Poor UK education standards

I'm no expert on this subject, but I found this column as horrifying as any other recent comment I've seen on 'education': Teaching children about LGBT issues is not brainwashing – it equips them for life | Russell Hobby

Get them young, it seems.

Edit: I know that it's not really in the spirit of the thread, but in the broader sense of 'standards', surely there's a limit.
Seems fair enough to me. The government has decided that he/she/they/xe/others are all equal under the law, hence schools have decided to teach that. If schools do not teach it, standby for the flood of "Gender insensitive transphobic racist schools" complaints.

The Grauniad said:
Russell Hobby is head of the teacher-training organisation Teach First
Burn her! Burn her with fire!

Seems fair enough to me. The government has decided that he/she/they/xe/others are all equal under the law, hence schools have decided to teach that. If schools do not teach it, standby for the flood of "Gender insensitive transphobic racist schools" complaints.

Burn her! Burn her with fire!
If the first page of 'Teach First's website isn't enough to horryify anyone, I won't go any further, although I see that all of the Executives of the organisation are white British people (from the PoW down), almost every photograph of a caring teacher or pupil is not. Very odd, patronising and strange, if not politically and virtuously, wonderfully diverse.

Edit: I hope they're in favour of x-tables, though.

Last edited:
If the first page of 'Teach First's website isn't enough to horryify anyone, I won't go any further, although I see that all of the Executives of the organisation are white British people (from the PoW down), almost every photograph of a caring teacher or pupil is not. Very odd, patronising and strange, if not politically and virtuously, wonderfully diverse..
Teach First was always a monumetal pisstake though. Take a 1st class graduate, ideally Oxbridge, and drop them into an inner-city school with a week's training. Then wonder why they ran screaming from the post less than a fortnight in.

A friend in teaching tells me it is becoming more common for children to begin their schooling still wearing nappie, and others not able to construct a sentence verbally, just saying 'toilet' or 'wee-wee' when they need to go. Apparently they can roll a crackin' spliff though.....
Some thirty-five years ago my mother was a teacher and moved to an 'inner-city' style (actually a large town) school. A very large proportion (quarter to a third is what I recall) of the children couldn't cope with what would be seen as 'normal' use of toilets, were always dirty, had a vocabulary (aged five+) of a couple of dozen words, would never talk unless forced to, were routinely violent to those around them etc. etc.

During their rare contacts with the school, the parents (or parent) would generally maintain that teaching the child toilet-training, to talk etc. was the job of the teacher, and that any children who didn't require this extra support were 'posh' and hence should be denigrated at every available opportunity. IIRC after a couple of years my mother moved back to a village school, with a promotion to deputy-head.

I still don't really understand the psychological problems that would cause a parent to damage their child, but it doesn't seem to be directly/solely linked to IQ or income.

I still don't really understand the psychological problems that would cause a parent to damage their child, but it doesn't seem to be directly/solely linked to IQ or income.
It's not a subject likely to be encouraged. It doesn't comply with current social niceties.

The problem lies with the people we elect to legislate; to determine our future social, and, I'm afraid, our moral basis for nationhood. The second of those bases is due to the fact that the Christianity which formed a previous, very successful one, is now effectively extinct except for a residual, last-generational memory. Those members of our legislature who still profess some attachment to it are ridiculed, and we seem to be left with politicians with more of an attachment to career-enhancing soundbites than to the rock of moral solidity.
I'm a very confirmed atheist, but I understand that the faiths (spit) and shared beliefs of any community are far more productive and progressive in terms of defining and straightening the paths of our youth than the Daily Mail/Twitter 'opinion' and patronising waffle which seems to comprise the public views of most of our national 'leaders'. 'Strong' leadership at the top doesn't seem to be possible any longer in our flawed brand of democracy.

Both of our kids went to a good boarding school. Partly funded through the MOD and FCO CEA scheme, but the next three years will be funded out of our pockets, burnongbwhat savings we have as I can now only work part time due to illness.

We have absolutely scrimped and saved to ensure that our kids have had a good education, especially as we did a series of foreign tours. Our son seems to have done very well in his first year at a decent university and our daughter - with professionally diagnosed dispraxia - gets the support she needs (she’s the brighter of the two). The teaching staff are excellent and I really wonder why anyone would want to teach at a city academy given the range of social problems teachers are expected to rectify.

And both of our kids are not sheltered snowflakes. They had the advantage of living in really interesting parts of the world and have visited refugee camps with me, for example. And on that point, I would love to drag some of these feckless parents (as reported above) by the scruff of their necks and show them conditions in these camps and say “look how fûcking lucky you are”. And what’s more, the drive of the parents in these camps to have their children educated is humbling.

Some thirty-five years ago my mother was a teacher and moved to an 'inner-city' style (actually a large town) school. A very large proportion (quarter to a third is what I recall) of the children couldn't cope with what would be seen as 'normal' use of toilets, were always dirty, had a vocabulary (aged five+) of a couple of dozen words, would never talk unless forced to, were routinely violent to those around them etc. etc.

During their rare contacts with the school, the parents (or parent) would generally maintain that teaching the child toilet-training, to talk etc. was the job of the teacher, and that any children who didn't require this extra support were 'posh' and hence should be denigrated at every available opportunity. IIRC after a couple of years my mother moved back to a village school, with a promotion to deputy-head.

Goes back to what I posted earlier - Those who know things are regarded as aberrations to be ridiculed, while ignorance is celebrated by the mouth breathers to validate their futile existence.

This is a self inflicted problem caused by removing any need to better ones situation and get ahead. Free money for booze and fags is a great demotivator while the kids go largely ignored. They grow up seeing ignorance as a normal condition. The fact the dole money is seen as a wage merely for existing should be setting off warning bells alles uber die platz.

Goes back to what I posted earlier - Those who know things are regarded as aberrations to be ridiculed, while ignorance is celebrated by the mouth breathers to validate their futile existence.

This is a self inflicted problem caused by removing any need to better ones situation and get ahead. Free money for booze and fags is a great demotivator while the kids go largely ignored. They grow up seeing ignorance as a normal condition. The fact the dole money is seen as a wage merely for existing should be setting off warning bells alles uber die platz.
Tax is a fine for being productive. Benefits are a reward for doing feck all.
*also available in cynical*

A friend in teaching tells me it is becoming more common for children to begin their schooling still wearing nappie, and others not able to construct a sentence verbally, just saying 'toilet' or 'wee-wee' when they need to go. Apparently they can roll a crackin' spliff though.....
Child abuse. The so-called parents need sterilizing. Or facial injuries which will make it significantly more unlikely to ever attract another breeding partner. And stripped of state pension.

Edexcel have had another exam paper leaked - Investigation after A-level paper leaked

The one thing Gove got right was that there should be one national exam board and everyone sits the same exam papers for each subject. Of course that is one of the changes he failed to actually implement.