Poor UK education standards

Mbongwe

War Hero
Horses for courses, of course, but I was recently congratulated by a passing station cleaner for reading "a real book" rather than having a screen in front of me.

I also have an engineering friend who keeps a slide rule - which his younger staff seem to file as "ritual object" (museum speak for "we don't know what this is or did but it seems important"). Not to mention the kids who had it drilled into them that hand written thank you cards generate more good will than a text, which their grandparents are highly unlikely to see anyway.
Good on you, @oldnotbold. And the kind of point you've bolded also yields dividends once they reach the workplace (not that that's something they should be judged on...)

Mbongwe

War Hero
Ah, right. I guess it's just the entire rest of the world that's got it wrong, then.
The point that you, @amazing__lobster and @Dreamseller et al seem to be missing is that it's not the tool (whether that be pen and paper or smartphone) that's the difference, it's that the fact that few people seem to be using it for, well, purposeful purposes (in terms of study etc).

The fact is that using old-fashioned study tools e.g. pen and notebook it was very difficult to get distracted; the same can't be said for using a smartphone. Get it?

The point that you, @amazing__lobster and @Dreamseller et al seem to be missing is that it's not the tool (whether that be pen and paper or smartphone) that's the difference, it's that the fact that few people seem to be using it for, well, purposeful purposes (in terms of study etc).

The fact is that using old-fashioned study tools e.g. pen and notebook it was very difficult to get distracted; the same can't be said for using a smartphone. Get it?
100% get it, just don't feel it is such a widespread issue that others feel it. Oh I don't know, I used to simply fall back to doodling all over mine when I was meant to be writing something more substansive.

Mbongwe

War Hero
100% get it, just don't feel it is such a widespread issue that others feel it. Oh I don't know, I used to simply fall back to doodling all over mine when I was meant to be writing something more substansive.
Each to their own.

The fact is that using old-fashioned study tools e.g. pen and notebook it was very difficult to get distracted
I don't find that to be true. How easily distracted I am depends on my mood and energy levels, not the tools I'm using.

If a pen and paper make distraction difficult, we'd have less doodling for one thing.

Mbongwe

War Hero
I don't find that to be true. How easily distracted I am depends on my mood and energy levels, not the tools I'm using.

If a pen and paper make distraction difficult, we'd have less doodling for one thing.
One's mileage may vary, horses for courses etc.

You part with books? How do you sleep at night?

I'm afraid I hoard books. Thank Odin for the Kindle or I'd have run out of space by now.

I was being hypothetical.
I'm still recovering from ex-no 2's strange vicissitude in disposing of my library when we split. Strange how women know just where to cast the poisoned dart. meh.

I have a suspicion that doodling may be slightly more beneficial than needing to trawl through Facesnappytokker and other social media platforms:

ARRSE, of course, is an exception to the rule, especially our own dear NAAFI.

You’re right. Nobody got distracted before smartphones…

“And this you can see is the bolt. The purpose of this
Is to open the breech, as you see. We can slide it
Rapidly backwards and forwards: we call this
Easing the spring. And rapidly backwards and forwards
The early bees are assaulting and fumbling the flowers:
They call it easing the Spring.”

endure

GCM
I have a suspicion that doodling may be slightly more beneficial than needing to trawl through Facesnappytokker and other social media platforms:

ARRSE, of course, is an exception to the rule, especially our own dear NAAFI.
Thinking in the NAAFI? Don't be absurd :lol:

Thinking in the NAAFI? Don't be absurd :lol:

Au contraire, Monsieur Endure. I find some of the finest witticisms and repartee in the English-speaking world occur within those hallowed walls. Ah, et les flounces - ils sont magnifiques, n'est-ce pas ?

Mbongwe

War Hero
You’re right. Nobody got distracted before smartphones…

“And this you can see is the bolt. The purpose of this
Is to open the breech, as you see. We can slide it
Rapidly backwards and forwards: we call this
Easing the spring. And rapidly backwards and forwards
The early bees are assaulting and fumbling the flowers:
They call it easing the Spring.”
Poetic, but that's gone "whoosh" over my head :D!

OldieD

MIA
You part with books? How do you sleep at night?

I'm afraid I hoard books. Thank Odin for the Kindle or I'd have run out of space by now.
32 years ago when I moved to my present residence I moved 3 tons of (paper) books here, First thing I did was add 200m of shelving. No room for many more paper books these days as I've run out of places to put bookcases. These days I buy or otherwise acquire ebooks. Currently enough to keep me going for approximately a century after my probable life expectancy. These days a paper book has to be written by someone I know before it gets space in my house.

Last edited:

OldieD

MIA
Or if you are from my generation, colouring it in with a highlighter. Which I always regarded as vandalism. That said, colouring in (Or photocopying or in extreme cases buying) a book was sort of the equivalent of having read and understood it... Which is why it took a couple of tries to get my first degree.

32 years ago when I moved to my present residence I moved 3 tons of (paper) books here, First thing I did was add 200m of shelving. No room for much more paper books these days as I've run out of places to put bookcases. These days I buy or otherwise acquire ebooks. Currently enough to keep me going for approximately a century after my probable life expectancy. These days a paper book has to be written by someone I know before it gets space in my house.

You lucky, lucky bar steward.

OldieD

MIA
You lucky, lucky bar steward.
Agreed.
I am.
Have had a major book habit since I learned to read about 58 years ago. A habit encouraged by my parents who were a professor and a teacher. How could I not get the habit? Unfortunately my brother (Who worked for Crab Air for 25 years) didn't get the habit. That said, his Crab Air intro to meteorology would probably have got him a degree in it from Edinburgh when I was there.