Polishing normal issued black boots

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by pointboy, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok well I got myuniform issued to me on Tuesday and well I want to know do i polish my whole boot or just part of it? I have no idea as no one has told me and well I'm in the territorial army and don't know if i polish part of the boot or the whole boot, please if you know what I mean reply. I need to know ASAP so i can get them sorted for Tuesday. And they aren't ammo boots they are only the standard issue black leather boots that you get issued

2. sneaky trick bwana.............use black gloss paint, your screws will have a hard on ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Polish the whole boot with polish and brush. Polish, do not bull. And if you are that freaked out you need to speak to your instructor.

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You polish all of it, use Kiwi, one brush to put it on, second brush to take it off, toothbrush for any stitching and where the leather meets the sole, buff with one of mums nylon stockings - do it every night for a year or so.

5. He could always use one his own stockings!!

6. At some stage, you may have to bull them but the brown boots should be issued soon so I wouldn't waste a lot of time over them.

Use Kiwi liquid polish. Colourshine aka Shine and Protect. Used to be Elite.

Press the sponge hard on the boot to open the valve on the polish and get lots of liquid polish on the sponge. I mean lots.

Spread the polish over all of the leather, missing nowhere. Let it dry - it'll take at least 6 hours.

Do it again.

Do it again.

Do it again.

Do it again.

Let it dry for at least 12 hours then ask your mum for a pair of her tights. Resist the urge to sniff them, roll them into a tight ball so that you have a hard-packed smooth surface. Rub the boots with the tights gently using a wide circular motion until you have a smooth surface on the polish.

Spread more polish on the boots and let it dry for 12 hours.

Polish very gently with the tights.

and so on.

Done gently, you'll end up with something very close to a bulled boot. And no, they won't go blue when they get wet - unless you wear them when they're not fully dry.

NEVER do this on the morning before parade. Polish the boots at night and buff them in the morning.

That's been my technique for 30+ years, though I do admit that I'll bull them every 3 months or so with Kiwi Parade Gloss which does help the shine.

7. But not while she's wearing it ...

8. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

And if you do your lower legs in the same polish from just under where the top of the boot reaches all the way up to the knee, you'll avoid that embarrassing show of white when doing more strenuous activities.

(Remember: free advice is always the best advice.)

• Like Like x 1