Politics in Ulster-Makes UK MPs look like angels!!

Not sure about the title...?

Let's wait and see what comes out of any proper investigation into impropriety - although the underlying story of her infidelity with a chap 40 years younger is a sadder one methinks..

TT

(Toptotty)
Not sure about the title...?

Agreed!

Firstly she is an NI MP not an Ulster one... this also makes her a UK politician, as we all know NI is part of the UK don't we?!

Smart arse rant over.

Was in NI tonight and saw the Spotlight doc. Seems Iris has been a very naughty girl. For those of you not up to speed, she made headlines in 2008 with her remarks against the gay lads and lassies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8446229.stm

Little sympathy for her.

Iris Robinson is an Member of Parliament, Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly and a local councillor.

She earns £63,291 for her position as an MP, £24,296 as an Assembly member and as chairwoman of its health and social services committee and £9,550 as a councillor for the Castlereagh borough in Northern Ireland.

Her husband Peter Robinson earns £63,291 as MP for East Belfast, £71,434 for his role as first minister plus a third of the £43,101 salary for being an Assembly member because he is also an MP.

They claimed between them almost £600,000 last year in salaries and expenses.

Talk about a gravy train.

Spotlight revealed that the man with whom Mrs Robinson had the affair was Kirk McCambley, now 21, and the joint owner of Lock Keeper's Inn off the Shaw's Road in south Belfast.
He's 21. And she's... 60?

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson :D

I donot nor willnot attempt to defend their expences,however,correct me if I'm wrong, but quite a few M.P.s from all parties have been caught out. Including Cyclops himself! This is not new nor is it different from anything practised by the majority of those who sit in Westminster,as well as other assemblies including the Euro Parliament. The only difference seems to be that she's from N.I.and not mainland U.K.She has no doubt been a bit silly,no more than quite a few other M.P.'s over the years,so,lets wait for the other side of the story,lets remember the B.B.C. MAY ALSO have it's own agenda.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd bang it for 50K

Its ok, according to her husband she has asked god to forgive her and god said "no bother Iris Love, batter on"

So the issue has been delt with and could we all just leave the NI MPs alone so they can get back to there duty of doing f*ck all while the rest of the country moves on without them.

countymounty said:
I donot nor willnot attempt to defend their expences,however,correct me if I'm wrong, but quite a few M.P.s from all parties have been caught out. Including Cyclops himself! This is not new nor is it different from anything practised by the majority of those who sit in Westminster,as well as other assemblies including the Euro Parliament. The only difference seems to be that she's from N.I.and not mainland U.K.She has no doubt been a bit silly,no more than quite a few other M.P.'s over the years,so,lets wait for the other side of the story,lets remember the B.B.C. MAY ALSO have it's own agenda.
Nonsense.

What she has done is arguably worse than claiming expenses for a, say, a duck pond. The latter is about a group of people who developed group consensus on what is right and what is wrong. The problem is collectively, they are so removed from reality that they fell drastically on the wrong side of the line.

In this case, she acted in a way that goes way beyond claiming for expenses. This is corruption. There are no nuances here at all. Her husband is also quite clearly in breach of the ministerial code. He needs to go. She needs to go to jail.

EdwardCoke said:
countymounty said:
Nonsense.

What she has done is arguably worse than claiming expenses for a, say, a duck pond. The latter is about a group of people who developed group consensus on what is right and what is wrong. The problem is collectively, they are so removed from reality that they fell drastically on the wrong side of the line.

In this case, she acted in a way that goes way beyond claiming for expenses. This is corruption. There are no nuances here at all. Her husband is also quite clearly in breach of the ministerial code. He needs to go. She needs to go to jail.
And the difference between your bunch of retrobates and ours is? My point is that ALL of them,are the same,different coat of paint maybe,but under the skin,all the same. We need the whole bunch cleared out and a new start made. A new rule book would also be a good idea,one written by the tax payer. Remember you've only heard the b.b.c.,s point of view so far,I HOWEVER,look forward to hearing the other side's answer,before I make my mind up! Until then put a hold on the gallows!

