"Poor Military Decision Making in Helmand has eroded Strategic Trust" ex CO 22 SAS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by smallbrownprivates, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Richard Williams, ex CO 22 SAS on R4 PM this afternoon made this (encapsulated) point at the end of an interesting interview with Eddie Mair.

BBC iPlayer - PM: 20/09/2010 (starts 22 Mins 16 Secs in runs to 33 mins 00 secs only until 27 Sep)

In the interview, he is critical of military decision making from 2001-2007, especially in light of the 2006 deployment and how operation design didn't take into account limited radio range and 6 helicopters.

When discussing the loss by the Political class of Strategic trust in the Military, he references a "Henry Kissenger moment" during the Vietnam war when Generals' assurance on conditions for victory were not any longer believed.

(any iplayer gurus out there know how to rip/podcast iplayer programmes before their 7 day run out?)

2. I caught this on R4 as I was driving home - compelling and persuasive.

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Richard Williams seems suddenly to be getting a great deal of air and print time.

I wonder if he has a book about to be published.......

4. You're not being cynical, are you?

5. You might be on to something - This article says he's been banned from camp due to allegations of being Urban's source so might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.

However, since he raised £2mil to start this off and is a non exec director of some firms (heritage oil & gem diamonds) , he might not really need to get a book out for cash, unless he wants to set a record straight, but he seems to be doing that quite freely on the airwaves and to parliament now

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

"The hymn, which ends, "He will not fear what men say, he will labour night and day, to be a pilgrim", was roared out by the special forces veterans at Hereford Cathedral.

One senior officer present there said yesterday: "In fact, they do care an awful lot about 'what men say'. For men so tough the SAS seem to be remarkably sensitive."

Lol...