Polish

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Ex-Ten, Mar 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, not imported plumbers, I'm talking about shiny shoes!

I've been trying out some alternative polishes, including some fancy (and quite expensive) stuff made of beeswax but I've got to say the good old Kiwi Parade Gloss still puts the best shine on my work shoes. :grin:

2. Thanks for starting a thread on polish - it's not like there are no threads on boots, bulling, shoes, etc, etc already.

You don't need polish - you need this: Advanced Search - The Army Rumour Service

3. RezzaDue

RezzaDue Old-Salt Book Reviewer

One of the very few words in the english language where a capital letter makes all the difference.

Thank you for extensive research and posting the results here, im sure the members of arrse can die happy knowing this

• Like Like x 1
  4. Move along please, nothing to see here!

5. YOU WHAT?

Are you some kind of hippy weirdo?

Why would you even contemplate such a thing?

I think the death penalty exists for any soldier, serving or retired, who uses anything other than Kiwi.

My dad (ex-gunner) found a tin of cherry in the house once, there was nearly murder.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Tins of Cherry are only good for one thing, throwing at people.

7. Thanks for that, I feel much better now! :cheers:

8. That's not quite correct. Other polishes can be used on your hexy burner as fuel, so it's worth bearing that in mind when you see tins of cheap polish in the pound shop.

Also, it's worth noting that today's Kiwi isn't the same thing as yester-year's Kiwi. I don't know the chemical recipie that makes it, but I do know that you used to be able to clean out an old tin with just a squirt of WD40 and a wipe with rag. Now that doesn't work and it's the devil of a job to clean out an empty tin. At some time, and at some change of manufacturer, the forumula has changed.

And while we're at it don't go believing this guff about the polish giving the leather some sort of "nourishment". It seals the leather more than feeds it. The "nourishment" comes from foot perspiration and the brushing action working the leather. If you want something to soak deep into the leather to nourish it and help make it soft and supple, then use Neatsfoot oil instead. But don't ask me to explain neatsfoot oil to you, do your homework and look it up on Wiki.

Quite frankly, this Kiwi obsession is an example of this country's demise. Instead of blindly using this foreign import, WE should have delevoped the definitive polish and set the example for the world to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kiwi is made in Indonesia now according to the info on the tin.

10. It could be made on the moon using fairy wings.

It's not like I need a tin.

• Like Like x 7
  11. The manufacturer switched to the same formula as the much-maligned 'Cherry Blossom' some years ago.

12. Lies it's all lies. Wicked man.

13. True dit. They didn't tell you about it?

When Sara Lee owned both brands they decided to rationalise production.

14. "Oh, I'm alright Jack"

15. I clicked on this as I thought an outrage bus was due regarding the Polish. I am outraged to find it is a wanky thread about polishing shoes. It is a slow Sunday.

Sent from ma hoose.

• Like Like x 1