Poor UK education standards

... if we want to play that game, you might as well complete the series:

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
Those who can't teach teachers, do educational research.
Those who can't do educational research, become government education consultants.

Completed by a Senior Lecturer....
If we're going to take this to the logical conclusion OFSTED inspectors belong at the bottom, the pile of educational traffic wardens.

Last edited:

HE117

LE
If we're going to take this to the logical conclusion OFSTED inspectors belong at the bottom, the pile of educational traffic wardens.
... I have no issue with that!

I have experience of both setted and mixed ability classes, and I don't believe the 'research.' As with many things, if you want to support a case, you will manipulate the figures until they appear to support your findings. We live in an era of fake news, why would left wing woke educators not stoop to the tactics that all governmental bodies use?
My daughter's a bright spark (must get it from her Mum). She is white, but certainly not privileged. We chose her secondary school because they streamed by ability in all core subjects from the off. Mini stain in top streams for everything, and loving school. One year in, they announced that English will now be taught in a mixed ability setting, as this has been 'proven to give better results'.
'Better for who?' I asked them, because you can't kid a kidder.
Despite repeated emails and a meeting asking to be directed to 'research' that shows that my (high achieving) daughter's attainment will be improved, nothing has been forthcoming. Surprise, surprise.

In my experience of a streamed environment changing to a mixed setting, the mid and higher attaining children no longer feel comfortable to engage with teacher, and ask/answer questions/ show passion for the subject. More of the teacher's time is spent dealing with bellendery from the cheap seats.

My daughter's experience reflects the exact same thing. For the teacher, teaching 'bottom set' is like pulling teeth and playing wack a mole for 50 mins. Some reduction in that stress is reduced by diluting the bellends through all the groups, but at what cost to the other two thirds of the kids?

As has been said, it's all about the parents and the home. Those that come from a home where they've never seen anyone work, and their income stream is benefits and low level weed dealing are lost to society for ever. At best they will be functionally useless but relatively harmless, at worst they will be a menace to society.
Ever increasing amounts of money have been thrown at this issue, with no tangible long term improvement. We just keep doing it because we don't know what else to do/don't have the balls or are too hamstrung by the woke brigade to do what we need to do.
Someone here posted an interesting observation that children from homes where books are evident tend to do better than those where the family just sit in front of the idiot box and drool.

Someone here posted an interesting observation that children from homes where books are evident tend to do better than those where the family just sit in front of the idiot box and drool.
My daughter (no pics available) has been househunting and forwarding me the details of potential viewings for my yay or nay.
There's a fascinating correlation between the numbers of books visible in the various rooms, lots =small but functional TV, none equals BFO TV and bookshelves full of DVDs and games.
Saddest of all is a kids bedroom with no books at all.

Yokel

LE
I suppose they get practice in reading, and do not see it as an odd thing to do. American research shows that boys are not enthused about reading things they find boring, and the the feminisation of the syllabus means boys do not get access to books that interest them.

Christina Hoff Summers has written and spoken about this widely - she has a few videos on YouTube.

My daughter (no pics available) has been househunting and forwarding me the details of potential viewings for my yay or nay.
There's a fascinating correlation between the numbers of books visible in the various rooms, lots =small but functional TV, none equals BFO TV and bookshelves full of DVDs and games.
Saddest of all is a kids bedroom with no books at all.
When I was at MB (92-94) there was an HEO there (female) who was married to a senior CS (Grad 5+ IIRC). By coincidence we lived in the same town in Kent. They invited us round for Sunday lunch once and after we left the GF and I puzzled over ‘what was wrong with the picture’.

After a while we got it. No books in the house. They weren’t chavs by any measure, but no books. Our house was busting at the seams (the GF and I had met during our history degrees at KCL).

I suspect most children’s later success in life is set by 5 years old.

I suspect most children’s later success in life is set by 5 years old.
According to my dog walker, their future is set in stone by 8.

