Poole council now using RIPA against fishermen

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE
    "On four occasions the powers were used to see if fishermen were gathering shellfish from a prohibited area in Poole harbour."
    ... so apparently no offence had been committed or reported, the council were using RIPA on spec ...

... with councils taking over these responsibilities, is it a wonder that the plod appear not to bother?
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

If RIPA can be used in this manner, it must have more holes in it than the Beatles "Albert Hall". It is also more than worrying that it can be used as, what seems to be a catch all, to investigate anything, whether there is serious criminal activity or not.

I'd agree with the suggestion in the text that is judical sign off, for the powers to be enacted, particularly at a council level.
  3. So while the councils are doing this what are the polis doing? Paperwork , I assume? This state of affairs really is ludicrous. For once I agree with Ms Chickenbalti.

Dont the councils have fishing authorities to do this kind of stuff, its what theyre there for after all, or are they just out looking for some handy "fine revenue"? Isnt it the polis' job to investigae vandalism?