Polish tourist killed by urinating on 750-volt electric rail

A tourist who relieved himself over a live railway line at a south London station was electrocuted.

The Polish man died when an electric current connected with urine which had splashed on to the 750-volt line.

It is thought the married 41-year-old teacher was on a trip to London to improve his English.

Workers found his body slumped over a track at Vauxhall station after he was seen by staff at the station.

They had earlier spotted him on CCTV screens walking into a recess area but failing to reappear.

Rail workers fear the victim may not have known that some tracks in Britain are electrified.

It took police a week to identify the victim after the tragedy, which happened at around 5pm.

A source said: 'Perhaps because he was from Poland he had no idea the rail was electrified. His family back home is heartbroken.'

The station has no toilets, but there are public toilets nearby.
Shame he didn't come here to improve his cicvic responsibilities he would have learnt a valuable lesson! Is there any chance that the various councils in Britain can instal electric rails in public lifts and bus stops?

BPS666 said:
A tourist who relieved himself over a live railway line at a south London station was electrocuted.

The Polish man died when an electric current connected with urine which had splashed on to the 750-volt line.

It is thought the married 41-year-old teacher was on a trip to London to improve his English.

Workers found his body slumped over a track at Vauxhall station after he was seen by staff at the station.

They had earlier spotted him on CCTV screens walking into a recess area but failing to reappear.

Rail workers fear the victim may not have known that some tracks in Britain are electrified.

It took police a week to identify the victim after the tragedy, which happened at around 5pm.

A source said: 'Perhaps because he was from Poland he had no idea the rail was electrified. His family back home is heartbroken.'

Shame he didn't come here to improve his cicvic responsibilities he would have learnt a valuable lesson! Is there any chance that the various councils in Britain can instal electric rails in public lifts and bus stops?
Shame the station didn't have basic amenities.

This sort of thing usually happens to tramps which is why it doesn't make the news, but it is a fairly common occurrence.

frenchie said:
absolutely. It annoys me to see and smell pi$$ everywhere around town, and to see people doing it.

But it grips my $hit even more that there aren't any facilities anywhere. I've been caught short from time to time and I believe its a basic right to fulfill a basic human need.

BPS666 said:

Shame he didn't wait until he could read the signs first.

bensonby said:
frenchie said:
absolutely. It annoys me to see and smell pi$$ everywhere around town, and to see people doing it.

But it grips my $hit even more that there aren't any facilities anywhere. I've been caught short from time to time and I believe its a basic right to fulfill a basic human need.
Go into any pub and ask at the bar if you could use their gents.

Job jobbed.

msr

or scores of dead sports fans.

As well intentioned as it was, I do believe THIS# law probably helped to sound the death knell for public lavatories...

bensonby said:
As well intentioned as it was, I do believe THIS# law probably helped to sound the death knell for public lavatories...
What killed off public lavatories was the number of public spirited citizens who spent all their (often considerable) free time in them, attempting to assist those who went in to use them.

rockpile said:
This sort of thing usually happens to tramps which is why it doesn't make the news, but it is a fairly common occurrence.
Whilst on a job observing the British Transport Police we witnessed the recovery of a dead gentleman of the road who had obviously been caught short near the 3rd rail at Paddington. His knob was carbon.

No references to fellatio please.

bigeye said:
rockpile said:
Whilst on a job observing the British Transport Police we witnessed the recovery of a dead gentleman of the road who had obviously been caught short near the 3rd rail at Paddington. His knob was carbon.

No references to fellatio please.
One of the less inspiring parts of my career was with the BTP, which is how I know about this sort of thing.

Simple answer here - If you need a piss, hold it until you reach a toilet. If you can't find one, by all means take a chance and have a crafty piss somewhere, but don't do it anywhere near anything remotely electrical.

This land has no chance of reverting to it's oft-quoted Green and Pleasant status if we continue to allow people to treat it like a sewer.

frenchie said:
Lavatory guidance from a Frenchman? We truly have reached a new low :wink: