Poor Mans Body Armour / Armor / Stabproof / Bulletproof

Ballistic Clipboard
The Idea was that you approached the car from the rear, held clipboard in front of you at the window and it reduced the available visible target if the occupant was the one you were looking for.

The mark1 bullet proof tunic would sort the rest.

the morale boosting words of wisdom “ of course if there is a shot into the clipboard you will get away with a broken wrist” , had an effect counter to what the instructor optimistically hoped.

even as a young sprog I thought it sounded like a really shit plan
We've actually got one of them in our Force museum.
wOfEsgL.jpg

kR8bRK3.jpg

We've actually got one of them in our Force museum.
wOfEsgL.jpg

kR8bRK3.jpg

That reminds me of the "Dog Shield" we were supposed to use.

It was a bit

iu

Much preferred the fire extinguisher method (and no, never killed the dog either).

Ballistic Clipboard
The Idea was that you approached the car from the rear, held clipboard in front of you at the window and it reduced the available visible target if the occupant was the one you were looking for.

The mark1 bullet proof tunic would sort the rest.

the morale boosting words of wisdom “ of course if there is a shot into the clipboard you will get away with a broken wrist” , had an effect counter to what the instructor optimistically hoped.

even as a young sprog I thought it sounded like a really shit plan

One of the driest remarks I ever heard was the advice to seek cover during a spontaneous firearms incident.

When someone suggested that might be hard, the old school PC simply said "Son, if someone's shooting at you, you'll be able to hide behind the white line down the middle of the road".

He had the air of someone who'd had to try that plan.

Crazy_Chester

Old-Salt
The ballistic clipboard. Issued to Met area car crews in the 80s a clipboard of some super bulletproof material with a massive wooden handle on the back. The theory being if you approached a motorist who then produced a gun you could place the clipboards between yourself and the gun thus making you bulletproof.

West Mids issued the same to me up until 2009 - I still don't understand / believe the ballistic protection it could offer. However it has served me well in its primary capacity

Football fans of a certain age may remember the old Chelsea Club or Millwall Brick.

Get a broadsheet newspaper, roll it up and bend it in half.

The bit at the bend becomes rock solid. I mean properly rock hard and can be used as an impromptu cosh.

Always worth grabbing a copy of the Times or Telegraph when you get on a plane. You never know.

Magazine, or a newspaper can do some serious damage if used well. In many places you can also carry a bonafide walking stick with no questions allowed to be asked. My lads Tae Kwon Do instructor and his Mrs always carried them when flying, or visiting unknown places - mind he was a 6th, or 7th Dan and his Mrs was a 4th Dan anyway.

One carry item that is known about by the cognoscenti who receive speshul training over here is to carry a pen. Not a Bic, or one of those mega-huge-obviously-tactical pieces of shite sold to mongs and wannabees. The pen in question is the simple, subtle, Zebra F-701 sold in Staples (other office stores are available) for the princely sum of around $7.00.

iu

That reminds me of the "Dog Shield" we were supposed to use.

It was a bit

iu

Much preferred the fire extinguisher method (and no, never killed the dog either).

I once CO2'ed a pissed up punchy pikey with his own caravan extinguisher................it went off accidentally sarge, when I banged into it. Him and his mate had been buying thousands of pounds worth of hay from farmers with rubber cheques.

Magazine, or a newspaper can do some serious damage if used well. In many places you can also carry a bonafide walking stick with no questions allowed to be asked. My lads Tae Kwon Do instructor and his Mrs always carried them when flying, or visiting unknown places - mind he was a 6th, or 7th Dan and his Mrs was a 4th Dan anyway.

One carry item that is known about by the cognoscenti who receive speshul training over here is to carry a pen. Not a Bic, or one of those mega-huge-obviously-tactical pieces of shite sold to mongs and wannabees. The pen in question is the simple, subtle, Zebra F-701 sold in Staples (other office stores are available) for the princely sum of around $7.00.

iu

Would Sir be trying to get around the need to carry a Kubaton?

I think Sir might be

;)

Would Sir be trying to get around the need to carry a Kubaton?

I think Sir might be

;)

I had one as my keyring for years. The admin Sgt in Provost Branch, JHQ, pinged it one time and tutted at me. He then whipped out his, HQ Admin Sgts, strange lot.

Allegedly one Provost Marshal had authorised a purchase of 400 of them Just prior to his departure. They then arrived when the new Provost Marshal was in post. His opinion was that they were an offensive weapon that his troops may be tempted to carry off duty. So there they were, in a box, in their stationery cupboard…….all 400. ..399…..398………a whole load of them.

I had one as my keyring for years. The admin Sgt in Provost Branch, JHQ, pinged it one time and tutted at me. He then whipped out his, HQ Admin Sgts, strange lot.

