• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Political Parties

Do I have to relinquish membership of my political party prior to joining up?

I would like to write a letter to the Adj of the Blues and Royals, basically asking him what would be the best steps to take etc to gaining a commision in that regiment.

Much thanks,

ducki
Not really many options?

DaPs said:
What political party are you a member of?
Conservatives

Lurgan_Stoop said:
As some of you may know, I hope to sign my life away within the next year. However, first off, I would like to write a letter to the Adj of the Blues and Royals, basically asking him what would be the best steps to take etc to gaining a commision in that regiment.

Much thanks,

ducki
Not really many options?

Why does that always keep coming back to haunt me?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I think if your joining the SS party membership might be an advantage
However anything else I don't think any one is that bothered

Good lad :D

I don't see why you'd have to give up your right to be part of a political party to join the army. The only reason i could think of would be if it were racist and/or violent. I hardly think the Conservatives come under that bracket!

DaPs said:

I don't see why you'd have to give up your right to be part of a political party to join the army. The only reason i could think of would be if it were racist and/or violent. I hardly think the Conservatives come under that bracket!
the_boy_syrup said:
Ah, thats ok then. I semi-remember reading somewhere that you have to politically impartial to serve or something like that, which means no membership of political parties.

duckiciao said:
DaPs said:

the_boy_syrup said:
Ah, thats ok then. I semi-remember reading somewhere that you have to politically impartial to serve or something like that, which means no membership of political parties.
You can be a member of a party but you cannot take an active part in campaigning on any issue, attend meetings etc in uniform or allow your name and employment to be connected with any issue.

Litotes

As Litotes said. Extract below from Queen's Regulations. Mere membership of a political party is not prohibited. rgds, BAFF

Political Activities
JS.581.
a. Regular Service personnel are not to take any active part in the affairs of any political organisation, party or movement. They are not to participate in political marches or demonstrations.
b. No restriction is to be placed upon the attendance at political meetings of such personnel provided that uniform is not worn, Service duties are not impeded, and no action is taken which would bring the Service into disrepute.
c. (Army only. TA Personnel are governed in their political activities by TA Regs Chapter 3 Part 8.)