Pond Jump West

#1
I've heard that HM Forces are no longer doing the Pond Jump West exercises in Wainwright Canada. Ironically, I'd spent some time in Wainwright when the battlegroups would come over to do their live-fire stuff (I spent 6 years in the Canadian Army prior to emigrating to the States and joining the US Marine Corps).

Anybody remember JD's Saloon downtown? What a sh*thole...

How about Bridget the Midget?

What are the light infantry battalions now doing for their main course of live-fire training? Going to BATUS in Suffield?
 
#2
I had forgotten all about JD's but now remember a good few nights spent their. I was over in 91/92 for a six week exercise, and have good memories of the R&R package in the Regency Hotel (Strip club in basment!) :)
 
#3
Tango, you must be talking about the Regency in Edmonton? Lots of decent bars along Whyte Ave, but nightlife in Wainwright was pretty lacking.

Remember how JD's only used to serve beer in plastic mugs as they didn't want the liability of squaddies using glass mugs to beat the shyte out of each other with?

If memory serves me correctly, in the fall of '96 or '95 the KOSB were just wrapping up their training and 2 Para arrived, so the 2 units were in camp concurrently and their respective CO's made the mistake to let the boys out in town on the same night. Was quite the brawl in JDs.
 
#4
LAND are looking at better use of the facilities in BATUS, following DInf's visit there in June this year. This will hopefully involve a less prescriptive series of exercises for the Infantry, and take focus away from just the armour.
 
#5
Makes sense, given the size of the training area at Suffield.

Is there much there in terms of live-fire ranges for dismounted/light infantry training though?

I just remember Suffield as being this wind-swept immense prairie that it wasn't uncommon for it to be 33 degrees during the day in August and then a cold front would blow in that night and you'd wake up the next morning with 2 inches of snow on the ground and the temp would be around 2-3 degrees. Talk about unpredictable weather!
 
#8
0311Matt said:
Too bad there is no Buffalo Paddock at BATUS to end a drunken evening racing through before 'Big Bill' wakes up and says hello.
Would Big Earl have had a name change then?

A real exchange of culture and fists in the Octoberfist!!
 
#9
Harry_Webster said:
Would Big Earl have had a name change then?
quote]

Probably the same big bastard, just different name.

You think you can cross the paddock in 23 seconds? You'd better, because Big Bill/Earl can do it in 24...
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#11
0311Matt said:
If memory serves me correctly, in the fall of '96 or '95 the KOSB were just wrapping up their training and 2 Para arrived, so the 2 units were in camp concurrently and their respective CO's made the mistake to let the boys out in town on the same night. Was quite the brawl in JDs.
Nobody ever wins in these bun fights - but I bet KOSB won! :twisted:
 
#12
I don't know who came out with less bloody noses, but I'll tell you, the next day, both battalions were formed up and the owner of the bar that the brawl took place was going through the ranks with each unit's RSM pointing out who was to have their pay docked to cover damages done to the premises.
 
#13
0311Matt said:
I've heard that HM Forces are no longer doing the Pond Jump West exercises in Wainwright Canada. Ironically, I'd spent some time in Wainwright when the battlegroups would come over to do their live-fire stuff (I spent 6 years in the Canadian Army prior to emigrating to the States and joining the US Marine Corps).

Anybody remember JD's Saloon downtown? What a sh*thole...

How about Bridget the Midget?

What are the light infantry battalions now doing for their main course of live-fire training? Going to BATUS in Suffield?
Blimey, the CIA's UK desk human intel budget must be taking a severe pounding??
 
#14
Wainwright was a dump, locals would leave "reserved" signs on the slot machines while they went for a urine....


Calgary was good to go to for a few days, Cowboys, fantastic waitresses
 
#15
Tim Collins was correct in his book then by saying the Government is cutting costs all the time and it will be training that suffers the most... Train Hard Fight Easy?! it'll be more like Train '0' Fight Hard!

Wainwright was an awesome package! then you had a week away in Jasper in the Canadian Rockies for Adventure Training, Brilliant! I seem to remember a real out in the sticks place called LloydMinster with a real shit kicking saloon bar?! only downside to Wainwright was if you ended up in nick as they had the good old Mounties in charge of the Guardroom!!! Gulp!
 
#16
0311Matt said:
Tango, you must be talking about the Regency in Edmonton? Lots of decent bars along Whyte Ave, but nightlife in Wainwright was pretty lacking.

Remember how JD's only used to serve beer in plastic mugs as they didn't want the liability of squaddies using glass mugs to beat the shyte out of each other with?

If memory serves me correctly, in the fall of '96 or '95 the KOSB were just wrapping up their training and 2 Para arrived, so the 2 units were in camp concurrently and their respective CO's made the mistake to let the boys out in town on the same night. Was quite the brawl in JDs.
Couldn't possibly have outdone C Coy 1 R IRISH Vs Sphinx Bty RA; started in JDs, ended (eventually) in the town square, only after the RCMP had expended their supplies of CS and pepper spray. CAP was set up in Tony's Bar across the road from where I watched the drama unfold, with the Bugles Pipes and drums stood on the bar playing the sash (it was 11th night after all). Happy days, happy days!!
 
#17
I remember that the walk of shame was in fact a fairly long tab......ahem

I liked the training area though, it has trees which of course Batus doesn't. Lone tree just doesn't do it for me in the forestry stakes.

Does anyone else remember the Police briefing that you got as soon as you arrived from a strident chap in a cropped sleeve shirt, big arms and a belt full of toys telling you to keep your shirt on and not fight the Natives?
 
#18
mraverage said:
Couldn't possibly have outdone C Coy 1 R IRISH Vs Sphinx Bty RA; started in JDs, ended (eventually) in the town square, only after the RCMP had expended their supplies of CS and pepper spray. CAP was set up in Tony's Bar across the road from where I watched the drama unfold, with the Bugles Pipes and drums stood on the bar playing the sash (it was 11th night after all). Happy days, happy days!!
When did this one take place?

Did the big plate glass windows in JDs all get smashed and the RCMP, Cdn. and British MPs and RPs ended up hauling guys into the back of Bedfords, just to get them out of the town?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wotan Multinational HQ 8
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
Bravo_Bravo Infantry 7

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top