Politicians get a Full Pension Yet Military only get Half Is that fair?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Chunkie, Oct 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Politicians retire on a full salery pension and possibly a golden handshake and never put their lives on the line, yet anyone who has served their time in the armed forces only gets half wage pension counts his medals and gets a pat on the back if he's lucky. When I were a lad when Pontious was a pilot this was called double standards. I dont consider this fair and morally wrong, so does the general public at large, what are your views?:salut:

2. By the Christ.

3. That you're a moron?

4. I only asked? But thats the typical answer from someone that obviously deserves what he gets!

5. Some of us who served pre 75 get nought:crying::pissedoff:

6. typical politicians still got their noses in the swill trough.

K

7. They make the rules, so obviously they will ensure the best deal for themselves. Nothing new there I'm afraid, it's just human nature. Yourself and family first (to ensure that your genes get the best chance), then anybody else.

8. I should have tried harder at school ^~

9. What's a salery?

10. and who's pat?

11. Of course, the truth is that MPs don't get a 'full' pension, unless they serve at least 40 years as an MP. But lets not let the facts get in the way of a good old fashion lie.....

12. I had heard something to that effect, but they always resort to the 'We don't comment on individual cases' when pressed further. Any ideas as to a ball park figure, for say 5, 10, and 20 years served? All index linked mind, and still final salary I believe. Although the PM qualifies for his pension from day one n'est ce pas?

(And if I was writing the rules, my perks would be right up there with the current MPs trough, I'm just jealous).

13. Pension rules for MP's, they're not exactly a state secret.

Also, don't forget that there are many civilians who would be more than happy with the same pension rights as the military. Contrary to what the OP seems to believe the armed forces pension is a very good one.

edited for clarity.

14. MPs accrue at either 1/40th, 1/50th or 1/60th, with an associated contribution rate set at 11.9%, 7.9% and 5.9% respectively.[1]

[1] - Frequently Asked Questions: MPs - UK Parliament Bottom of page.

The Armed Forces Pension is at a 1/56th accrual rate, although is based on Final Salary and is nominally non-contributory. Note that AFPS15 will be an accrual rate of 1/47h, but will be based on career average wage. [2]

[2] - Future Armed Forces Pension Scheme Sorry for polluting your Pongo eyes.

Last I checked the MPs get a better rate for a less secure job. Horses for courses.

15. Jeezus hell fire and gadzooks. What is the world coming to?

Thought about another job?

Thought about putting yourself up as a local candidate at the next elections?

My pension is looking fabbo.

Thanks for asking.