Polio Detected in London Sewage

rmn

LE
Yeah, it probably doesn't take that into account, so there's nothing to worry about then - phew, there was me thinking how under resourced we were, how busy everywhere seems, how crowded and ghettoed the cities are now, how the population of the World's population has doubled in my lifetime, and unfettered immigration to the UK since the 90's, legal and illegal, but it was nothing but my imagination and possibly people legally visiting our little country for their annuals.
I'm not denying there has been a significant increase in the population of the UK. I am questioning the basis for figures being banded about regarding "illegal" immigrants.

D

Deleted 184863

If you add the ever growing amount of 'anti-vaxxers' into the mix, perhaps not now, but a little further down the line and then your herd immunity gets compromised.

Import the 3rd world, become the 3rd world.
I'm quite glad I'm the age I am, I don't want to see how shit it will be in another 40 years.
The vast majority of "anti-vaxxers" are anti- a particular vax (esp. Covid). The MSM likes to conflate anyone anti- a particular vax to being anti- scientific in general.
I had two needles shoved in one arm, one in the other, and two sets of oral pills handed to me on GW1 deployment. I had no problem with those.
Covid Vax? FYATHYRIO

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 184863

I'm not denying there has been a significant increase in the population of the UK. I am questioning the basis for figures being banded about regarding "illegal" immigrants.
The simple fact is, as you must have noticed from many statistics, is that governments only measure the things that will show them or their policies in a good light. They simply refuse to measure the "other" stats. I can provide copious examples.
Of course, the same applies to their opponents.
I recently met, waiting outside an airport, a professor of statistics. I asked her, in a neutral manner, about the Covid statistics.
"It's all b#llocks"
was her reply.
And I live somewhere where, until then, I haven't heard a woman swear in over a decade.

Greater London's official population is 8 million. My bet is the real population is more like 9.5 mill.

Slightly off topic but relevant to it, weren't the 2021 Census results supposed to be released last week? Don't recall seeing them in the meeja.
'Phase one begins with the first results, which will be published on Tuesday 28 June 2022. These are estimates of the number of people and households in England and Wales. They will show the number of people by sex and age at local authority level.

Topic summaries include sets of data, or datasets, most of which include data from a single variable. A variable is a particular characteristic of a person or household, for example, religion or accommodation type.

These topic summaries will include:
  • demography and migration
  • ethnicity, identity, language and religion
  • health
  • housing
  • work and travel
  • sexual orientation and gender identity
  • education
  • UK armed forces veterans'
Accuracy of result: Approach and processes for assuring the quality of the 2021 Census data - Office for National Statistics

D

Deleted 184863

I made a similar comment in one of the broadsheet newspaper comment columns and was warned for 'racism'.
If that's not an indication of the depth to which the national conversation has sunk to, I'm a disease-riddled turd.
The time for arguing with either the politicians or the media has passed.
They are not interested in a scientific argument, they want a debate.
The difference is that a scientific argument requires you to present your best, most relevant evidence at all times, rather than only the evidence that supports your viewpoint. One is required to answer questions, honestly, not divert away from the ones one doesn't like. And, crucially, a scientific argument presumes one will change one's viewpoint when presented with better evidence.

crucially, a scientific argument presumes one will change one's viewpoint when presented with better evidence.
That's not the House Viewpoint at the Guardian, latterly the Times, or, sadly, New Scientist in recent years.
I've never really been a Conspiracy Loon, but I sometimes wonder...

Maybe the dezinformatsia has been astonishingly successful. It's horribly possible.

D

Deleted 184863

'Phase one begins with the first results, which will be published on Tuesday 28 June 2022. These are estimates of the number of people and households in England and Wales. They will show the number of people by sex and age at local authority level.

Topic summaries include sets of data, or datasets, most of which include data from a single variable. A variable is a particular characteristic of a person or household, for example, religion or accommodation type.

These topic summaries will include:
  • demography and migration
  • ethnicity, identity, language and religion
  • health
  • housing
  • work and travel
  • sexual orientation and gender identity
  • education
  • UK armed forces veterans'
Accuracy of result: Approach and processes for assuring the quality of the 2021 Census data - Office for National Statistics
I no longer live in the UK.
But my local, surprisingly detailed, census includes the following:
Everyone speaks one of the three main national languages in public. The rogue language spoken at home, by one family only, is Polish.
The major ethnic descents are Scottish, English, French, Mi'kmaq, Dutch, Welsh, and Polish.
Nobody has a social science degree (yay!). The degrees held are Engineering, Business, and Education, in that order.
We have, as best as I can gather, no crime.
No, really, not one.
Religion is very diverse. When I arrived here, I passed 11 churches before I found a repeat. Nobody talks about religion.
Nobody talks about sex either.
In the last 5 years, there have been no suicides. This may extend back forever. So, maybe the unacknowledged are unhappy, but they ain't topping themselves.
I am the UK Armed Forces Veteran ;) I am referred to locally as "Our military man". I joke that my only skill is shooting down the Russian Air Force. Recently, people have started to respond "That could come in handy again"

D

Deleted 184863

That's not the House Viewpoint at the Guardian, latterly the Times, or, sadly, New Scientist in recent years.
I've never really been a Conspiracy Loon, but I sometimes wonder...

