POLISH 2ND ARMY

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RADAR752, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`m trying to trace the military record of my ex-father in law.

He was Ukrainian, but I believe he served in the 2nd Polish Army Corps at Monte Cassino in Italy.

I`ve tried searching several sites on the internet, but does anyone know where I could find the nominal rolls of the 2 PAC.

I`m also interested in the fact that being an Ukraniaan in the 2 PAC may have been unusual , or not ?

Any help appreciated.

Also not forgetting the support that the Poles gave the UK during the UK (trying to rebuff the stoopid post --Point at Polish in the Naffi bar)

2. Sikorski Institute

20 Princes Gate
    LONDON SW7 1PT
    Phone: 0044 (0) 20 7589 9249

Main contact is Krzysztof Barbarski, Vice Chairman & Hon Curator
    Keeper of Archives : Capt Waclaw Milewski
    Assistant Keeper of Archives : Mr Andrzej Suchcitz

Opening times:
    Secretariat Monday-Friday 10.00-16.00
    Archives Tuesday-Friday 9.30-16.00
    Museum Monday-Friday 14.00-16.00 and first Saturday of the month 10.00-16.00

Always telephone/write in advance if you intend to visit. Their records/collection is incredible, and they will probably be able to point you in the right direction with your research. Also, remember to take lunch with you!

Polish Army in Exile Records-British Ministry of Defense
    APC Polish Enquiries

Building 28B
    RAF Northolt
    Westend Road
    Rusilip
    Middlesex
    HA4 6NG
    England
    Phone: (44) 0208-833860

Good luck!

3. Thanks both.

I`ll start digging.

4. Don't forget that part of what is now Western Ukraine was once part of Poland from 1919 - 1945.

If you have any of his papers with his Army No and unit details, the Ruislip address would be your best bet. I used to deal with their predecessors when they were at Hayes, searching the records to establish Polish ex-Servicemens' entitlement to British war medals.

If the old boys had earned them, they were presented, and the recipients were then entitled to a State pension from the Polish govt.

A sad aside to that was the occasional repatriation of personal effects. Still sealed in their official WW2 envelopes, we (at the Embassy in Warsaw) had to open them to check that there were no "embarrassing" (photos/letters) contents before forwarding to the family. The saddest objects were often the broken wrist watches, usually stopped at the time of death...