Political Correctness - Health & Safety Rules

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Jul 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Please read the following in today's Scotland on Sunday, especially the bit about 'Cotton Wool Military'.

2. Playing the piano will be restricted next, for fear of RSI. How about playing drums too... potentially RSI and hearing problems.

Have these people really got nothing better to do? :omfg:
  3. Well if they deem bagpipes as a health risk,
    surely combat is much more of a health risk ?
  4. :D :D :D :D :D
  5. If people didn’t keep fu*king suing for breaking a finger nail or scrapping a knee, people who think up these stupid regulations would be sent back to the pasty little offices where they originated.

However, because individuals are now urged to claim compensation for absolutely everything, read the bizarre advice sometimes given even on this website.

We reap what we sow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. The local ACF detachment (RA badged) organise our Remembrance Sunday Parade and include a gun fired to mark the start and end of the 2 minutes silence. Although the bangs are expected and the gun is more than 100m away, I still jump. Christ knows what it does for the elderly veterans present.

The real point of my post, though, is that the concussion sets off car alarms, therefore the first minute of the Silence is interrupted by multiple two-tone sirens. Quieter saluting rounds may not be such a daft idea, after all.
  7. I'm sure the veterans dont flinch! They may well be used to it.

Car alarms going off is not a lack of respect, they dont know the difference. Someone whining that they are too noisy needs to have a bayonet passed through their neck.
  8. Although if the judicial system didn't accept half these claims, it wouldn't be so easy. The government needs to lead from the front with the judicial system.

Jo Bloggs is bombarded with "ambulance chaser" ads on the TV, e.g. "have you fallen over at work?" Jo's sitting there thinking, "Erm no... but give me half an hour and I'll manage something."

The chaser then merrily leads Jo down the compensation path. Employers/councils/local authorities then get hit with higher insurance premiums and it turns into one vicious circle.

Small employers (and I run 3 small companies) are being driven into the ground by both employment and H&S legislation to prevent everything under the sun as well as being nabbed for higher and higher insurance.

At least the personal injury lawyers are authorised. As for financial services... none of the "have you been mis-sold anything, are you absolutely sure now?" type ambulance chasers don't even have to be regulated. That's a whole worse scenario than the PI debacle!
  9. Bit harsh, Lord Flashheart :lol:
  10. But ultimately fair, I think you’ll find.

Probably get sued because the knife wasn’t sharp enough and it didn’t cut cleanly enough
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Now you're just being silly !
  12. Spot on Caarps

I used to get mad when I'd hear these stories, but now I think don't shoot the messenger shoot the idle free riding fcukers who spend their whole life trying to claim a living :pissedoff:

Still my sympathy store is even more depleted with this story and I'm surprised it has taken this long to see scot piping as a H&S risk 8O

Everyone knows it takes an Irishman to play the pipes :salut:
  13. Health and Safety is about to ban smoking across the Army (including banning smoking in Ph1 establishments entirely - not ban in messes or in buildings, but entirely)... smoking in:

The POL compound? bad
    The ammo compound? bad
    With a coffee in the mess? Far, far too dangerous to contemplate

PS I'm a non-smoker (ok... occassional cigar after dinner)
  14. As H&S officer, unfortunately I see this sort of stuff on a depressingly regular basis! H&S, if used properly and sensibly, is designed to mitigate (not completely eliminate) workplace accidents and keep the workforce working.

Unfortunately, H&S law tends to get hijacked to push through unpopular and stupid decisions made by poorly-qualified and ill-advised half-wits who don't seem to know any better, because they still perceive H&S as a "black art". And that really spoils it for the sensible advisors who are trying to come up with the most reasonable options when trying to balance the requirements of the law against the requirements of the workplace.

I sooooo expect to be slated for this..............! :D
  15. Gahhh! Arghhh! Where's the exit from this F**king country?