Politicians not taking defence seriously?

Right now we have a real indicator of how seriously politicians consider the topic of defence policy, it is being discussed in Parliament as I type this, and there are no more than 20 MP's in the house of commons, of all parties. If this is the best any of them can do to fix the broken covenent, we might as well give up now!

Or perhaps they are all stuck in the queues at Westminster, waiting to get their suppers......

Appreciate this isnt anything new, but its shocking to watch the lack of interest - on the Parliament channel right now (I know I need to get out more).

Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher said:
Appreciate this isnt anything new, but its shocking to watch the lack of interest - on the Parliament channel right now (I know I need to get out more).

Ratcatcher
WE'VE found the viewer who watches this channel :wink: I knew the stats people werent lying when they said some sad chap tunes in :D

Yes - extremely sad - I foolishly thought that some politicians might just take defence seriously or have something good to say, I should have just gone with my instincts, that being that our politicians just dont care.

RC

FFS gents we've got a Part-Time Secretary Of State for Defence. What more evidence is needed to show how seriously Neu-Liarbour take Defence and Defence related issues.

Politicians not taking defence seriously?

The only defense any politician takes seriously is his own 'criminal defense'
when he is caught with his hand in the till or doing something that is still ilegal even amongst consenting adults.

Any other defense is an abstract concept not worthy of thought or consideration.

I feel that I should point out that SOSDefence is part time, and not casual labour, however much he may try to give the impression otherwise.

STAB joke.

rebel_with_a_cause said:
FFS gents we've got a Part-Time Secretary Of State for Defence. What more evidence is needed to show how seriously Neu-Liarbour take Defence and Defence related issues.
Well to be fair it should revert to the War Office. Defence is something we couldn't do if attacked but we're doing pretty well at waging wars.

Ord_Sgt said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Well to be fair it should revert to the War Office. Defence is something we couldn't do if attacked but we're doing pretty well at waging wars.
What do you mean we have plenty of blokes (ooops bloke) left here for defence, we might just need to call up the ACF and Veterans to man the pick elves thats all.

Were like Keegan in his Newcastle management days ' Forget Defence, Attack, Attack,Attack :roll:

mushroom said:
I feel that I should point out that SOSDefence is part time, and not casual labour, however much he may try to give the impression otherwise.

STAB joke.
Nice one.

Although I hesitate to mention this, politicians are not the only group who rate defence as a low priority.

I can guarantee you that a lot more of the electorate went to MP's surgeries complaining about defence issues, or even wrote / emailed MP's about it, it would become more of an issue.

Unfortunately, Mr & Mrs Bloggs don't really care about defence - they are more concerned about good schools for their kids, hospitals that won't kill their family or friends via MRSA and how they will pay the mortgage and sort out their pensions.

Until that is all sorted out, don't hold your breath on the electorate banging the drum for the armed forces.

All very sad really. Thank f*^k I don't in UK anymore!!

Politician's not taking defence seriously? Who'd have thought it? Perhaps that's why HM Forces don't take politicians seriously either. Pie-eating, money grubbing, ignorant cnuts.

Rant over. Out.

Cable_Ties said:
Politician's not taking defence seriously? Who'd have thought it? Perhaps that's why HM Forces don't take politicians seriously either. Pie-eating, money grubbing, ignorant cnuts.

Rant over. Out.
Since when have they ever taken defense seriously WW2 excepted.
SOS for defence is merely a stepping stone to higher places, the only interest MPs take is to backstab them on the way in the hope of jumping into their shoes.
It has nothing to do with International threats and bottom of the pile is the armed forces.
BORIS
:?

Considering Jaqui Smiths comments about the TA's and Milibands that military is no solution to a crisis.....utter fackers, utter fackers. Not only they dont have a clue about life outside their pampered existences but they are making decisions that effect the military like no other since WWII, utter, utter facking cants.

Well said. Now if only these docile tw@ts had the gumption to read this drivel we post here I would feel better but since they have pies to eat, money to shave off budgets and into their own pockets, I doubt they'll have the time.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Part of the problem IMHO is with the new intake of young MPs currently taking over the Commons.

Very few, if any, have served or even spent time with those in the forces, except for a few photo opportunities with cadets or with dapper pipe bands from the Scottish regiments at fetes.

Most of the new lot have no interest in 'old school' issues like duty or patriotism or whatever you want to call that motive that leads politicians to serve anything other their own ambitions for themselves.

In my experience, if you ask many of 'em why they became MPs in the first place, they'll talk about themselves, their careers, their chances of promotion, etc and you have to prompt them hard to get them to articulate what they're supposed to stand for as 'public servants'.

What an absolute shower they are.

Cable_Ties said:
Now if only these docile tw@ts had the gumption to read this drivel we post here
They wont, ever.
They do the 'peoples consultation' once every few years and harp on about 'the peoples voice/choice/say/democracy' during elections, but this amounts to a photo op at some local school, which they would never dream of sending their own kids to and a tea and cake session with some lentil munching islingtonite twaats who only found out about this through the facking guardian, all sitting there twiddling their thumbs bemoaning Thatchers 'murder' of the miners and israels current assualt upon the free universe and climate change.

Ask a young english man with short hair, especially one who has served, or heaven forbid got injured while on duty their opinion?....having a facking laugh!!!!!!! Ears firmly shut there, next!!!!!

Whats so hard to swallow is Brown gurning for the photo shoot with the boys in iraq and gan. what an utter cant. how he had the audacity to do that; really is a liberty taker of epic proportions.

Grrrrrrrr for Bagwell too.

King_of_the_Burpas said:
Part of the problem IMHO is with the new intake of young MPs currently taking over the Commons.

Very few, if any, have served or even spent time with those in the forces, except for a few photo opportunities with cadets or with dapper pipe bands from the Scottish regiments at fetes.

Most of the new lot have no interest in 'old school' issues like duty or patriotism or whatever you want to call that motive that leads politicians to serve anything other their own ambitions for themselves.

In my experience, if you ask many of 'em why they became MPs in the first place, they'll talk about themselves, their careers, their chances of promotion, etc and you have to prompt them hard to get them to articulate what they're supposed to stand for as 'public servants'.
What an absolute shower they are.
Nail utterly on the head there.

A state's moral right to tax its citizens comes from the State's pledge to protect the citizens' right to leave freely and peacefully within the law. That means Armed Forces and Police. All other tax spending is secondary.

The world is changing very quickly and things are going to get messy. UKPLC can't feed itself (it couldn't in 1939-1945) it needs a UK flagged merchant fleet and the means to protect it. Maybe not today but come the day that China and India have chartered or bought every container ship, bulker and U/VLCC ship (not flagged in the US, France or Israel) the rest of us will rapidly become third world. Russia's hold on existing gas, oil and gas under the sea in disputed and hostile areas, water supplies, sea levels, rising, food shortages, the one way movement of the world's population, piracy, terrorism, drug running. Mayhem is coming and Broon will propose a contract of acceptable behaviour.

Drug interdiction; I wrote on Rum Ration that the recent successes of the RN/RM and RFA (with DEA/USCG input) in the Caribbean in confiscating cocaine probably isn't going down well among many UK voters as so many people (not just druggies and celebs) enjoy fcuking their noses up. Their hobby is becoming expensive as a reult of 'defence'. No votes there.

There is no off the shelf solution, there is no way to predict exactly when we have to ramp up and assert ourselves in a way that the US will to defend or secure our trade and our supplies of food, water, fuel and the space to use them. I'm not yet talking about taking someone else's fuel, food, water from them.