Political bias, the BBC, libraries and who actually uses them?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunoficarus, Mar 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Other than the unsavoury nature of the BBC's blatant political bias, the real question in all this blather over libraries is, who actually uses them?

My local library seems to be little more than a day centre for the dossers of the town and doesn't seem to actually function as a 'library' as I would understand it. Any books of any intellectual merit all seem to have been packed off to the central store and are by request only.

BBC criticised for bias over Zadie Smith's R4 broadcast - Telegraph

2. Yeah, letz get rid of them libraries, cos we knows how to read, innit.

3. there has been a sustained (10 years +) campagin to keep a one of my local libraries open, they have "won" after a fashion, the council relented and even offered to refurb the place

YAY and other words along the lines were heard to be shouted, when the new "improved" library was reopened the council had taken a large victorian library with 3 reading rooms a research section and a classroom used by community groups and turned it into a one room library

I'd "guess" that before refurb there was 20k+ books post referb no more then a reasonably stocked bookshop maybe 2K(that is a guess but you get the scale of the cuts)
    it was deemed a massive success and 3 other libraries in the borough have had the same treatment and a further two closed

4. Isn't that exactly the issue?

We dont need no edukashun people don't use them, and them that can read, buy their books online at Amazon for about the same cost as driving into town to the library and paying for the parking twice, and don't use them either.

5. HHH

HHH LE

In my local library you have no problem getting books as long as they are in Polish or Lithuanian.

6. Yeah, if you've got the money to drive down to them, or buy online.

Plenty of people use my local library. And seeing the torygraph attacking someone for attacking a tory policy is as about as surprising as learning that a bear, does indeed shit in the woods.

7. From the article:

"…Various listeners pointed out that the decision to close Kensal Rise library was taken by the local Labour-controlled Brent council, which has earmarked six libraries for closure.…"

8. Leave him to it, some other Tory cheerleader will be on in a minute and they'll have a **** Off!

9. My position isn't pro-labour. It anti-closure of libraries. Along with not selling off the family silver, because "who really uses it eh? They won't mind paying some rich bloke to be even richer"

The same people who'll sell our military, our police, our hospitals, and anything else they can get hold of to the highest bidder, and who gives a **** about the actual service they'll provide.

Blues and Royals? Give 'em long enough, and they'll be the Blues & Barclay's first regiment of Investment Guards.

10. In this case who is selling what? The rant on the radio this morning was about closing libraries, something which this government has NOT requested. The article was about the closure of a library in Labour controlled Brent, so if any party is responsible for closing libraries in the instance quoted on Radio4 it is Labour. The party that marched about cuts - the same cuts that they themselves would have made had they been in power.

11. Not requested? Not put a halt to? Not provided funds to make sure they didn't close? And as I quite clearly pointed out, my position ISN'T PRO LABOUR....

(maybe someone needs one of those Libraries... if only someone could find one...)

12. The library in question is being closed by a Labour controlled council.

You still haven't addressed my point, it's now cheaper to buy mass market books online than it would cost in petrol and parking charges to go and borrow one from a library.
    Now that most libraries have either non existent or very slim reference sections, (and the internet can provide most of the reference sources you need now), the need for them has effectively vanished for most people.

The demise of the Net Book Agreement effectively ended the need for libraries as books became readily affordable for most people. History and technology marches on, and while libraries had their place, they are now by and large an expensive and rather underused anachronism.

13. Well perhaps if people made better use of these libraries they may not be targeted by councils as potential sites for closure. The govenrment has told councils to cut their budgets, and to stop loading their overspending on council tax payers, they have emphasised that it should not be front line services being affected. Does the chief executive of Brent council really earn his £194K per year?

14. And like I said, my local library receives plenty of use. And if you have the money to drive and park, then yes, you probably don't need to read the latest airport trash, or bonkbuster from your local library. If you don't have the money, but still want to read then yes they are important.

As for reference, there is a lot that you can't have for free. But if the library buys those books, then you can use them for reference. And having used both the internet, and books for research, I would pick a book any time.

15. Ah, there's the rub! Not to mention, that, once they're gone, they won't come back, but we do have social problems. Nearby to where I live, the local council have decided that since a local playground gets constantly vandalised, they'll close the playground. Nothing about actually stopping it from being vandalised, just close it, and put the money elsewhere. And meanwhile, the local kids go without a playground.