Poor UK education standards

Offa

War Hero

It'll be interesting to see the progress of this lad through to his undoubted eventual PhD or whatever he chooses to be his academic peak. I hope that progress is studied in light of his environment, both social and academic; Lessons can Be Learned.
He'll have to stay for around 10 years before he can get a rugby Blue.

Yokel

LE
However what does a kid that age miss out on? Shining academically is all very well, but without normal play and team activities with peers of his own age, he will find adult life and the job market hard.

The girls (late teens/early twenties) will look after him, but even that will disrupt normal development. You just cannot win!

oldnotbold

War Hero
A recent University Challenge match (Oxford/Cambridge, and described by Paxman as “clever clogs vs smarty pants”) produced these gems from eight of Britain’s brightest:

(1) The Tyne is a tributary of the Humber

(2) Uganda is on the west coast of Africa

and (best of all)

(3) Which ancient British leader was pardoned by the Emperor Claudius in c. 51AD, after resisting the Roman invasion?
Answer: Robert the Bruce.

They were also wholly unable to identify Schubert’s Ave Maria.

I used to wonder how the likes of Diane Abbott manage to get an Oxbridge degree, no matter how frivolous or pc its subject. I wonder no longer, and turn resignedly to drink.
Oh, there is better out there...A UC team stacked full of the SU hacks who wanted to be on telly completed the well-known saying or phrase "Coals to..." with "Coventry". Bummer, especially as they were actually representing Newcastle at the time

Yokel

LE
Oh, there is better out there...A UC team stacked full of the SU hacks who wanted to be on telly completed the well-known saying or phrase "Coals to..." with "Coventry". Bummer, especially as they were actually representing Newcastle at the time
Maybe none of them had heard the phrase? Perhaps the decline in coal mining and use means the phrase is used less these days?

The trouble with judging people by culture is that it assumes they have all had the same influences. Even formal testing like WAIS has this problem.

Latest Threads