"Pop a pill - Go and Kill" - US Friendly Fire

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Mr_Bridger, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Yes - Let 'em Get Whacked out of their brains

2. No - Not while we're in the same hemisphere

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies, Gents,

I not prone to the odd rant...however this really does grip me... US Pilots are issued with "Uppers and Downers" to get them through a day in the field, and usage rates are in the region of upto 96%. Indeed pilots may be excluded from certain sorties if they don't take them... and we wonder why our boys come back in F***ing body bags. Not only that but these pillocks are allowed to "self medicate". If a pilot in the RAF, AAC or Navy was drug tested and found with this shit in his system he would be out on his backside with no pension.

Words Fail.

Decide for yourself...

"Pop Pills and Go Kill - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_re_as/afghanistan

An Air Force surgeon, a guest on CNN's Q&A programme, had no hesitation in extolling the virtues of the innocuous sounding "go-pills" during combat missions. He explained that they often save the lives of exhausted pilots, and that fatigue kills. He also admitted that pilots are allowed to self-medicate and that reluctance by airmen to take such stimulants could mean that they would be excluded from a particular mission.

But do they increase the risk of "collateral damage" (a callous expression) at the hands of hyped up young men and women with their fingers on the button? "

(xcerpt from : http://www.rense.com/general34/flyinghighamerican.htm)

A rough tally to date from what I could find in about an hour of surfing the web. The stories of the Fusiliers in the Gulf War and the attack on the Blues and Royals on Op Telic I was aware of.... but on doing a little digging the results are quite shocking:

Sep 4 2006 - Afghanistan

Two U.S. warplanes accidentally strafed their own forces in southern Afghanistan on Monday, killing one Canadian soldier and seriously wounding five others.

28 March 2003 - Iraq

This involved armoured recce of the Blues and Royals and Spartans from 36 Engr Regt Recce Tp. They were overflown by a flight of 5 A-10s when one peeled off and attacked. They were not close to any Iraqi forces and were flying UK flags.

1 Dead (LCpl of Horse Matty Hull) and several injured

April 2002 - Afghanistan

In the worst friendly-fire incident of the campaign, four Canadian soldiers of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry were killed and eight injured in April when an American pilot dropped a 500lb laser-guided bomb on their position.

When you look at the original story of the [Canadian] friendly-fire incident it seems that the pilot was being inexplicably aggressive. It goes beyond fatigue or lack of experience or [being a] cowboy or trigger happy or any of the standard prosaic explanations. The simplest explanation is that the guy had eaten too much speed and was paranoid."

- Reports reveal eight other friendly-fire close calls occurred in the month before April accident.

March 2002 - Afghanistan

Four Americans, four Canadians and 10 Afghan soldiers killed by friendly fire.

The biggest – and most costly – battle for American forces in Afghanistan was Operation Anaconda, the assault last March on al Qaeda’s last stronghold. Apache helicopters and other aircraft were providing cover for troops on the ground. Then the Apaches started taking hits, and so did the men on the ground.

1994? Iraq - Northern No Fly Zone

Two Air Force jets patrolling Iraq’s northern no-fly zone mistook a pair of Black Hawk helicopters for Iraqi aircraft and shot them down -- 15 more Americans killed by friendly fire.

August 1991 - Iraq

The Pentagon disclosed yesterday that 35 of the 148 American servicemen and women who perished on the battlefield in the Persian Gulf War were killed inadvertently by their comrades, an extraordinary proportion by historical standards and more than three times the number previously acknowledged

In Summary there were "nine attacks by airplanes or helicopters on ground forces (11 killed, 15 wounded); (note - these are only American casualties)

JANUARY 23

Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt fired on a 1st Marine Division observation post; no casualties.

JANUARY 24

One Marine and one sailor from 1st Marine Expeditionary Force wounded when an A-10 strafed a Marine Humvee and a five-ton truck about 60 miles west of Khafji, Saudi Arabia.

One killed, two wounded in 1st Marine Division by 500-pound bombs when their vehicles were mistaken for Iraqi vehicles during attack by Marine A-6E jet.

Two wounded in 1st Cavalry Division when HARM missile fired by Air Force F-4G missed target.

"Mid Feb"
    mid Feb: Saudi 8th Brigade was bombed by a USMC A-6E 12 miles

Two killed, six wounded in 1st Infantry Division and one ground surveillance vehicle damaged when Hellfire missile from AH-64 Apache helicopter struck their Bradley Fighting Vehicle (BFV).

One killed, one wounded in 1st Marine Division when a HARM from unknown source struck radar unit.

They do not include allied deaths at the hands of American Pilots :

3 Bn Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. Nine men killed and 12 seriously wounded when an American A10 Tankbuster aircraft mistook them for Iraqi troops.

"It is a lack of care by U.S. pilots who should take more care," Larpent said. (Former CO 3rd Bn)
  2. msr

msr LE

This is a bit hard to blame on a pilot taking drugs:

JANUARY 29

Seven killed, two wounded in 1st Marine Division when a Maverick missile fired by an A-10 malfunctioned and hit an LAV.

3. In the 1980's I was chatting with an American Soldier on the annual RMP March in Chichester, who admitted that he an his colleagues were "stoned" much of the time.
  4. It's not exactly news either, it's been common knowledge for years.

Blue on blues are not only the preserve of the Americans (on speed or otherwise) either, they are a regrettable fact of life when quick decisions have to be made. Take a look at the amount of blue on blues in the Falklands for example.

By the way, you should add a 'No they should buy their own like the rest of us' option on your poll.
  5. Is it only US pilots who are given dexadrine in combat situations????
  6. plenty of RAF pilots get given either sleeping pills to ensure proper number of hours of sleep before flying or sometime pills to keep them awake

and that is not just fast jet pilots in operational situations, transpport crews at busy times also are given them
  7. Indeed.

I was pretty sure that I had heard of the pill before I had to start taking them. Not that I'm aircrew, or even ex aircrew - it's just that I have narcolepsy and take it to stay awake
  8. Nothing newe. The Pegasus Bridge musuem in Normandy includes a packet of benzidrine uppers issued to allied forces landing on D Day.
  9. Take amphetamines to fight a war,
    They give you medals by the score,
    Take amphetamines in civvie street,
    Your name goes on the charge sheet.

Kill a man in the heat of battle,
    They consider you a man of mettle,
    Kill a man in the heat of passion,
    They'll string you up like it's out of fashion...
  10. To answer your question in another way, it is not just pilots who can be issued with these pills. I have worked alongside US land forces personnel who had them and were quite surprised to hear that we didnt.
  11. Or your Somali militiaman tooling around in his Toyota technical, kranked up on khat, just like his Abyssynian forebears for the last few thousand years.
    Theres nothing new under the sun.
  12. In fact drugs and warfare have went hand in hand for centuries. Like the Viking Berserkers drinking magic mushrooms mashed in mead, Nelson's sailors getting drunk on rum whilst Wellington's troops got pished on gin, I'm sure there are many other examples in history.
  13. The point I was making was that our pilots do take dexadrine - as far as I understand (confirmed by felix)
  14. Never heard of any ground troops taking it (not lately anyway, it happened in the 1960s, but who wasn't on drugs then?).
  15. According to listings of ration roll's for my regiment in 1815, every Dragoon had a daily ration of a quart of gin ..............Yeeeeeehaaa !!