Poor UK education standards

It actively encourages universities to chase foreign students and to run lower cost, higher margin arts courses.
Except the higher fee-paying foreign students tend not to take arts courses.

Yokel

LE
.. it depends very much on location and subject area, but lots of the Old Poly lot have been ditching hard science and engineering for softer (and cheaper..!) alternatives..

As to "research".. it all depends on what you define as "research".. if you have good, established and more importantly commercial or independently funded research and development streams then you are OK, but the whole ESRC thing always struck me as a huge self licking lollipop..

Those outside the guilded circle usually work by robbing the teaching budget...!
My Uni was a former Poly - but now has a solid reputation for various areas of Engineering, Maritime Subjects, and the Sciences. All of the research I knew about (within the Engineering types I interacted with) was in conjunction with BAE Systems, Rolls Royce, and a host of other major companies, or Government departments.

I trust this research paper meets your criteria:

The Development, Integration, and Validation of Aircraft Carrier Airwakes for Piloted Flight Simulation

Nearly thirty years before that, at another British university, another PhD candidate was doing work that would contribute to what would become the JSF/F-35B:

Active Control of V/STOL Aircraft

Last edited:

giatttt

Old-Salt
This is an example of the sort of thing we made as 12/13 year olds in metalwork on the lathe. I didn't take tech to O grade, so must have been that sort of age.

Edited to add that this is mine and I was using it yesterday
_20200915_101935.JPG

HE117

LE
This is an example of the sort of thing we made as 12/13 year olds in metalwork on the lathe. I didn't take tech to O grade, so must have been that sort of age.

View attachment 504615
Bob, is it a Plum?

HE117

LE
Checked it with a spirit level, and it's still within tolerance :)
Nice to see gravity is left switched on most of the time!

Nice plumb Bob. Somewhere I still have a coat hook I made in metalwork, from steel about 8mm thick. My Dad's comment upon being presented with the product Stain Junior's labour to put on his garage wall was 'What are you going to hang on that, the car?' Bless him.

View attachment 504615
DIY buttplugs isn't on a syllabus anywhere apart from Catholic schools.

I think the main difference is the ability of the private sector to be more selective and to group and stream individuals. The state sector has a habit of forcing mixed ability teaching, which inevitably comes down to dealing with the lowest common denominator and the Lauren Coopers of this world..

The other factor that lies behind the private teaching sector is the critical support of parents.. there is always the idiot rich, but a significant element of the intake is from the educationally supportive parents who decide to pony up for the teaching of their kids, often at great personal sacrifice...
The annoying thing is that educational research shows that mixed ability classes do better than streamed / set by ability classes. I still find it difficult to believe that but it is apparently true.

I've always taught in classes set by ability and I'm having to do some mixed ability stuff at the moment (the lockdown stopped the usual end of year assessments). It's nice that the ********* are spread out rather than all being in one room but as you say the more able don't get pushed as far as I would like as I'm spending time telling a kid how to spell my surname. Repeatedly :rolleyes:

Your second paragraph has hit the nail square on the head. If the parents give a toss chances are the kid will as well.

The annoying thing is that educational research shows that mixed ability classes do better than streamed / set by ability classes. I still find it difficult to believe that but it is apparently true.

I've always taught in classes set by ability and I'm having to do some mixed ability stuff at the moment (the lockdown stopped the usual end of year assessments). It's nice that the ********* are spread out rather than all being in one room but as you say the more able don't get pushed as far as I would like as I'm spending time telling a kid how to spell my surname. Repeatedly :rolleyes:

Your second paragraph has hit the nail square on the head. If the parents give a toss chances are the kid will as well.
What hope do we have for the educational future of our nation's children when - the teachers often look a bit like mass-murderers and...don't even have the forward planning / balls to realise they can have another glass of that single malt at 23:00 when they have an 08:45 tweed jacket with leather elbow pads start the morning after.

