PoM and Combat Engineering

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Wotnot, Nov 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've just passed ADSC this week and my first job choice is PoM. Although this is the trade I want to do and realise it's quite trade focused so I'll be doing a lot of it. I just wanted to know if I will still get chance to do some combat engineering on operation etc and if so how often?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Yes, I have a support troop that recently was working on Route TRIDENT (a plant heavy road build) on operations. My POMs (including a two section commanders) were involved in all forms of engineer tasks including combat ops and plenty of scraps.
  3. PoM is a very wide church.I can thing of some who won the DCM and MM in recent years.They are often on Ops.One recently came out on top of the US ranger course.
  4. I was a planty and I did a reasonable amount of combat engineering. I was fortunate enough to get on a B1 knocker course before all the rules changed and quite enjoyed it. Myself and a driver were the only B1 knockers on a bridge dem so we ended up taking charge which was quite scary. I've also managed to get a few months in Canada doing BATSIMs because I am a B1.
  5. I was on route trident with Parky_boy and although we were all super busy doing everything under the cap badge, he just sat in the Husky playing solitare!! When your out and about mate you get upto everything and anything! Even the knockers were operating the plant!
    Ps still got that clip of me and you parky on tv!! Haha I'm so handsome.
  6. Just backs up my decision that I've chose the right corps. Variety is the spice of life etc etc. Thanks for your replies guys, just gotta wait things out now, pom's recruiting went on pause just before I went for selection, but worth the wait in my opinion ;)

Just as a side question, I know planty's tend to get put in either a field squadron into a field support troop or in an actual field support squadron. Is there much difference in the roles they undertake in the different squadrons?

Thanks again guys.
  7. A good POM is worth his (sometimes considerable) weight in gold sovs.
  8. What this one:
    Building bridges in Afghanistan | British Forces News
  9. More often straight to field Sqn then into support troop. I think this is best as you get to do all sorts then, because no one likes to get bored!