Poor UK education standards

Its even worse now in some subjects. Got a Physics degree and no job? Do you PGCE and we will give you £30K to train, tax free. After that go and get a job elsewhere with the cash you saved.
If not, some school will hire you, on an inflated starting pay grade no matter how crap you are. Science teachers are in short supply.
foreign lang, computing, maths and one other I believe.

and it's £40k now...

Yokel

LE
Some people can do the teaching part, but not the class control and all that crap. Is there any route for them to get involved in teaching post 16 students and adult students who want to be there?

Someone might excel at teaching Pythagoras' theorem, or how to structure a letter, but not cope so well when faced with the 'too kool for skool' crowd. I wonder if some of the teachers that get broken might better of with more mature classes?

Some people can do the teaching part, but not the class control and all that crap. Is there any route for them to get involved in teaching post 16 students and adult students who want to be there?
University lecturers don't need any official teaching qualifications, nor (as far as I am aware) do post 16 teachers (FE and Sixth form colleges). Certainly there was a conversation had where I work last year about someone currently teaching at an FE college coming to us to do a PGCE. Then they looked at the money and decided to stay where they were.

Someone might excel at teaching Pythagoras' theorem, or how to structure a letter, but not cope so well when faced with the 'too kool for skool' crowd. I wonder if some of the teachers that get broken might better of with more mature classes?
I think that is much more to do with the school than the person. The burnout rate for trainees and NQTs is massively different depending on the school and intake.

My previous school in one year took in 5 NQTs. 3 had quit before the year ended and the other 2 got jobs in other schools as soon as possible. Compare to my current school, last year we had around 8 NQTs and at least 6 of them finished the year with 4 of them staying on until now.

A level results day today. I look forward to seeing students that worked hard doing well and those that coasted will get rather upset.

Then the usual newspaper articles about how any idiot could get 6 A's, the qualification being worthless and why we should go back to chalkboard dusters being flung at heads. Plus the entirely coincidental pictures of young ladies being in the photographs and the lads somewhere at the back.

Friends Daughter got the results she wanted to go to Leeds to read Criminology.
She wishes to become a Policewoman & sights are already on the Met & Commissionaire.
Her Dad will be her first arrest for walking on the cracks in the pavement or farting in Public!

I just like the traditional Telegraph front page, 3 x slender 18 year old girls in crop tops grinning at their results.
You can then turn to the editorial page for a thundering tome on how nonces should be strung up by the goolies and sigh contentedly as your views on humanity are once again validated.

Yokel

LE
No comments about the BTEC results yesterday? Apparently funding for vocational courses (which often still are very academic and can lead to Higher Education) has been cut over the last ten years.

What is so great about politicians who know about ancient Greek literature, or political theory, but have no experience of weighing up evidence? I speak as someone who once had a horrible time due to a superior with a degree in 'outdoor leisure studies

As someone on Room 101 once commented (ot might have been Frank Skinner) himself - if going to a tup school is so great, why are our politicians so crap?

You can then turn to the editorial page for a thundering tome on how nonces should be strung up by the goolies and sigh contentedly as your views on humanity are once again validated.
True.

Not as bad as the Star a few years ago with a scantily clad 15 year old on p3.... they were counting down to her 16th birthday before showing the educationally disadvantaged readership her perky mammary glands.

This was ages ago... God I'm old.

A level results day today. I look forward to seeing students that worked hard doing well and those that coasted will get rather upset.

Then the usual newspaper articles about how any idiot could get 6 A's, the qualification being worthless and why we should go back to chalkboard dusters being flung at heads. Plus the entirely coincidental pictures of young ladies being in the photographs and the lads somewhere at the back.
GMB Covered that this morning, one got the distinct impression whites have been deleted..... East Ham

A recent University Challenge match (Oxford/Cambridge, and described by Paxman as “clever clogs vs smarty pants”) produced these gems from eight of Britain’s brightest:

(1) The Tyne is a tributary of the Humber

(2) Uganda is on the west coast of Africa

and (best of all)

(3) Which ancient British leader was pardoned by the Emperor Claudius in c. 51AD, after resisting the Roman invasion?
Answer: Robert the Bruce.

They were also wholly unable to identify Schubert’s Ave Maria.

I used to wonder how the likes of Diane Abbott manage to get an Oxbridge degree, no matter how frivolous or pc its subject. I wonder no longer, and turn resignedly to drink.

Friends Daughter got the results she wanted to go to Leeds to read Criminology.
She wishes to become a Policewoman & sights are already on the Met & Commissionaire.
Her Dad will be her first arrest for walking on the cracks in the pavement or farting in Public!
No sense of humour eh? The perfect gift...
1565869692477.png

It works on so many levels.

A recent University Challenge match (Oxford/Cambridge, and described by Paxman as “clever clogs vs smarty pants”) produced these gems from eight of Britain’s brightest:

(1) The Tyne is a tributary of the Humber

(2) Uganda is on the west coast of Africa

and (best of all)

(3) Which ancient British leader was pardoned by the Emperor Claudius in c. 51AD, after resisting the Roman invasion?
Answer: Robert the Bruce.

They were also wholly unable to identify Schubert’s Ave Maria.

I used to wonder how the likes of Diane Abbott manage to get an Oxbridge degree, no matter how frivolous or pc its subject. I wonder no longer, and turn resignedly to drink.
I saw that. The Robert the Bruce answer. Paxman's response was was withering. “Robert the Bruce?”

Thou whoreson zed! Thou unnecessary letter!
Especially since the brand name is Taser, deriving from Thomas A Swift’s Electric Rifle and similarity with Laser ( Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation)

Latest Threads