Allegedly one Provost Marshal had authorised a purchase of 400 of them Just prior to his departure. They then arrived when the new Provost Marshal was in post. His opinion was that they were an offensive weapon that his troops may be tempted to carry off duty. So there they were, in a box, in their stationery cupboard…….all 400. ..399…..398………a whole load of them.
They started issuing limited numbers in the Met early 80s, didn't last long, not sure why it was canned.

No 8 from the book "100 Deadly Skills: The SEALS Operatives Guide to Eluding Persuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation"

tYzNKvR.png

They started issuing limited numbers in the Met early 80s, didn't last long, not sure why it was canned.

As with many things, takes skill to be able to use one. Roll out of mass training in the police is appalling. One reason why the pr-24 (side handle baton, or "tonfa") never caught on. Skills fade, and you give Captain Caveman a club captain caveman's going to use it like a club.

Anyway, carry a mini-maglite. Does the same thing an is not a made offensive weapon. I nearly broke a mates wrist when drunk and showing what you can do with one. I felt terribly guilty for a long time and remembered not to engage in "horseplay" (or strong foreplay) after that.

As with many things, takes skill to be able to use one. Roll out of mass training in the police is appalling. One reason why the pr-24 (side handle baton, or "tonfa") never caught on. Skills fade, and you give Captain Caveman a club captain caveman's going to use it like a club.

Anyway, carry a mini-maglite. Does the same thing an is not a made offensive weapon. I nearly broke a mates wrist when drunk and showing what you can do with one. I felt terribly guilty for a long time and remembered not to engage in "horseplay" (or strong foreplay) after that.
Absolutely, after Brixton 82 the Public Order Training Centre tried out various long batons & staves, the conclusion was that baton rounds were a safer option, they would travel in a straight line until they either hit something or ran out of energy. An angry copper with a big stick on the other hand, would go round corners, up stairs, through doors, hitting anyone that took his fancy and keep getting new surges of energy when attacked, just like a very angry duracell bunny.

ACAB

LE
Football fans of a certain age may remember the old Chelsea Club or Millwall Brick.

Get a broadsheet newspaper, roll it up and bend it in half.

The bit at the bend becomes rock solid. I mean properly rock hard and can be used as an impromptu cosh.

Always worth grabbing a copy of the Times or Telegraph when you get on a plane. You never know.
I did that on my last visit from Croatia.

Absolutely, after Brixton 82 the Public Order Training Centre tried out various long batons & staves, the conclusion was that baton rounds were a safer option, they would travel in a straight line until they either hit something or ran out of energy. An angry copper with a big stick on the other hand, would go round corners, up stairs, through doors, hitting anyone that took his fancy and keep getting new surges of energy when attacked, just like a very angry duracell bunny.

They let us choose if we wanted a tonfa/side-handle baton, or a monadnock extendable forget me stick. The inexperienced ones all opted for the side handled baton thinking it was some kind of automatic, self twirling, baddy grounder - great in the gym when training, more complicated when in a stressed situation. Monadnock is a much nicer forget me stick, you can discretely have it in your hand, tucked up behind your wrist, ready to go at a moments notice. And, as you say, like the Duracell bunny, you just keep going.

I still have my dpm CBA in the garage if I piss off some local gangsters, I think small arms in the criminal underworld is largely .22/9mm? Although I don't really see the CBA stopping even that... I once asked my PSI if he really thought it would stop small arms when I was a young sprog and he broke down laughing at his desk
Flexible body armours (CBA/Osprey/Virtus fillers) were never designed to stop bullets. They are designed to stop the thing that kills most soldiers in the modern age - shrapnel. Only the hard plates that you can put inside ECBA/Osprey/Virtus stop bullets.

'Strong foreplay' ... with a maglite???

Very "niche".

This requires further explanation :)

iu

In the UK, you can buy pen and pencil sets for £5 to £10 in charity shops. A small notepad is also useful for taking notes, if your phone runs out of battery.

'Strong foreplay' ... with a maglite???

Very "niche".

This requires further explanation :)

I don't use the maglite/kubaton for courting!

I may have met some ladies who found my fondess for reading poetry mixed with fighty stuff rather oddly charming. If people don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They let us choose if we wanted a tonfa/side-handle baton, or a monadnock extendable forget me stick. The inexperienced ones all opted for the side handled baton thinking it was some kind of automatic, self twirling, baddy grounder - great in the gym when training, more complicated when in a stressed situation. Monadnock is a much nicer forget me stick, you can discretely have it in your hand, tucked up behind your wrist, ready to go at a moments notice. And, as you say, like the Duracell bunny, you just keep going.
A mate of mine found his Asp wouldn't collapse any longer after a particularly enthusiastic crowd suppression session, I believe it's still in a glass case behind a bar in dark Africa.