Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poo Pipes, what are my options?

Thats a cast iron oil pipe outside, best replace the bloody lot, also fit an access eye so if you get a blockage you can unscrew it and rod it through ( or get covered with shit)
plus, if you need to add other plumbing outlets, it will be easier to cut into

sound. Yeah all the down pipes and guttering on most of the house is cast iron and the down pipes in particular will need to get replaced at some point but right now aren’t a priority.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
sound. Yeah all the down pipes and guttering on most of the house is cast iron and the down pipes in particular will need to get replaced at some point but right now aren’t a priority.
save them up, store them out of sight of pikeys, then weigh them in
however cast iron guttering, if removed carefully ( grind out the bolts) can be sold on ebay and the like
lots of people will buy old gutters, get them shot blased and coated
if the old gutters and down pipes are sound and free of cracks, wire brush them red lead them and paint them, if the joints have failed, clean and repack with fresh putty and use gutter bolts and a washer
if end caps are missing, cut a section of decent hardwood and use a screw and washer, along with putty to fix it
they will outlast plastic ones
and if you live in the highlands the windw ont pull them loose
if you ever have a cracked downpipe in cast iron, clean it with a wire brush, sandpaper smooth and repair with a Glass Fibre repair kit, then over paint
done a few like that for older folk over the years

Tyk

LE

If you do a proper job on replacing the through wall pipe to the junction then replacing the whole down pipe at a later date will be simplified.
That lead running through the wall would be easier to swap out than to bodge, by a big margin. Bite the bullet now rather than store up grief for later would be my approach. It's not a big "job".

Lead you can away with if it is for waste, but if it is damaged you need to consider a good repair - especially as it is waste from the bog, you don't need that going wrong at 19.00hrs on a sunday. Do the job properly and swap it for plastic, it will be much safer and less pfaffing around in the long term - send the Mrs to visit her sister for a couple of days.

If anyone has any lead water mains pipes coming into the house the water people will ordinarily change those free of charge - don't assume they will, still check with them. Some used to argue that anything after the meter was yours, and some just used to change any lead up to the stop tap in the house. There were some really old places out in Leamington Spa & Warwick that still had lead indoors and we swapped that out for copper from the stop tap indoors.

My fellow piped water engineers, and myself used to buy most of our kit from BES. Not next day delivery, but pretty close, so you need to have a comprehensive shopping list before ordering. When setting up an account just tell them you are a plumbist and that you want a catalogue sending.

Cheers I’ll have a look. The bathrooms and kitchen are all relatively new with renewed pipe work but in the extension at the back of the house (where this toilet is) It’s more dated. We rewired and had central heating put in during the summer but still lots to do.

I’d actually just replaced a leaking toilet upstairs when we noticed this was duff as well.

964ST

War Hero
The lead pipe looks like it has been deformed by the force applied in the last bodge (pushing the pipe into the Wall Causing the walls to fold).

Apart from the costs, One of my biggest worries would be, that a particularly stubborn poop might hit that wave formation and defy the laws of science and be shot backwards shooting out and hitting you in the face like a parasite in Alien As you do the inquisitive look into the bowl to see if it really is gone!

save them up, store them out of sight of pikeys, then weigh them in
however cast iron guttering, if removed carefully ( grind out the bolts) can be sold on ebay and the like
lots of people will buy old gutters, get them shot blased and coated
if the old gutters and down pipes are sound and free of cracks, wire brush them red lead them and paint them, if the joints have failed, clean and repack with fresh putty and use gutter bolts and a washer
if end caps are missing, cut a section of decent hardwood and use a screw and washer, along with putty to fix it
they will outlast plastic ones
and if you live in the highlands the windw ont pull them loose
if you ever have a cracked downpipe in cast iron, clean it with a wire brush, sandpaper smooth and repair with a Glass Fibre repair kit, then over paint
done a few like that for older folk over the years
The roof was redone a few years ago and the cast iron guttering looks in good nick so I wonder if it was redone then. Good tip on the cast iron down pipes, there’s at least one crack that needs fixed.

At the moment I’m mainly decorating just prepping rooms for decorating.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Explosives are the answer.

this isn’t the answer I was hoping for guys, even if it was the one I was expecting....

it’s just a spare toilet and downstairs so not too much of a drama. Had been hoping there was an easier fix as there’s about 2000 other jobs waiting to be done prior to this. Ho hum.
I thought only dingerr was allowed to post pics of his poo pipes.

Why worry about how to do it? A plumber will sort it correctly in a fraction of the time and provide a guarantee. That'll work out cheaper than doing it yourself (several times).

I thought only dingerr was allowed to post pics of his poo pipes.

Why worry about how to do it? A plumber will sort it correctly in a fraction of the time and provide a guarantee. That'll work out cheaper than doing it yourself (several times).

that’s what I’ll be doing. If a quick fix would’ve sufficed I’d have done it myself but to be honest it’s time that’s more of an issue than anything else so I’ll get someone in.

If the OP really must use a smaller outlet pipe, then consider a macerator. They look like this, and discharge into a 22/32mm pipe.

images.jpeg

They will pump a certain height vertically depending on model.
If all else fails get a proper man in. He'll have it done in a few hours.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
that’s what I’ll be doing. If a quick fix would’ve sufficed I’d have done it myself but to be honest it’s time that’s more of an issue than anything else so I’ll get someone in.
make sure that you block that inlet off with something solide, pack it with sacking and fix a wooden plate across the frotn with screws
otherwise you will get methane coming in, an awful smell, and rats

make sure that you block that inlet off with something solide, pack it with sacking and fix a wooden plate across the frotn with screws
otherwise you will get methane coming in, an awful smell, and rats
I’d stuffed it with some plastic bags etc to keep the smell out but will screw something over it.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Just thinking, we're General Builders and it's an easy morning job for us, and a builder is cheaper than a plumber, bear that in mind if you know a builder.

Just thinking, we're General Builders and it's an easy morning job for us, and a builder is cheaper than a plumber, bear that in mind if you know a builder.
Plumber= Everything bar installing boilers
heating engineer - has the quals to fit boilers
general builders- a bit like tinkers masters of everything and anything...

Sometimes it comes down to experience, @Joshua Slocum has been known to do some quality work. when he’s not snapping away with his minox

Latest Threads