Political roles and the TA

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by EX_STAB, Apr 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. It's widely known that certain MPs are members of the TA but it's also often drummed in that serving personnel can't get involved with political movements.

    What are the applicable regulations?
  2. I think its in the TA TACOS that you can do pretty much whatever you want outside of the TA's time but you cannot use the Army for personal or business related gain.

    So your local MP can be a TA soldier but he cant wear his uniform whilst trying to get votes? That is how I interpreted it anyway
  3. msr

    msr LE

    TA Regs:

    3.307. Electoral Candidature – FTRS/ADC. No member of the Reserve Forces in FTRS or ADC may be an elected member of a national assembly, the House of Commons, the
    European Parliament or any other legislative assembly. For election to local authorities, see QR(Army) para J5.586. In addition, such personnel are forbidden to publicly announce
    their prospective candidature for election to any of these bodies and are to take all steps within their power to ensure that no public announcement of candidature or prospective
    candidature is made before their FTRS or ADC commitment has been terminated.
    3.308. Procedures. A member of the TA in FTRS or ADC who wishes to stand as a candidate for election to one of the bodies mentioned in para 3.307 other than a local
    authority (see QR(Army) para J5.586) must apply to MS Reserves APC through his commanding officer to terminate his FTRS or ADC commitment. In his own interests he should apply as early as possible, preferably giving at least 3 months notice to terminate an FTRS commitment and at least one months notice to terminate ADC. Approval of an application will depend on the exigencies of the service. An unsuccessful candidate will have no right to reinstatement in FTRS or ADC duties.


    10.002. Exclusions. Personnel in FTRS are not to take an active part in the affairs of any political organization, party or movement. They are neither to participate in political
    marches or demonstrations, nor be an elected member of any local authority, national assembly, the House of Commons, the European Parliament or any other legislative assembly. Full details of this restriction are at paras 3.307-3.309.
  4. And the rules for members of the TA not serving under FTRS or ADC are?
  5. msr

    msr LE

    Feel free to rummage through TA Regs ;)
  6. as extention to the OP's question - is there a established TA/reservist set of rules about how members of the TA can be both members of the armed forces and operate successfully as politicians, academics, journalists (ie: people who are paid to share their opinions) etc in their civilian lives..?

    i ask this because the Air Cadets, with which i am a civilian volunteer, has brought out a new policy on social networking, texting and internet use which very much appears to suggest that members of the ACO, whether they be uniformed staff, civilian volunteers and cadets, should not publish anything - whether they are identifiable as members of the ACO or not - that falls outside their 'remit'.

    so an instructor in the ACO cannot be a motoring journalist, or an historian, or indeed anything which requires you to write in the public domain on any subject other than your specific role in the ACO...

    obviously the policy is bollock and will be completely ignored, but, just for shits and giggles, it might be worth comparing this tripe to the regulation in the TA and other, rather more 'grown-up' than the village napoleons in the Air Cadets.
  7. @ cokecan:

    There is an MoD-wide DIN requiring permission to be obtained for communication with the public and media about defence. As interpreted and described by you, the new Air Cadets policy appears to go further than that, and would be unjustified. It may be a mistaken policy, or it might have been incorrectly explained to you.
  8. I don't have a copy to hand, but FWIW it is in TA Regs Chapter 3 Part 8. There is no restriction on being an MP, Councillor etc and at the same time a member of the reserve forces not serving under FTRS or ADC.
  9. i'm pretty sure its the policy - i've read it, and it contains no caveats or dispensations. it contains an example, but its a singular example, and makes no mention that its the only area of life that you can't talk about - and the policy is very explicit that you may only talk about things 'within your remit'.

    for me, at the moment, that means drinking tea and building a raft.
  10. The 'within your remit' bit is actually quite normal. In your case I would take it to mean that you can happily explain the day's training programme to a journalist on a bona fide press visit, but you should not (without permission) give him or her your unique take on higher ATC policies or personalities.

    It does NOT mean that you cannot write and publish a book about fly-fishing.
  11. is there any chance that any TA/RAAuxF/RNR regs actually say that?

    sadly, i don't trust HQAC as far as as i could throw them uphill in a stiff breeze - my fear, and that of my colleagues, is that any loophole in the policy can be used against a member of the ATC.

    the fact that its, in my view, fabulously vague and as all eveloping as possible is entirely deliberate - if its meant to be purely defence centric and in no way meant to constrain speech on anything else then why not say so...
  12. Sort of along these lines. Does anyone know the Army policy on representing a charity as a soldier. So for example, in public collecting money for charity (ABF, RBL, SSAFA) while in uniform. Does it vary for what the charity represents?