I bet you can't even remember the last time you scored a bullseye on a scrote's forehead with a well-aimed piece of chalk! I''' also bet that, upon knocking of your staffroom door - the pupils will NOT be greeted with a hefty cloud of cigarette smoke that puts the whole corridor into VFR for 20 minutes - nor will you be sneaking a quick fag begind the art block with the rest of the pupil smokers.

I want my kids to be taught by a bloke with a beard and nicotine stained fingers- who knows his way around a Black & Decker workbench - not one of these 'all hair gel & fancy loafers' types.

I'm holding YOU personally responsible for the decline in UK education standards. You are a cog in the wheel and thus must burden yourself with, and accept my judgement.

Caveat- I'm on rest days now and quite possibly 'leathered'.

I want my kids to be taught by a bloke with a beard and nicotine stained fingers- who knows his way around a Black & Decker workbench - not one of these 'all hair gel & fancy loafers' types.
You want your kids taught by Roadster?

HE117

LE
... yeah well!

Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.
Those who can't teach do educational research...!

I have experience of both setted and mixed ability classes, and I don't believe the 'research.' As with many things, if you want to support a case, you will manipulate the figures until they appear to support your findings. We live in an era of fake news, why would left wing woke educators not stoop to the tactics that all governmental bodies use?
My daughter's a bright spark (must get it from her Mum). She is white, but certainly not privileged. We chose her secondary school because they streamed by ability in all core subjects from the off. Mini stain in top streams for everything, and loving school. One year in, they announced that English will now be taught in a mixed ability setting, as this has been 'proven to give better results'.
'Better for who?' I asked them, because you can't kid a kidder.
Despite repeated emails and a meeting asking to be directed to 'research' that shows that my (high achieving) daughter's attainment will be improved, nothing has been forthcoming. Surprise, surprise.

In my experience of a streamed environment changing to a mixed setting, the mid and higher attaining children no longer feel comfortable to engage with teacher, and ask/answer questions/ show passion for the subject. More of the teacher's time is spent dealing with bellendery from the cheap seats.

My daughter's experience reflects the exact same thing. For the teacher, teaching 'bottom set' is like pulling teeth and playing wack a mole for 50 mins. Some reduction in that stress is reduced by diluting the bellends through all the groups, but at what cost to the other two thirds of the kids?

As has been said, it's all about the parents and the home. Those that come from a home where they've never seen anyone work, and their income stream is benefits and low level weed dealing are lost to society for ever. At best they will be functionally useless but relatively harmless, at worst they will be a menace to society.
Ever increasing amounts of money have been thrown at this issue, with no tangible long term improvement. We just keep doing it because we don't know what else to do/don't have the balls or are too hamstrung by the woke brigade to do what we need to do.

Last edited:
... yeah well!

Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.

I take it you’ve never had a flying lesson then... ;)
*avoids correcting punctuation...*

Ortholith, you are a worthy man.

I regard teachers with a mixture of admiration, pity and bewilderment. I thank my lucky stars on an almost daily basis that I decided to stop being one. My life (and life expectancy), my relationship with my family and my whole outlook on everything have changed beyond all measure since that decision.
It's a sad fact, but it is fact (that was from an NUT members survey while I was still in) from my own experience that a good proportion of your children are being taught by people who would walk away tomorrow if they could, but don't have another way to cover their mortgage. I wish them well, and an early escape.

In case you're wondering, I now get by on fraudulently claimed benefits and some low level weed dealing;)

... yeah well!

Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
Those who can't teach teachers, do educational research...!

Edited for accuracy (by a lecturer :rolleyes: )

HE117

LE
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach teachers, do educational research...!

Edited for accuracy (by a lecturer :rolleyes: )
... if we want to play that game, you might as well complete the series:

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach teachers, do educational research.
Those who can't do educational research, become government education consultants.

Completed by a Senior Lecturer....

Latest Threads