polishing gongs

Use a rubber (eraser not Johnny)

Goddards silver dip, comes in a jam jar style available from tesco's approx £2.70

Use a rubber on them. Which ones are you trying to polish? The CSM Iraq is supposed to be slightly yellow in colour, if it's that you are scrubbing.

The Iraq Medal is made from some shite metal maybe old mess tins?
I have used a NON abrasive metal polish, the type you can polish chrome metals with, that works well on them.

nail varnish!!! tape around the medal so as not to varnish the material and coat your medals with your missus nail varnish, any colour. leave to dry for a few hours...make sure it is very dry!!! then apply another coat, this time wipe it all off with a cloth, in doing so it removes the previous layer of varnish too, hey presto, fecking shiney medals and as a bonus they seem to stay shiney for longer too!

It will get a good shine if you use all sorts of polish- brasso as the box says is a no no.
I've seen guys with very shiney NATO medals too!

Once you've managed to get that special shine, wrap the gongs in clingfilm , airtight plastic bag or box to stop them oxidising and going dull.

The next time you get your medals mounted, keep them stripped after you polished them, then go to a jewellery shop and have them silver dipped, you won't have to polish them again, I believe this is what the Guards do!

Z

Zarathustra

I use a silver polishing cloth, less chance of getting shite on the ribbon as well if you have them court mounted

In extremis ie last minute when I've forgotten to do them a small bit of toothpaste on finger tip has just about passed muster.

REstitcher said:
Goddards silver dip, comes in a jam jar style available from tesco's approx £2.70
Good stuff - I swear you could actually polish a turd with it!

Stinks like the Devil's own man-paste though...

...or is that just because I jizzed in mine :?

Or as a recommended option try Silvo tarnish guard, it works on mine a treat, just dont get any on the ribbons though

REstitcher said:
It will get a good shine if you use all sorts of polish- brasso as the box says is a no no.
I've seen guys with very shiney NATO medals too!
i use " silvo tarnish guard " its good, then put the medals wrapped up in a air tight resealable bag , i also shine my NATOS they look better , i know your not supposed to, but they look sh-t all smokey .

Had mine dipped some years ago and they are all court mounted, and apart from my UN medals (compressed cardboard anyway) the rest look lovely, but......I did ding one of them once (Rhodesia Medal) at the back and it started to go a bit rusty (not tarnished), I think the process of getting them dipped, strips off a layer of nickel, so be aware.

Mess Dress Ltd In Bournmemouth does the job of dipping, for a cost of course..so all I do now is get a new Selvit cloth and give them a rub up...jobsagoodun

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
abcdefg123 Military Clothing & Boots 10
D Australia 47
P Juniors 8