Poor Reporting or a new calibre of hand gun?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Crash, Feb 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. from Today's Torygraph:

Oscar Pistorius, who has begun to cry again, had a license for the gun he killed Ms Steenkamp with. But there was an unlicensed 38mm pistol in the safe in his bedroom. Ms Steenkamp's slippers and an overnight bag were in the bedroom.

Here's the linky thing:

Oscar Pistorius murder charge: latest - Telegraph

The calibre is also repeated (geddit?) in the on-line banner. Shurely shome mishtake?

2. I had a quick google, and 38mm pistol turns up quite a lot, usually in the context of "talking shoite", like this example from eHow

There isn't evan a Glock that fires .38

3. 38mm? The sound of that going off would definately wake people up for miles around. Then there's the small matter of the recoil.

4. 4a5c9ed2-15d9-4a1d-8be5-5ae5353dcb46-460x276.jpeg

This is the weapon the new showed being taken from his gaff. Can anyone PID it? Looking at the bore I'd say 9mm or .380?

5. Gets my vote

6. Dress down day for SA plod then?

7. OFFS! .38"(inches, thats Fahrenheit in old money) .357"(inches in yards and feet rods and chains) .380" (cheap shoddy American inches) and 9mm are all the same ****ing calibre.

A 38mm pistol would certainly rattle the crockery at Bisley!

• Like Like x 2
  8. I don't think so mate- that's way too new for a South African off-ticket pistol and a few generations younger than the heap in the photo plus I think that the sig and all 1911 types would not look like the picture with the working parts to the rear. I'd be tempted to look at Makarov-type pistols from the 60's, or maybe even a cheap knock-off of a Browning 1910 or Walther PP type.

I wager it's an old family pistol that they never bothered registering.

9. The picture isn't that clear but it doesn't appear to have much in the way of sights if any. The trigger guard looks more rounded than a Sig more like a Browning pocket pistol as ooooh matron says. It might not even be the murder weapon as he owned several weapons and I assume they'd take the lot with them?

10. CZ 82 pictured below is not far off but maybe too large. I think SS is right that it's a little pocket pistol of some description which explains the absence of visible sights (the little browning etc had groove sights down the top slide if I recall).

Attached Files:

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it looks like a .25 to me or 7.65 - its certainly a lady gun

Lorcin-LT-25-courtesy-gunauction.com_.jpg

12. Well it's hardly cricket to shoot a lady with a gentleman's gun now, is it?

13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

Oscar-Pistorius-weapons.jpg

PAF junior maybe but its not on the list.