the mix . Gone back to the screen dump which matches the id and password Talk talk gave me .
    however my wifes email accounts are working fine .

I just cannot get incoming mail authentication, did mal aware and virus check etc restored to earlier time .

Any suggestions now at all ? I have gone grey trying to work this out . my password is all lower case as well as it should be .

7. Had the same problem with Virgin Media and my Mac., gave the tech people access to my Mac but after 21/2 hours they gave up. Installed Thunderbird and got connected straight away. Still cannot get mac mail to accept pop3 server or password, worked ok for about 6 years no problems.

8. My emails aren't showing either, the show as downloading and virus scan then they disappear. Last email through was Tuesday. That is using outlook and two different accounts.

Sent from my HTC Desire using ARRSE mobile app

9. My theory is that there is a big "cyber" attack going on.

I'm fucked if I can get myself registered with the DSS website, the Army recruiting site is fucked, I'm told parts of the NHS websites and systems are bollocksed, and it would seem that at least locally the schools websites are having various problems

10. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

so whats thunderbird then?

the mail accounts for me and the wife are on the same pooter

11. Firefox email

12. Have this link: https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird

It's an e-mail client produced by the same people who brought you "Firefox"

If you are really up for a challenge you might consider "Seamonkey" - an advanced version of Firefox/Thunderbird in one programme.

Link: The SeaMonkey® Project

• Like Like x 1
  13. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

right goddit .
    it's my password that has gone diffy. couldn't log into my talktalk as it rejected all of my written down passwords. however it did ark me to send a email asking for my password and they will e mail it to me !!

So its a phone call on monday to them to see if i can get a new password over the phone . I bet that is going to be a laugh.

14. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

right goddit .
    it's my password that has gone diffy. couldn't log into my talktalk as it rejected all of my written down passwords. however it did arsk me to send a email asking for my password and they will e mail it to me !!

So its a phone call on monday to them to see if i can get a new password over the phone . I bet that is going to be a laugh.

thanks troops , finally do you think that my password was hacked ? every thing else works ok and i use lots of passwors