Poor recruitment creating a shortage?

ugly

LE
Ok since the thread was locked (no idea why) even before I got to have a look I thought how bad can it be?
Hundreds of places unfilled on British Army training courses as recruitment crisis mounts
Looking back to 1979, 3 million on the dole and I had to apply at 14 to get into the army two years later. We had 2 platoons in our September intake for each of the five companies at IJLB and folk were still being told to apply later. I was told that 250 deferral letters were sent out in my local area alone. I knew the nephew of the WO2 that ran the recruiting office and eventually ended up in his old rifle company. At selection centre the staff didn't seem interested, they had far more applicants than they ever could use and they seemed to know that the system would thin the herd.
In my company of the 75 in our intake only 25 passed out. More were binned at the divisional depots too.
How bad must it be that no one can get through the system?

Ok since the thread was locked (no idea why) even before I got to have a look I thought how bad can it be?
Hundreds of places unfilled on British Army training courses as recruitment crisis mounts
Looking back to 1979, 3 million on the dole and I had to apply at 14 to get into the army two years later. We had 2 platoons in our September intake for each of the five companies at IJLB and folk were still being told to apply later. I was told that 250 deferral letters were sent out in my local area alone. I knew the nephew of the WO2 that ran the recruiting office and eventually ended up in his old rifle company. At selection centre the staff didn't seem interested, they had far more applicants than they ever could use and they seemed to know that the system would thin the herd.
In my company of the 75 in our intake only 25 passed out. More were binned at the divisional depots too.
Either people can do better outside of the army (although Meerkatz the military oracle assures me people can't afford their own housing on civvie street) or people have such a safety net provided by the state they don't need a job.

Two lads have joined from the rugby club. One took seven months to get in, the other took eleven. Quite frankly, I would have jacked.

I applied in March '78, joined 2nd of May of the same year, worked out well for me... fast forward to 1980 and they were binning intakes in their droves

I was a Personnel Selection Officer at Sutton Coldfield circa 1989 until it closed (I then went to work in Cheshire when it closed and selection was decentralised). There were about 15 plus PSO and we interviewed 5 people a day, four days a week, so a typical week would see 300 or more going through the Centre. Not all were accepted but that's still an average of 250 per week given an intake date.

I wonder how that compares to the current figures?

I applied in March '78, joined 2nd of May of the same year, worked out well for me... fast forward to 1980 and they were binning intakes in their droves
Previous year to you, in basic, 44 of us formed up; 26 passed off, of those 26: 3 were other cap badges and 1 re-enlistment and those 3 joined around week 6 so a "wastage" rate of over 50 percent.

The drop out/failure in Phase 1 or 2 in 89/90 was 30%.

When I joined as an Army Apprentice at Carlisle in '63 I can only remember losing two men from a platoon of 30 plus in three years and one of those was just put back a term.

SmithSid

Old-Salt
We are now dealing with a generation of kids who weren't allowed to be competitive and win or lose in school at sports or anything else, and who's parents are soft as shite and half of them are Left-Wing Labour supporters - is it any wonder the Army is in Turbo Clip?

Latest Threads