POLL: AMERICANS WANT TO WIN IN IRAQ

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm

POLL: AMERICANS 'WANT TO WIN IN IRAQ'

Tue Feb 20 2007 16:21:32 ET

In the wake of the U.S. House of Representatives passing a resolution that amounts to a vote of no confidence in the Bush administration's policies in Iraq, a new national survey by Alexandria, VA-based Public Opinion Strategies (POS) shows the American people may have some different ideas from their elected leaders on this issue.

The survey was conducted nationwide February 5-7 among a bi-partisan, cross-section of 800 registered voters. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent. The survey was commissioned by The Moriah Group, a Chattanooga-based strategic communications and public affairs firm.

The survey shows Americans want to win in Iraq, and that they understand Iraq is the central point in the war against terrorism and they can support a U.S. strategy aimed at achieving victory, said Neil Newhouse, a partner in POS. The idea of pulling back from Iraq is not where the majority of Americans are.

By a 53 percent - 46 percent margin, respondents surveyed said that Democrats are going too far, too fast in pressing the President to withdraw troops from Iraq.

By identical 57 percent - 41 percent margins, voters agreed with these statements: I support finishing the job in Iraq, that is, keeping the troops there until the Iraqi government can maintain control and provide security and the Iraqi war is a key part of the global war on terrorism.

Also, by a 56 percent - 43 percent margin, voters agreed that even if they have concerns about his war policies, Americans should stand behind the President in Iraq because we are at war.

While the survey shows voters believe (60 percent- 34 percent) that Iraq will never become a stable democracy, they still disagree that victory in Iraq (creating a young, but stable democracy and reducing the threat of terrorism at home) is no longer possible. Fifty-three percent say it's still possible, while 43 percent disagree.

By a wide 74 percent - 25 percent margin, voters disagree with the notion that "I don't really care what happens in Iraq after the U.S. leaves, I just want the troops brought home."

When asked which statement best describes their position on the Iraq War, voters are evenly divided (50 percent - 49 percent) between positions of "doing whatever it takes to restore order until the Iraqis can govern and provide security to their country," and positions that call for immediate withdrawal or a strict timetable.

27 percent said "the Iraq war is the front line in the battle against terrorism and our troops should stay there and do whatever it takes to restore order until the Iraqis can govern and provide security to their country."

23 percent said "while I don't agree that the U.S. should be in the war, our troops should stay there and do whatever it takes to restore order until the Iraqis can govern and provide security to their country."

32 percent said "whether Iraq is stable or not, the U.S. should set and hold to a strict timetable for withdrawing troops."

17 percent said "the U.S. should immediately withdraw its troops from Iraq."

The survey also found that voters thought it would hurt American prestige more to pull out of Iraq immediately (59 percent) than it would to stay there for the long term (35 percent). Public Opinion Strategies "scored the best win-loss record among the major polling and media firms in the 2004 election" and was named Pollster of the Year in 2002.

2. "If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything." - Fred Menger

How odd that a firm of self-identified Republican pollsters came up with this data. One has to wonder if the purpose of this poll is advocacy or analysis, especially since its sponsor (The Moriah Group) is a PR consultancy firm which works mainly for Republican causes and got its start working on Republican electoral campaigns. Not to mention that its first public outing is on the Drudge Report (journos will pick it up from Drudge and not dwell too much on the facts surrounding where the report came from originally when it comes to run the story).

http://www.pos.org/ (I do like their little acronym, by the way.)

The non-partisan pollingreport.com website is down at the moment. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the other polls are saying on the matter. I have a sense that the one above will be an outlier.

3. Hey Trip wire, many thanks Brother for posting timely, and most appropriate, posts regarding the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have been following the message thread on "The Great Debate: A Soldier's View", the SSGs "manifesto" from Afgansitan, and others. I am sure your intent is to stimulate thoughtful, and constructive, dialogue from readers. Unfortunately, it appears that ideological "filters" appear to cloud some respondent's posts. Nevertheless, regardles of ideological and subjective leanings expressed by some, your endeavor is much appreciated.

Regarding the young SSG: Hey guys, give him a break! His perspective is his right. I can remember when I served as a flat bellied. steely eyed Infantry killer 20 plus years ago--and he sounded like me. Now, 20 plus years later, commissioning, and experience working with the SF community, I agree with the writer of "The Great Debate"--nation building is, ultimately, what will best ensure the security interests of western Europe and the US.

Further commentary on the use of SF, advocated by "The Great Debate" would be very much appreciated. And please, respondents, constructive dialogue, both pro and con, would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

4. OK. Pollingreport is back up. I won't cut and paste, but people can see for themselves what all the other surveys from AP-Ipsos/USA Today-Gallup/CBS News and Pew Research Center have to say:

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

5. The fact that this is from the Drugde Report makes it all the more suspect. Polls, like statistics, can be made to prove anything.

Of course Americans want to win in Iraq. It all comes down to how you define victory. To some, victory was toppling Sadaam. To some victory is leaving with honor.

To me, victory was kicking the Republican bums out of office.

This poll is suspect considering a majority of Americans (53%) wants the commander in chief to start bringing the troops home now.

People only quote polls if they reflect their views.

6. All well and good mate, (welcome, BTW) but why not post that on the correct thread? We're talking about something else here.

7. Stoic said

Welcome.

Pretty obvious you haven't swum in this swamp called Arrse for long.

8. Well if he has a paddle around for a bit, I'm sure he'll sink or swim DD :D

Oh don't take anything personally Stoic, it's just our little way.

9. With a name like that, I am not sure he will.

10. Stoic? Reminds me of some bird I boned once upon a time:

" Devil_Dog, you are so stoic when we make love."

Never figured out what she meant. Never asked either but if her next comment was anything to go by, maybe it's a good thing I did not. She said, " I just wish my husband could be the same way too..."

This as a car pulled into the driveway and I made a beeline for the door.

11. This type of question is posed many times; in the US and the UK, yet it remains quite a pointless standpoint. If troops are going to pull out regardless of the state of the nation they way as well pull out now.

12. Sounds like an average Saturday night with the neighbouring girls, the cries of "Misha, Get back into your room now!" can be heard right through the dormitory, after I feel like a little boy being told off, until I notice that I am still erect with a soggy condom hanging from my twaggler.

13. If we get to the point where public opinion is dictating military strategy then we know there is no hope.

Any withdrawl has to be goal, not time orientated. If we set a bunch of deadlines timewise it will just give the insurgents something to hold out for.

What about a poll of the Iraqi people, theirs is the public opnion that matters and is relevent.

14. Apparently they are not too thrilled by our presence there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html

15. fortunately, over in good ole uk, public opinion doesn't sway the government at all, ever - especially when road pricing is mentioned