Politicians in MTP ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by whatnow?, Sep 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    I have a genuine question which i hope someone can answer

Do our elected MP's wear Military uniform ?

I only ask as OA has been informed through the magic of Facebook that some of them are visiting Batus and wearing MTP ??

This must be a mistake.....or are they on a serious Walt mission ? I only wish i was there to ask them personally what the feck they were doing!

Thank you
  2. No, there's a parliamentary group that do visits to military units. I forget what they're called but they wear the portcullis on their 'rank' slides. It's all legit.
  3. Call me gullible if you like but I will kick this off with a serious answer.

They could, possibly, be members of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Armed Forces members of which do make relatively frequent visits to to units.

IIRC MPs can also have more specific attachments to the Army, RN or RAF - I forget (I worked in Parliament many years ago) though if that was through this group or another.
  4. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

They, like any civvie can wear the uniform, it's about slipping your arms into the arm bits and doing up zips, buttons and stuff.

Most Politicians are not serving military so don't. If you are referring to a roaving pack, then Politicians often do immersion learning where they wear the gear, pretend to march, allowed to touch a rifle and so on. Rather like cadets.

They're not choosing not to wear their Blue's at Rememberence parades..
  6. They are AFPS - a nice little scheme which gives MPs a chance to see and experience military life. Not walter like, providing they only wear the kit when on exercise / visits to Op Theatres.

Frankly any scheme which gives MPs a good view of defence is a good one in my book.
  7. Agreed, especially if that 'view' means looking down the barrel of a Taliban held AK47.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

a few are TA aren't they?

if they get their call up does their package include fiddles?
  9. I doubt the MOD issue violins to anyone, even serving MPs.
  10. It's MTP, not service dress with medals.

There isn't some "presentation of the PCS" ceremony once you become a trained soldier. You can buy the stuff in Army Surplus shops.

Picture the scene:

"Hello, I'm an MP and I've come to see soldiers doing stuff."

"They're doing it outside. Do you have a waterproof?"

"Here, borrow this one."

It's hardly a case for the Waltenkommando.