Polishing Silver so it really shines!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've been given a silver Sgian Dhu with a silver badge on it. Lucky me.

The badge is silver but the finish is a tad rough and I want it to shine.

I've been going at it with silver polish and a yellow duster and after 4 hours I've managed to get the edges starting to look shiny but I've got a life and don't neccessarily want to spend the next 6 weeks rubbing my knife.

Any one any tips for getting a good finish on it without wearing it (and my fingers) away.

See if you can get hold of some silver dip, Its a blue liduid and you just dip whatever it is in the liquid for a few minuits, Rinse it off with water and let it dry.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What is the badge mounted on?
Its on the handle of the Sgian Dhu which is made of black bog wood with silver pins.

Does it come off?[/QUOTE]

No its fixed.

Just in case the silver dip affects the wood, get a cotton bud, dip it in the silver dip and rub the badge. It may take a few goes but it will come up. Be sure to rinse it off with fresh water.

The buff up with a Goddards Silver cloth, or similar, they are impregnated with cleaner and will leave a film on the silver stopping it from tarnishing too quickly.

Toothbrush and some silvo, or brasso, or whitening toothpaste

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just in case the silver dip affects the wood, get a cotton bud, dip it in the silver dip and rub the badge. It may take a few goes but it will come up. Be sure to rinse it off with fresh water.

The buff up with a Goddards Silver cloth, or similar, they are impregnated with cleaner and will leave a film on the silver stopping it from tarnishing too quickly.
The surface of the silver has rather a rough finish rather than a smooth finish. Although thats how he made the badge it does not really match the rest of the silver work and I would prefer it to be smoother and more polished looking.

Use wet 1200 grit sandpaper.
I've heard of people using very fine grain sandpaper to polish cap badges. I was a bit concerned about rubbing too much away but I guess rubbing some away until its smooth is what I'm trying to achieve.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Find someone with a buffing wheel ...
I wonder if I could get a small buffing wheel or attachment for a drill. There used to be a little machine called a Dremmel(?) that had all sorts of attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so please excuse fat fingers and slips of the keyboard.

I wonder if I could get a small buffing wheel or attachment for a drill. There used to be a little machine called a Dremmel(?) that had all sorts of attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so please excuse fat fingers and slips of the keyboard.
Dremmel could be too fast to control-one slip and it's all over(£45 on Ebay though). You could take your Skin Doon (I'm English) to your armourer if you're still in-he'll have a bash at it for a few tinnys no doubt. They've usually got some of that blue stuff too!