Iris has always come across publicly as a "holier than thou sanctimonious soul", with a willingness to lecture evryone else on what's right or wrong in life, like most politicians with a strong ideological bent (in her case fervent protestant and unionist). To see her in the obvious legal, ethical and moral pickle she is in is a bit salutory and a lesson to all pontificators.

Feel a bit sorry for her husband though, as he's a deeply honest man, who has a high degree of personal integrity (integrity seriously tested now by the woman he's loved for over 40 years!).....

TT

Toptotty said:
Iris has always come across publicly as a "holier than thou sanctimonious soul", with a willingness to lecture evryone else on what's right or wrong in life, like most politicians with a strong ideological bent (in her case fervent protestant and unionist). To see her in the obvious legal, ethical and moral pickle she is in is a bit salutory and a lesson to all pontificators.

Feel a bit sorry for her husband though, as he's a deeply honest man, who has a high degree of personal integrity (integrity seriously tested now by the woman he's loved for over 40 years!).....
Wait out! Wait for the other side to have it's say,all you've heard so far is I,I,I,I,I,I,nothing from the other side,at least give a little time for the woman herself to maybe make some kind of statement.
TT

CM - noted, but you will see a link on the BBC website beside the story to both her and her husband's official statements on the ex-marital affair etc already....

PS: when replying to a quote can you comment "outside the original quote please" - polite request

TT

Why is anyone shocked that a politician has been found to be corrupt. It does not matter whether it is Parliment, Stormont, the US Senate or the Afghan Loy Jurga (??) They are all corrupt.

Here on my side of the pond, in the past year or so, a Governor resigned due to consorting with prostitutes, a Governor essentially disappeared for a week to visit his mistress in South America, a congressman was found with $100,000.00 in cold bribe cash in his freezer, my local state senator was sent to jail this week for a year due to drunk driving problems, Bertie Ahern resigned as Taoiseach of Ireland for financial improprieties.... one could go on forever.

Mrs Robinson does seem to have a defense in that she was apparently on the edge of barking mad. Despite that, I would do her for a lot less than 50,000. But then again, i have very low standards.

DavidBOC said:
Mrs Robinson does seem to have a defense in that she was apparently on the edge of barking mad. Despite that, I would do her for a lot less than 50,000. But then again, i have very low standards.
Someone posted that the lad was 21. The BBC link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8447383.stm says he's only 19. Imagine what the lad was thinking - "yes, I'm banging the first minister's wife and getting £50k for my troubles".

Ah the old "honest guvnor it wasn't my fault, I had an illness" excuse again. The woman is a filthy liar and a disgusting hypocrite. She espouses christian values and embarks on an active gay-bashing campaign only to be caught having an affair with a 19 yr old kid. She actively planned that fraud, knowing exactly what she was doing, even getting the cash split between different payees to try to hide the evidence.

The fact that she had an affair and is trying to make excuses just shows her as the sanctimonious hypocrite that she is. The fact that she, as an MP and lawmaker, has been caught deliberately stealing from the taxpayer and trying to hide the evidence shows her as a common criminal fraudster who should be locked up. The fact that she's trying to excuse herself from blame due to illness shows her as an utter cnut. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Unfortunately nothing will happen to her. Imagine you or I did the same thing - we would go straight to jail - absolutely no question. I don't like Peter Robinson - miserable, bigoted fecker - but he's been done over by his utter bitch of a wife. He has made a few errors in this whole sordid affair but I think he's ended up in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" position, so it's unfair to call for his head to go on the block.

countymounty said:
You must be! But yes you are right,they've all to some extent got their noses in the trough.
That is not an excuse.
There should be an offence of corruption in public office with a minimum jail term of 20 years.
These people set themselves apart as fit to govern our country, when caught stealing from us they should face justice.

It is our money after all.

Lets not forget the really appalling thing is she exploited a 19 year old constituent who came to her for help as his MP following the death of his father.

Robinson exploited this boy/man and his situation for her own ends.

Its a clear case of abuse of power.