Pongo seeks information on Andrewspeak

I've been doing some family research online for a good neighbour of mine. His father was killed when HMS Fiji was sunk in 1941 and the son was just four. His mother simply abandoned him and his siblings to be brought up by aunts and uncles. So he knew little or nothing about his father's career but 'acting on information received' (from me) he now has his Dad's service record. I have managed to identify all the postings but can you salty seadogs answer a couple of points? He joined in 1927 in Pompey (stoker category) and was posted to his first ship 'from F.B.' - any idea what that means? He spent most of his service pre-war as a Mechanician 1 in shore establishments, interposed with postings to Victory, which I gather was an administrative catchall for non-attached personnel. A number of shore establishments seem to be named Victory followed by a numeral. He has a Victory 2-6, several Victory 2 and one Victory XI/ Any ideas? Originally listed as 'missing presumed killed' he was initially buried in Gavdos Island south of Crete and a long way from where Fiji was sunk - near Antykytheros I think. Maybe he was picked up when the destroyers came back after dark but died later. He was reburied in the CWGC cemetery at Suda Bay

By the way Naval Writers' hand is as bad as a Squadron clerk's and that's saying something

scouse_scribes

Old-Salt
I will take no exception at your throwaway comment about our handwriting but please remember that were, up until them doing away with the old SC, writing on a tea towel with an ink pen.

I have done a bit of digging and it would appear that the mention of victory followed by a numeral was a division at Victory barracks (now HMS NELSON) and was used as a holding centre (as a rating had to be attached to a ship)

Victory I = Portsmouth
Victory II = Crystal Palace
Victory III = Portsmouth
Victory IV = London/Portsmouth/Petersfield/Crystal Palace
Victory VI = Crystal Palace
Victory VII = Portland
Victory IX = Portsmouth
Victory X = Portsmouth
Victory XI = Portland

so it looks like he was based in and out of Victory for a while, definitely a Pompey rating. Not sure about the FB. The link below has a lot of information pertaining to the above including a mention of a training establishment at Fanshaw (Fanshaw Barracks perhaps) anyway have a shufty at this link and see what you can glean from it

RN Shore Training Establishment: HMS Victory - World Naval Ships Forums

Hope this help, wish I could say it was all my own work

Regards

Scouse

I'm sorry but I can only offer a guess. You are correct that Victory was a catch-all draft for administration purposes. It is the Royal Navy ship that has officially had the highest number of Ship's company. I can only guess that Roman numeral suffix denotes which particular outpost or depot he was based at whilst classed as Victory ships company. As to where to find these designations - I do not know.

As for FP - I have no idea. Certainly not an abbreviation I was familiar with, nor does it correspond with any naval shore establishments of that era. Google throws up a possible "field punishment"??

In Devonport naval base South Yard there is a semi-official Royal Naval museum. I say semi-official because the MOD refuse to fund it. It's scandalous because there is so much material there uncatalogued. Whilst medically downgraded I was in charge of the "buffers party" there. I had access to everything and spent days browsing through Warships Daily Occurrence books Pre-WW2 and after. There are hundreds and hundreds of them stored there. It felt both comforting and eerie reading the incident logs from ships my Grandad was serving on at the time - although I never saw him mentioned. There are mountains of artifacts there - brand new telephones from 1940's etc..allsorts, documentation from many many ships of the early 20th century and prior.
The museum is run by a few volunteers and tours are by request only. Like I said - the MOD refuse to fund it and the stuff can't be binned because it does not officially exist on any modern stores records to be binned! - At least that's what I was told.

Ahh..Looks like Scouse has solved the mystery!

Gentlmen your pity and understanding for the junior service has once again been demonstrated. Thanks. Anyway we can still join in deriding the crabs.

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Beaten to it but have you tried contacting the Naval Historical Branch at Portsmouth?

"Naval Historical Branch, No. 24 Store, PP20, Main Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth PO1 3LU. Tel: +44 (0)2392 725 187 Fax: 02392 724003

This library holds the operational history of the Royal Navy, as well as a major archive and the Admiralty Library. Subsidiary collections for the latter are held at the Royal Naval Museum and the Institute of Naval Medicine

Read more at http://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/resea...al-navy-sources-enquiries#RygKZvLwfUuWbuEH.99

I'm sorry but I can only offer a guess. You are correct that Victory was a catch-all draft for administration purposes. It is the Royal Navy ship that has officially had the highest number of Ship's company. I can only guess that Roman numeral suffix denotes which particular outpost or depot he was based at whilst classed as Victory ships company. As to where to find these designations - I do not know.

As for FP - I have no idea. Certainly not an abbreviation I was familiar with, nor does it correspond with any naval shore establishments of that era. Google throws up a possible "field punishment"??