Previously, she was a primary head (including the Army school in Fally) dealing with 2 or 3 hundred kids, so when she’s out with 5 dogs, and someone says “ooh, you’ve got your hands full” she either laughs or tells them to feck off...

Another Secondary Head in a grim Northern town told me his ambition was to get a book in every student‘s home. He binned that and became an Educational Psychologist, preferring to deal with one psycho at a time.

A friend tells me she lets the kids watch as much TV as they like, but she turns the sound off and the subtitles on, so the feckers have to read.

HE117

LE
To reflect the realities of Higher Education.
... not so much!

In reality, accepting a promoted post can lose tenure, which even then is a rare beast these days!

ugly

LE
A friend tells me she lets the kids watch as much TV as they like, but she turns the sound off and the subtitles on, so the feckers have to read.
Going by the quality of the subtitles I have seen on UK TV I would suggest that its a very retrograde step.

Going by the quality of the subtitles I have seen on UK TV I would suggest that its a very retrograde step.
True, but it encourages analysis and interpretation skills... I use it myself to overcome the ‘mumbling actors vs. outrageously loud background music’ situation.
And the tinnitus obviously...

... not so much!
Very much, in my experience. Good researchers get promoted more readily than good teachers, and are very often only too happy to ditch the teaching load onto more junior colleagues.

REF has a great deal to answer for.

HE117

LE
Very much, in my experience. Good researchers get promoted more readily than good teachers, and are very often only too happy to ditch the teaching load onto more junior colleagues.

REF has a great deal to answer for.
Oh I agree 100%..

I was referring to tenure, which in my institution tended to apply only to the teaching appointments.

Oh I agree 100%..

I was referring to tenure, which in my institution tended to apply only to the teaching appointments.
This is one of the reasons I bit the bullet and took up a lectureship at a post-92. I got my PhD in 2015 after doing U/G MSc a mature student and no way was I going to ride the post-doc merry-go round until my mid-late 40s. Luckily I made some good contacts during my PhD and first postdoc (no so much the second) that I am hoping I can get involved in projects and grants sufficiently (one contact has been really helpful actually, that I've now slotted into one of the local RG research groups), that I can move somewhere research intensive, on a permanent contract in a few years.

And what I witnessed whilst working on the continent seemed even worse than here - postdocs (who got their PhDs around the usual age) in their 40s (some supervising PhD students, despite having no guarantee they'll be around to finish the job!) some with around 30/40 good publications.

I would not recommend this career stream to anyone right now and I suspect it's not going to get better anytime soon.

Observations from the last week:

Things seem calmer than usual. Probably down to being early in the academic year but not having year groups mixing is probably helping as well (fucktards from different year groups tend to clump together and encourage each other to act the **** in lessons).

The lack of practical work is making my job very very dull in some respects but the kids are dealing with it pretty well. In hindsight they have a practical subject for around 3 hours out of 25 lesson hours per week and the rest of the time they sit still writing. Most classes have responded well to me saying I can't do anything yet so there's death by worksheet and we'll do things as soon as possible.

The H&S guidelines on practical work are ******* ludicrous - if I touch a Bunsen burner that then has to be quarantined for 72 hours. The bright side is the same rule applies to exercise books so I have a decent excuse for not marking their drivel :)

Most kids (roughly 95%+) are following rules on wearing masks in corridors, hand sanitiser, wiping down desks etc. Of the few that aren't most are forgetful and need reminding. The fact that they don't appreciate the underlying rationale so it's cargo cult infection control is neither here nor there.

I've discovered I like theory lessons where I'm the focus of attention (no surprises there). I've had some genuinely fun lessons with the younger ones discussing organ transplants, ethics, the multiple universe interpretation of quantum mechanics and the limits of science versus philosophy. Maybe I've been doing the job long enough in the same place to finally hit the point where it all sort of works.

Edit - I forgot, the hand gel burns nicely. I think it's mostly IPA rather than ethanol as the flame was more orange than blue so it won't get the little horrors pissed. Maybe Mong was thwarted on that aspect.

Last edited:

Latest Threads