Maybe the dezinformatsia has been astonishingly successful. It's horribly possible.
Very pertinent examples. I used to encourage my students to subscribe to the New Scientist, but that changed a couple of decades ago.
Most people will follow the popular view.
I have the excruciatingly annoying habit of being right.
That generates huge amounts of resentment in the majority, and a frankly uncomfortable amount of belief in most of the rest.
I expect to have my views and evidence challenged. It is deeply concerning both when it isn't, and when it is by bad arguments.

Yes, in one of the early links. But would Polio from one post innoc dump be detected? How much of it is floating around?

Either the sewage testers are extremely lucky on their samples or there is significantly more contaminated poo floating about than expected from a few newly vaccinated people.

The official line.

No cases of paralysis reported, but no mention of other symptoms.
Communities are being investigated to find source.

image9-e1445421412475.jpeg

Nigerian Polio sufferers.
That's what happens when you stop vaccinating...

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I no longer live in the UK.
But my local, surprisingly detailed, census includes the following:
Everyone speaks one of the three main national languages in public. The rogue language spoken at home, by one family only, is Polish.
The major ethnic descents are Scottish, English, French, Mi'kmaq, Dutch, Welsh, and Polish.
Nobody has a social science degree (yay!). The degrees held are Engineering, Business, and Education, in that order.
We have, as best as I can gather, no crime.
No, really, not one.
Religion is very diverse. When I arrived here, I passed 11 churches before I found a repeat. Nobody talks about religion.
Nobody talks about sex either.
In the last 5 years, there have been no suicides. This may extend back forever. So, maybe the unacknowledged are unhappy, but they ain't topping themselves.
I am the UK Armed Forces Veteran ;) I am referred to locally as "Our military man". I joke that my only skill is shooting down the Russian Air Force. Recently, people have started to respond "That could come in handy again"
Isle of Man?

Greater London's official population is 8 million. My bet is the real population is more like 9.5 mill.

Slightly off topic but relevant to it, weren't the 2021 Census results supposed to be released last week? Don't recall seeing them in the meeja.

By-elections due today. Obviously that is a coincidence and has n-o-t-h--i-n-g to do with, honest, guv, cross my heart.

Ritch

LE

End of June. 29th if I remember right.

TractorStats

Old-Salt
I saw it on another thread, but it was in 2007. The supermarkets then said that the real population based on analysis of food purchase and likely wastage, was 77 million. When the "official" was 62 mill. So that's 15 million higher than the official number!

And that's 2007, so what it'd be now fifteen years later beggars the mind.
I can well imagine we have a permanent official population of 67 million now plus an assorted 10 million illegal but permanent residents plus a lot of 'friends and relatives' staying in the UK for six months at a time plus 'students'.

Not so much illegal immigration. They stopped, for example, the TB (BCG) vaccine in UK in 2005 but continued to give it to those schoolkids mainly from the sub continent as it is still rife there. These people are legal in UK and joining families already here. They also give it to those who live in areas where there is a high incidence and I'll leave you to guess where those areas are.

Unlike some countries, UK doesn't have a health test requirement to show you are disease free if joining families. US has quite a stringent health test to enter for those going to live there or who are refugees and includes a TB test.
We request evidence of a TB for those entering the UK from relevant areas - but not if those are ‘European’.

So for example if you are Indian and travelling from the sub-continent then TB test please.
If you are Indian, have just received a shiny new Portuguese passport from their embassy (because there are over 1million such entitled people, mostly around Goa and Damien Diu) and fly into Gatwick then you don’t have to bother - or didn‘t used to (it would have been unlawful to do so).

It would probably lead to massive legal action if a BF officer starts demanding TB tests from dusky coloured travellers with EEA passports but not pasty skinned ones - and the EEA would have a massive hissy fit if we started demanding it of all their citizens.

Not about the rest of Europe but there are ALOT of Indians and Pakistanis (other ethnicities too but these spring to mind as regions where TB is a problem) in Spain and Italy, plus I am sure other European countries too.

I am not sure how EEA countries do their TB vaccinations - or if you move from India to Italy aged 22 and never had a TB jab. Go in with a nice TB test cert. Get your Italian passport after 5 years there or marrying a local, go back home on holiday, guess the rest...

The following video is worth watching for those who want a good explanation of what the detection of polio in London sewage means. The people in this video area actual virus scientists and so can be trusted to know what they're talking about. The relevant part is from 6:22 to 22:00. The video should start at the beginning of the relevant conversation.

If you want the short version, there are two main types of polio vaccine in the world. There is an oral vaccine and an injectable vaccine. The UK used to use the oral vaccine but currently only uses the injectable vaccine. The oral vaccine is still given in many parts of the world because it is easy to administer.

The oral vaccine is an attenuated virus. It will revert to an active form after being in your gut for a while. People who have had a recent oral vaccine will shed live and active virus in their feces while they themselves are immune due to the vaccine. This is called a vaccine derived virus. This virus can spread to other people.

If everyone is vaccinated against polio, this isn't a problem. The problem is when there are people who have recently (although "recent" can be a considerable period of time) had the oral vaccine come in contact with people who haven't been vaccinated at all. In certain parts of London vaccination rates of residents has fallen to concerningly low levels.

At present it isn't known if polio is spreading from person to person in London, but there are reasons to suspect that it might be. There is no reason to believe the problem is connected with illegal immigration as opposed to legal residents who haven't been vaccinated coming into contact with legal visitors coming from parts of the world where they use the oral vaccine.

The one and only solution is for everyone in the UK who hasn't had their polio jab to get jabbed.

Latest Threads