Polish serving in the Army?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Let us not forget that the Poles served with distinction in our forces in WW2.

BTW, is there still a Polish Army SOP for attacking a tank with a cavalry sabre?

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)
  2. Let them join (polish people ),Give them a chance like everyone else.
  3. I thought they already were? In my (late) coprs we had Nowashelski, Sobotnicki, Skibinski (the smiling assasin) and a bloke who rose to be RSM who used to appear on daily detail as Cpl Magic because his name Macjyrak couldn't be spelt...and Ive spelt it wrong too. The Glasgow Polish were rife inthe KOSB, I remember one of our girls marrying a Yankevich...good rugby player too!!
  4. If people fit the legal criteria they can join the Armed Forces, that should NOT be changed as a quick fix.

I served over the years with Irish, Italian, Spanish, Fijian, West Indian, Polish (in an Irish Regiment!), German, French, South African, Canadian, Dutch, Indian, Malaysian and God knows how many other descents/nationalities. All were BRITISH soldiers, and generally as good as any other. Where does anyone see the problem?

Single nationality/race/religious regiments or units are a total no-no, as was the idea recently of a Sikh regiment, which was rightly howled down here on Arrse. But remember, for God's sake, we're short of manpower, every unit in the Army is under manned, so if a potential recruit fits the criteria for joining we should be welcoming him/her with open arms!!!!

Hat, Coat, Taxi!!!!
  5. Thank goodness the Gurkhas let others in, and of course Gurkhas are free to enlist in any regiment and get equal pay and pensions now.
  6. There is a precedent for Polish nationals serving in HMF.

After WW2 an admittedly small number of Poles were allowed to join the RN and RAF on Regular Commissions. I know that one of them, a DSC winner, reached the rank of Rear Admiral before retiring.

I think a few of the RAF bods reached Gp Capt before retiring too.
  7. All for it, provided their command of the English language is squared away.

I worked with some Polish lads a couple of years back, I can't sing their praises highly enough, slick, switched on, and bloody fearless.
    They put most of the British lads I was working with to shame (me included).

And (generally) being Slavs they have that good looking high cheek bone thing going on.
  8. Their can't be two of them! :D Top bloke Mag, spent many a night on the urine with him, trying to stop him removing clothing.............His or any chick that was daft enough to talk to him!
  9. I knew 2 Polish officers of WWII origin in the RAF many years ago. Very amusing characters they were too. There is also at least one serving soldier in the British Army who was born in Russia, unthinkable 20 years ago.
  10. Does a Kiwi who is serving in the British Army count as Polish? :D
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dross posts removed.
  12. got there before me Legs :lol:
  13. What exactly is dross about asking why the British army needs to recruit foriegners?
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've got a lot of time for the Polaks. They are nice people and a bit feisty when it comes to armed action.

They fought valiantly alongside the British in WW2, and provided some of the very bravest pilots (some might say suicidal) during the war.

I say let them join, and if they want citizenship, leave it open to them.