Pop Ups,

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by B_AND_T, Sep 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Only just notice it but I am getting pop ups on the Forums page for some sort of Internet competition. Bearing in mind I am on DII is anyone else getting this?

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

You certainly shouldn't be - can you identify any particular ad that is doing it and we will terminate it with extreme prejudice

3. This the sort of thing you mean.....

[​IMG]

maybe not a 'po-up' as such, but the only competition type thing that keeps proffering itself in my direction on the main forum board.

There's usually a couple of them lurking.

4. Yes same detail. There are two of them one for an A3 and something for someone else. 2235hrs BST 2 Oct.

5. Just seen them again; 1630hrs BST 5 OCT

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Unfortunately without advertising this site would fold, so it's a necessary evil. My aim is to place it, but without interfering with site use, and I don't think those ads do. In fact those 3 ads on the forum index have been there for years now, but just not as obvious as that.

I'll take opinions of course, but I don't see those ads as causing any usability problems and there is a solid argument that if you don't like them, don't click on them.

Actual pop-ups would be a different matter. They are bloody annoying, as are those hyperlink words that have ads in, or advert posts in the middle of threads as some sites do. Therefore we don't do that. I hope we've got the balance right.

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

GCO,

You have got the balance spot on. It was just that this was the first time I had seen them on the site.

8. Yep I've just seen for the first time too.