Politics through the Courts

I would be far more impressed if there was a move to enforce the immediate use of legal aid for the average person against vested interests who make a mint from never being challenged rather than issues that a subjective and it stands to reason that Russia will hardly testify to interfering.

I think it's more a case of we need the course as overseers of the law, politicians being in theory equally subject to the laws of the land as anyone else.

Of course, if the politicians want to change the laws then they're held accountable (or not) through the normal democratic mechanisms.
There are two quite separate issues here. There are not many people who would disagree with you that an individual who happens to be a politician and who is alleged to have committed a criminal act should be prosecuted like any other person would. The other issue is that of the Government or one of its Ministers acting in a way that may be unconstitutional, and whether or not the Supreme Court is competent to make judgements about the powers that the Government can use based on their interpretation of the constitution, and there are many people who would disagree with you on that.

I note that you avoided answering the query about who holds the courts to their task.
I thought it was obvious in my answer: Parliament with their exclusive control of lawmaking.

I thought it was obvious in my answer: Parliament with their exclusive control of lawmaking.
Oh dear, if only. There’s a slight problem. See in my day if the public made a complaint, the police were bound to investigate and ther’s the little matter of policy that comes between how the law works and how it’s meant to work. See the court s are full of shop lifters etc. These are easy targets. But say a Bank lies in court in an application for repossession and profits from that lie in breach of the theft act? You ask the police to investigate. Will they? And it’s not just a matter of interpreting law, which is the function of the court, the public are also faced with policy of police forces. But the serious point is this. If any one person could point to any legislation that includes the Phrase “Subject to the costs involved in investigation offences“ I would be interested.

HE117

LE
Oh dear, if only. There’s a slight problem. See in my day if the public made a complaint, the police were bound to investigate and ther’s the little matter of policy that comes between how the law works and how it’s meant to work. See the court s are full of shop lifters etc. These are easy targets. But say a Bank lies in court in an application for repossession and profits from that lie in breach of the theft act? You ask the police to investigate. Will they? And it’s not just a matter of interpreting law, which is the function of the court, the public are also faced with policy of police forces. But the serious point is this. If any one person could point to any legislation that includes the Phrase “Subject to the costs involved in investigation offences“ I would be interested.
Ok.. this needs a bit of disentanglement!

The core of the British Legal system is parliament and the judiciary, both originally subject solely to the Crown. One formulated law and the other implemented it. Following the Glorious Revolution, the relationship between the Crown and Parliament change, and it was agreed that the Sovereign would not in practice overrule the wishes of Parliament and sign any act presented. The Judiciary is separately subject to the Crown and Parliament has no direct influence over their activities.

Anyone could and did bring complaints to the Crown through the courts. The courts were split into two divisions; criminal which dealt with breaking of the common or statute law, and civil, which dealt with complaints between subjects.

The Police are a fairly new player on the CJ scene and replaced a raft of local officials and sheriffs with responsibility for thief taking and public order. (Sheriffs are something different in Scotland!) Traditionally they had no more powers than any other civilian. Originally individuals were taken to court by the Police themselves through a Police Prosecutor, however this was replaced by the CPS in 1986. In Scotland criminal Prosecutions are dealt with by the Procurator Fiscal.

Private criminal prosecutions are possible, but are rare. The decision to Prosecute is made by the CPS or the PF and is nothing to do with the Police. The Police are a locally funded and directed body (except in Scotland) and the policy as to who they investigate is down to the Chief Constable, in some cases along with a Police Commissioner. None of this is subject to statute in the way you are asking.

It has to be said that there has been a huge amount of political fiddling with the basic structures described above, and in common with many aspects of modern life, seems to have become far too sensitive to minority influence. What we have managed to do is substitute the influence of the "toffs" who were for the majority of situations, truly independent and relatively benign, with a bunch of individuals and groupings which are anything but!

What I do know is that we had a political and legal system that worked better than anything else around, but which has been systematically screwed over the past few decades for no other reason than hubris and incompetence..
Do you have examples of how it has been screwed with?

I can give examples of court closures personally.

If we leave on no deal terms, how are they going to stop us moving anything back and forward to NI?
Leave him talking in the third person...it's amusing. No idea why he wants to bring it here, this is about UK gov and its planned attack on the judiciary. Which we've all known was coming aye?

Same way as they would stop people moving things backwards and forwards between NI and Eire.

That’s not what I’m asking, it’s obvious that movement into and out of The EU could be restricted if we leave on no deal.

How can they stop us moving things between GB and NI if we are out on no deal?

That’s not what I’m asking, it’s obvious that movement into and out of The EU could be restricted if we leave on no deal.

They can't. We can station a few Astute Class Hunter-Killers in the Irish sea.

HCL

LE

Haven't a clue as I'm not privvy to the EU headsheds' thinking but, seeing as it's you, have a go at answering these while you give your a head a wobble:
  1. Why do you think we, the Brits, would know what a quasi nascent super power fanatsies about?
  2. Do you think they'll be sending gunboats up through St George's Channel to run cutting out ops on British shipping sailing across the Irish sea?
  3. Maybe the EU is attemping to generate a manufactured casus belli as a continental-wide unifier for the E27 (kind of a 21st centiury Jenkinski's Ear) what do you think?
  4. Does the RN still have cutlasses and belaying pins on their ships 1157/1032s? Will we able to find a supplier if they don't? Will it be a UK supplier, do you think? Or should we just go with the cheapest bid and source from ShitInThe StreetiStan?
The crusty one or the failed blue polyester armorer will probably be along shortly to either mangle our native tongue or post a Twister to WK you, if not I'm certain you're capable of derialing other threads all on your own in the meantime.

Haven't a clue as I'm not privvy to the EU headsheds' thinking but, seeing as it's you, have a go at answering these while you give your a head a wobble:
  1. Why do you think we, the Brits, would know what a quasi nascent super power fanatsies about?
  2. Do you think they'll be sending gunboats up through St George's Channel to run cutting out ops on British shipping sailing across the Irish sea?
  3. Maybe the EU is attemping to generate a manufactured casus belli as a continental-wide unifier for the E27 (kind of a 21st centiury Jenkinski's Ear) what do you think?
  4. Does the RN still have cutlasses and belaying pins on their ships 1157/1032s? Will we able to find a supplier if they don't? Will it be a UK supplier, do you think? Or should we just go with the cheapest bid and source from ShitInThe StreetiStan?
The crusty one or the failed blue polyester armorer will probably be along shortly to either mangle our native tongue or post a Twister to WK you, if not I'm certain you're capable of derialing other threads all on your own in the meantime.

So no answer then.