Poll Are the new compo packs bloody 'orrible or not?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Yep, they are pretty good, all things considered

20 vote(s)
  2. Yep, they are ok, but need improving

9 vote(s)
  3. No they are poor

3 vote(s)
  4. No, they are horrible and I live off banjos

2 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlmen

Have read the recent threads on the new compo packs and the menu sounds bloody awful to me.

However, being a silly old bugger, I won't have to eat them.

Therefore, I suggest a poll, to get the opinions of the lads who are still serving.

Can we please keep the poll to the currently serving/recently discharged who have actually lived off the stuff?
  2. Can't move for polls here. Anyway, the new rat packs are great for hot climates. Once we pull out of Afghan though they need to put chocolate back in.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I bloody love them, have a shed load, what our son dumped in the bin
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You missed an option. "I have never and will never, have to eat them, so my opinion counts for fuck all" (That's the box I would tick), it would be an overwhelming winner.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Got any spare? Would like to see how they compare with my memories of the old
  6. I preferred the 'old' ones we had when I joined up (late 90s) - cheese possessed, that no brand chocolate etc. They were clearly virtually no use whatsoever for desert/hot climate warfare though.

Should we ever go to war in a temperate climate again I assume our rat packs will evolve back into the stodgier food most of us remember.
  7. The new ones are good for afghan but not so much for colder climes. I actually like alot of the new main meals and the nuts are a good idea. I do miss the chocolate but at the end of the day, after you have been on patrol for hours, when you are tired, hungry and fucked off with everything, you are happy to get any scoff you can down your throat. People complaining about the new packs obviously have life a little too easy.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Wonder what rat packs we will be issued for Iran ?
  9. Fresh Pig barbequed
  10. I am curiosity to know how many people who are complaining about them have actually eaten then whilst being on tour.
  11. Be interesting to try them. Anyone down in SA with a couple drop me a line. Swop them for beer or a load of French ones. Got to say the Frog stuff is a five star dinner compared to the crap the SADF issued.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The new main meals are really good, the only thing I dont like in the new ones is the rabbit food breakfasts. Muesli just aint right.

Thankfully I wont be having them again. :)
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Wonder what this lot would say about Tarzan Bars, pronutro or sadza and pilchards in tomato sauce as a bit of something different for 14 months if you could find a decent cuka shop.
  14. I think they're brilliant personally, but the '3 bean salad' is a bit sus. And again, having nuts constantly for days on end can get a bit samey, it'd be nice to see some variation on that theme and chocolate reintroduced into them.
  15. The first ones I remember came with the contents in three brown paper bags marked Breakfast, Main Meal and Snack. I don't think the actual food was much different from the later tinned ones, apart from the tubes of condensed milk which were a sad loss (though not as much as the Garibaldi biscuits were later, what bastard removed them).