Poll Are the new compo packs bloody 'orrible or not?

Are the new compo packs edible?

• Yep, they are pretty good, all things considered

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Yep, they are ok, but need improving

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • No they are poor

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No, they are horrible and I live off banjos

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Gentlmen

Have read the recent threads on the new compo packs and the menu sounds bloody awful to me.

However, being a silly old bugger, I won't have to eat them.

Therefore, I suggest a poll, to get the opinions of the lads who are still serving.

Can we please keep the poll to the currently serving/recently discharged who have actually lived off the stuff?

You missed an option. "I have never and will never, have to eat them, so my opinion counts for fuck all" (That's the box I would tick), it would be an overwhelming winner.

I bloody love them, have a shed load, what our son dumped in the bin
Got any spare? Would like to see how they compare with my memories of the old

I preferred the 'old' ones we had when I joined up (late 90s) - cheese possessed, that no brand chocolate etc. They were clearly virtually no use whatsoever for desert/hot climate warfare though.

Should we ever go to war in a temperate climate again I assume our rat packs will evolve back into the stodgier food most of us remember.

The new ones are good for afghan but not so much for colder climes. I actually like alot of the new main meals and the nuts are a good idea. I do miss the chocolate but at the end of the day, after you have been on patrol for hours, when you are tired, hungry and fucked off with everything, you are happy to get any scoff you can down your throat. People complaining about the new packs obviously have life a little too easy.

Wonder what rat packs we will be issued for Iran ?

I am curiosity to know how many people who are complaining about them have actually eaten then whilst being on tour.

Be interesting to try them. Anyone down in SA with a couple drop me a line. Swop them for beer or a load of French ones. Got to say the Frog stuff is a five star dinner compared to the crap the SADF issued.

The new main meals are really good, the only thing I dont like in the new ones is the rabbit food breakfasts. Muesli just aint right.

Thankfully I wont be having them again. :)

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Be interesting to try them. Anyone down in SA with a couple drop me a line. Swop them for beer or a load of French ones. Got to say the Frog stuff is a five star dinner compared to the crap the SADF issued.
Wonder what this lot would say about Tarzan Bars, pronutro or sadza and pilchards in tomato sauce as a bit of something different for 14 months if you could find a decent cuka shop.

I think they're brilliant personally, but the '3 bean salad' is a bit sus. And again, having nuts constantly for days on end can get a bit samey, it'd be nice to see some variation on that theme and chocolate reintroduced into them.

I preferred the 'old' ones we had when I joined up (late 90s) - cheese possessed, that no brand chocolate etc. They were clearly virtually no use whatsoever for desert/hot climate warfare though.

Should we ever go to war in a temperate climate again I assume our rat packs will evolve back into the stodgier food most of us remember.
The first ones I remember came with the contents in three brown paper bags marked Breakfast, Main Meal and Snack. I don't think the actual food was much different from the later tinned ones, apart from the tubes of condensed milk which were a sad loss (though not as much as the Garibaldi biscuits were later, what bastard removed them).

Wonder what this lot would say about Tarzan Bars, pronutro or sadza and pilchards in tomato sauce as a bit of something different for 14 months if you could find a decent cuka shop.

Being the perverted goat fondler I am, I developed a taste for the issued dog biscuits. Used to swop them for my mixed veg and reckon I got the better end of that deal. That glow in the dark orange drink mixed with ProNutro was an acquired taste as well.

G

goatrutar

I shudder to think what's in a SA rat pack.
Indian one sounds nice. Mmmm curries.

Owambo piele and tarzan bars for a start. (Tinned sausages and energy bars.) The biscuits were pretty good but they're no longer included I believe. Got some Baker's crap now. Glucose and vit C sweets, condensed milk, the usual coffee/tea/soft drink, pro nutro porridge, two tins from an assortment of mixed veg, sausages, bully beef. Got pretty dire so a cuca shop was a welcome break to grab some pilchards and warm fanta. Got a can opener in each pack back then. No more though, and you can't find one for love or money. Saw some in a camping shop in Canada so grabbed a handful which are now distributed throughout my traveling kit.

Got pissed with Cutaway and a load of old buggers at some spot where we dug out one of the Frog rat packs and tried it. General consensus was that a SA troep could live for four days on a French 24 hour pack.

Now a curry rat pack would do the business. Be easy to find the guys though - Just follow the rumbling farts, wilting vegetation and trail of runny poo splattered half way up trees. The empty Kingfisher bottles would be a dead giveaway too.

G

goatrutar

Are the frog ones pretty gucci?
I see your point re the Indian packs. Still be nice though. Liquid shit would be a small price to pay for a decent curry. :)