Polishing your boots with laces on...

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by SwampPearl, Jan 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums! :thumright:

So if polishing your boots without taking your laces out and you polish the laces at the bottom (closest ones near the toe), will you get in trouble for this? Are laces supposed to have no polish on them??

How about keeping them waterproof?

Thanks for your answers!

PS: I'm currently a recruit about to start my TSC(A) if this helps
  2. To solve this problem all the switched on guys buy boot zips.
    • Like Like x 10
  3. Never in my life have I taken laces out before polishing my boots.
    Never heard of anyone getting into trouble for having polish on their laces either.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  5. do you not polish your boots with a cotton bud?
  6. If Carlsberg made bone questions. . .
    • Like Like x 4
  7. TA standards.
  8. Good question mate, the last thing you want to do is piss off your Cpl by being late having de-laced your boots.

Just do what i did and polish your feet, your Section Commander will be well impressed with your initiative and you'll probably get a long weekend.
    • Like Like x 11
  9. Take the laces out to polish them. I've never heard of anyone getting bollocked for polish on laces but it means you can polish the tongue and inside of the boot leather properly instead of letting it fester.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Anyone know where he can buy some boot zips?
  11. The bootzipshop.com
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Dunno about getting into trouble, but I always found that ease of cleaning more than made up for the few seconds it took to take the laces out and put them back in.

If someone wants to nitpick (and nobody loves nitpicking more than those whose job it is to train recruits!), it'll be less because of polish on the laces and more because you won't get the tongue of the boot properly clean and there'll be dust around the laces and the eyelets. And finally, nothing looks dafter than dirty laces in beautifully clean boots -- a quick rinse under the tap works wonders.

Oh, and if this is a wah, consider my not-inconsiderable collection of old DMS boots inserted into parts of your anatomy where they don't strictly belong. Together with my mess wellingtons. With the spurs still on.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Just stick to wearing trainers
  14. Take the laces out, curl them onto a roll. A bit like a licorice whip, then bull the tops to a fine sheen.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Use this:

Squidge it at the top of your boot tongue and it'll flow into all the places you can't get at without removing the laces. It keeps your laces black without shining them. Provided you apply it before going to bed, it'll dry by morning and you'll have shinier boots than anybody else.

Worked for me.
    • Like Like x 1