Political Party Affiliation

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by WhatTheDickens, Dec 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Arrse

I will be starting my application soon and I was wondering if the Army has a stance on Political Parties? Are soldiers expected to remain apolitical in regards to party membership? Will I be expected to leave if I am admitted to Sandhurst? I have scoured the website but have not managed to find any reference to this issue anywhere! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
  2. Generally the armed forces are expected to be apolitical, however troops are supposedly expected and even encouraged to vote. Membership of one of the mainstream political parties shouldn't be a problem but you would not be permitted to use your position in the army as a basis for party political campaigning. Clearly if you are talking about membership of an extremist organisation (BNP springs to mind) then your values and standards are unlikely to be compatible with those of the armed forces.

In summary, I can't see why you might not be permitted to be a member of a main stream political party but don't expect to be heavily involved in political activity while serving in the regular army. There are some MPs in the TA so it can't be completely verboten.
  3. My local MP is a junior minister in the coalition government as well as a serving Major in the RE (V), so shouldn't be too much of a problem
  4. Thank you for the information. I had an inkling that this would be the case, but it is good to have it confirmed.

There should be no problems here as I am suitably mainstream. Thanks again for taking the time to answer!
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

There is no problem with being a member of a mainstream political party, nor with taking part in most political activities. You aren't allowed to stand for public office (as a regular), take part in public political controversies and you shouldn't attend political events in uniform but other than that it is OK.

Membership of extremist political groups of right and left is more problematic. It certainly says something about your values and standards and might well affect vetting status too.