Polish sappers in Italy 1944

no_idea

War Hero
Any idea what these Polish sappers are doing? Yes, it's a bridge over a big ravine but what's the large weight doing on the left?

Looks rather perilous, would this have been SOP?

sappers.jpg

Counterbalance as it's being pushed out to stop the river plummet?

I can see the landing nose of the Bailey on the right , counter- balance is possible. At a guess, there is a restricted area out of view ( left ) so they can't counterbalance the usual way.

Bailey - the bridge of the free world.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
"When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?"

Fat POM

War Hero
Must be a large gap with restricted building area to the rear therefore a counterbalance equivalent to the weight of the span required.

I have just returned from a long afternoon with friends, in a bar, I may have to review this response in the sober light of day.

I read that as Polish slappers. This thread isn't what I'd hoped it would be.

Any idea what these Polish sappers are doing? Yes, it's a bridge over a big ravine but what's the large weight doing on the left?

Looks rather perilous, would this have been SOP?

View attachment 631011

There were a hell of a lot built in Italy many of which became notable individually.*

I'm guessing but there was one built at 90° due to the restricted space in the home bank and this looks like a solution to that.
As the build is boomed forward it relies on the mass of the bridge on the home bank counterbalancing it until the launch nose lands on the opposite side.

I could be wrong, but wondering whether this could be *ASAMFU Bridge which was built from both ends - couldn't connect in middle due to A Systematic And Military **** Up

Fat POM

War Hero
Perilous!
This is perilous 'Amazon Bridge' 59 Fd Coy Xing River Rapido under fire.
(spare panels and a D4 used as counter balance)
View attachment 631169
If that is bridging the Rapido at Monte Cassino, which I believe it is, then I believe that is 7 Field Company RE

Edited to add: +59 Coy and 225 Coy building 80 foot Bailey. D4 used for booming and decking as counterweight.

Last edited:
If that is bridging the Rapido at Monte Cassino, which I believe it is, then I believe that is 7 Field Company RE

Edited to add: +59 Coy and 225 Coy building 80 foot Bailey. D4 used for booming and decking as counterweight.

Had forgotten which other elements had been involved as well as 59 or the casualties... Hurrah etc.

For the non R.E. - the build progressed after a small party went over on the launch nose and cleared some German MG position. So many were injured there were not enough to boom it forward. ISTR the D4 may have been hit too and a Sherman had to be used.