Political Compass

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Oyibo, Mar 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure this has been done before, but after a search I could not find it here:

Essentially this is a questionaire to ascertain whether you are left or right, authoritarian or libertarian:

Political compass

I'd be fascinated by the Sven/Ashie results (but probably unsurprised) and by those of the more 'right of centre' pursuasion. Mainly because I suspect that the 'left' is now far more authoritarian than the 'right'.

My results for what they're worth (and yes, I have been called on a number of occasions a fascist/racist baby killer as have many in the armed forces):

Attached Files:

2. The political compass is biased, it will make you appear more left-wing then you are.

Or at least that's what the school of politics in my university believes.

3. There isnt a "no opinion" option so people must agree or disagree.

Some of the questions are not presented right the "The rich are too highly taxed" what is defined as rich?
    or this one
    "A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."

Yes that is a great advantage but that doesn't mean I support a one party state.

4. According to the very selective questions on that.

"Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -2.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.41"

Which is a bit left of centre and up a tadge from horizontal.

5. These are the marks I scored, but I don't know how to get that graph thingy in my post.

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

The little spot was down in the bottom left-hand corner. Is that good or bad?

MsG

6. Interesting. I'm not disagreeing with you, but on what basis does the scholl of politics base that that opinion? Surely it is a subjective measure unless there is a firm definition for right and left? The same must surely apply to authoritarianism and libertarianism?

7. Im called a racist bigot etc etc, so where does that put my actual position? going by the above score?

8. Well I'm off to a non-branded organic local greengrocer's to buy some mung beans and lentil's, then get some sandal's and heal some leper's on the way.
    I came out between Ghandi and Nelson Mandella. However there wasn't a question about lining up English against a wall in an ethnic cleansing of Wales, else I would come out to the right of Pinochet! :D
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-8.00&soc=-4.56Economic Left/Right: -8.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

9. Very bad Bugsy. Unsurprising, but very bad :D

10. I'm closest to Nelson Mandela apparently.

11. What were your scores, Wedgie? Can you remember?

MsG

12. New Labour. Seriously.

13. LOL. Fair enough - maybe this thread should be in ther NAAFI. I'm Sure it would skew the answers if there were questions about lining English/Welsh/Black/Yellow/Scottish/Irish people against the wall :D

Still, I liked my results :p

14. Trust me here, thats one thing I am not.

15. Your political compass
    Economic Left/Right: -4.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

As far left as Gandhi and twice as libertarian. I best hide my red flag.

http://yfrog.com/1npcgraphpngphpp