In Devonport naval base South Yard there is a semi-official Royal Naval museum. I say semi-official because the MOD refuse to fund it. It's scandalous because there is so much material there uncatalogued. Whilst medically downgraded I was in charge of the "buffers party" there. I had access to everything and spent days browsing through Warships Daily Occurrence books Pre-WW2 and after. There are hundreds and hundreds of them stored there. It felt both comforting and eerie reading the incident logs from ships my Grandad was serving on at the time - although I never saw him mentioned. There are mountains of artifacts there - brand new telephones from 1940's etc..allsorts, documentation from many many ships of the early 20th century and prior.
The museum is run by a few volunteers and tours are by request only. Like I said - the MOD refuse to fund it and the stuff can't be binned because it does not officially exist on any modern stores records to be binned! - At least that's what I was told.

Ahh..Looks like Scouse has solved the mystery!
His conduct throughout is VG or Super. so a good little lad

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
!
I spent an hour reading HMS Invincible's Daily Occurrance book at some time in the late 90s when I was supposed to be writing it up. 1982 was quite intersting in a monotonous "At Flying Stations. Fell out from fly stations, RAS" kind of way. Then I went ashore to a local Bajan beach bar

Beaten to it but have you tried contacting the Naval Historical Branch at Portsmouth?

"Naval Historical Branch, No. 24 Store, PP20, Main Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth PO1 3LU. Tel: +44 (0)2392 725 187 Fax: 02392 724003

This library holds the operational history of the Royal Navy, as well as a major archive and the Admiralty Library. Subsidiary collections for the latter are held at the Royal Naval Museum and the Institute of Naval Medicine

Read more at Research guide B3: The Royal Navy: Sources for enquiries
Many thanks

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been doing some family research online for a good neighbour of mine. His father was killed when HMS Fiji was sunk in 1941 and the son was just four. His mother simply abandoned him and his siblings to be brought up by aunts and uncles. So he knew little or nothing about his father's career but 'acting on information received' (from me) he now has his Dad's service record. I have managed to identify all the postings but can you salty seadogs answer a couple of points? He joined in 1927 in Pompey (stoker category) and was posted to his first ship 'from F.B.' - any idea what that means? He spent most of his service pre-war as a Mechanician 1 in shore establishments, interposed with postings to Victory, which I gather was an administrative catchall for non-attached personnel. A number of shore establishments seem to be named Victory followed by a numeral. He has a Victory 2-6, several Victory 2 and one Victory XI/ Any ideas? Originally listed as 'missing presumed killed' he was initially buried in Gavdos Island south of Crete and a long way from where Fiji was sunk - near Antykytheros I think. Maybe he was picked up when the destroyers came back after dark but died later. He was reburied in the CWGC cemetery at Suda Bay

By the way Naval Writers' hand is as bad as a Squadron clerk's and that's saying something
At a guess I would suggest that FB = Forton Barracks, Gosport, HMS St Vincent. It was a training establishment for junior ratings.

Read more at Research guide B3: The Royal Navy: Sources for enquiries
I'll pass it on. thanks

scouse_scribes

Old-Salt
At a guess I would suggest that FB = Forton Barracks, Gosport, HMS St Vincent. It was a training establishment for junior ratings.
Good call, my old man did his basic at St Vincent, wish I still had his service records but my old dear threw them away when he passed over the bar(much to my complete and utter disbelief) and I could have checked it out.

Just doing some more reading around Filthy's first post and it could be that your mates dad might have been a small boats/launch rating as well. Smaller ships and launches were often accounted for by a parent ship so the personnel could be managed. Not sure if it is still the case but HMS Centurion used to be the accounting base for lots of outlying stations like SHAPE for instance. MIght be that he was the mech on small boats and accounted for out of Victory Barracks.

The definitive place for you answer is the naval historic people however.

By the way, all for uniting against the crabs. RAF no traditions, only bad habits

I will take no exception at your throwaway comment about our handwriting but please remember that were, up until them doing away with the old SC, writing on a tea towel with an ink pen.

I have done a bit of digging and it would appear that the mention of victory followed by a numeral was a division at Victory barracks (now HMS NELSON) and was used as a holding centre (as a rating had to be attached to a ship)

Victory I = Portsmouth
Victory II = Crystal Palace
Victory III = Portsmouth
Victory IV = London/Portsmouth/Petersfield/Crystal Palace
Victory VI = Crystal Palace
Victory VII = Portland
Victory IX = Portsmouth
Victory X = Portsmouth
Victory XI = Portland

so it looks like he was based in and out of Victory for a while, definitely a Pompey rating. Not sure about the FB. The link below has a lot of information pertaining to the above including a mention of a training establishment at Fanshaw (Fanshaw Barracks perhaps) anyway have a shufty at this link and see what you can glean from it

RN Shore Training Establishment: HMS Victory - World Naval Ships Forums

Hope this help, wish I could say it was all my own work

Regards

Scouse
Makes sense. he was certainly at Pompey and Portland - but Crystal Palace ! My uncle who served on minesweepers in WWI was there for a bit before demob after 1919. so it may have been an overflow clerical centre. Own up, who set it on fire?

Latest Threads