Policing in Northern Ireland wobbling again.

This appeared in a group I am in with several retired cops earlier -

And it came to pass that the Philistines took to the streets and smashed the graven images. And the polis said to their leaders, Let Us Go Amongst Them and Give Them the Jail. But the leaders said No, Rock Not the Boat.

And the word went out to bring back the retired officers of long ago who gave not a **** about the polis leaders.

And the word went out to search high and low among the pubs and the booling clubs, to leave their Tesco shopping trolleys and get back into uniform whence they had come, for the young polis said unto them, We Have Listened to Your Shite About What You Would Have Done 30 Years Ago, Now Put Up or Shut Up.

And they gathered together, the lame and the blind and the halt, the sore of back and the gammy of leg, and went to sort out the Philistines.

And the Philistines laughed when saw their white hair, crying out **** Off You Old Bastards. And the old bastards drew their sticks and delivered the Philistines a series of dull wans which made them run like ****, and there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land of the Philistines for most of them got the jail and were seen not again.

And the young polis said among themselves, These Guys Are Truly The Dogs Balls and they too gave the Philistines a severe doing.

And the old polis went back to their booling clubs, armed with more good stories to bore the arse off everyone, and all lived happily ever after.

Except the Philistines of course.
I’ve heard similar from “oul hands” as to how we should be doing things. I’ve responded that regardless of how long ago they policed, had they the same management then that we have now they’d be cracking on exactly the same way the current peelers are. Ironically those senior management making the big decisions are, in the main, former RUC peers and colleagues of the old farts doing all the gurning about “new breed peelers”. We’re getting enough guff from all sides at present so not really inclined to take condescension from some piss stained oul fella who spent the bulk of his 30 years scratching about in Bangor enquiry office. Or indeed warming his Bushmills soaked arse in a comms room for most of his career thanks all the same. All the while claiming a good wedge from built in OT, housing allowance, compensatory grant etc.

:D

It’s not all standing and taking a pasting. Occasionally over the weekend there’s been the odd Bronze commander who’s let the TSG get on with their job

I’ve heard similar from “oul hands” as to how we should be doing things. I’ve responded that regardless of how long ago they policed, had they the same management then that we have now they’d be cracking on exactly the same way the current peelers are. Ironically those senior management making the big decisions are, in the main, former RUC peers and colleagues of the old farts doing all the gurning about “new breed peelers”. We’re getting enough guff from all sides at present so not really inclined to take condescension from some piss stained oul fella who spent the bulk of his 30 years scratching about in Bangor enquiry office. Or indeed warming his Bushmills soaked arse in a comms room for most of his career thanks all the same. All the while claiming a good wedge from built in OT, housing allowance, compensatory grant etc.

I can imagine! To be fair to the guys in the group where I got this they all spent most of their careers in MSU/TSG and some of it in COTT.

I can imagine! To be fair to the guys in the group where I got this they all spent most of their careers in MSU/TSG and some of it in COTT.
MSU/TSG fair enough. Downright refuse to take stick from COT trainers mind. Those who can do and all that. :D

Trouble at Cloughfern roundabout, Newtonabbey again tonight. Trouble also in Larne. Think it's been low level at the minute.

More worrying.. New Lodge are trying to go at it with the peelers on North Queen Street, which is on an interface.
Seems to be the Loyalists in Tigers Bay have so far dissuaded anyone on their side from getting involved and are being proactive on the Unionist side of the peaceline, in keeping people away from the interface.

It’s not all standing and taking a pasting. Occasionally over the weekend there’s been the odd Bronze commander who’s let the TSG get on with their job
Genuine question as someone who has been away for some time, what is the policy on baton round use? Has it simply been dropped? In the second video where the yoots get within petrol-bomb throwing range of the peelers with the shields there isn't the slightest doubt that 30-odd years ago the wee spides would have received the good news from the Federals.

1617763890375.png

Go old school on them. You can't teach that. ;)

Are they RIC or USC? WW1 SMLE.
I was wondering the same thing, I would have said USC but I don't think (happy to be corrected) they wore the regular collar and tie uniform, I think they were still ex-army high collar uniforms by the time they were disbanded.

ETA: Looking at their age and the building behind them I am going to guess some sort of drill or passing out parade in Enniskillen.

I could sort-of sympathise with the idea of accepting an equal percentage of applicants from each 'community', but 50:50 regardless of the number of applicants is daft.

What more can be done about boosting the level of interest in a PSNI career amongst Catholics/republicans?
Create an all Ireland Police Force.

Saw a good one, Arlene is calling on the PSNI Chief to resign ... but not the heads of the UDA, LVF etc

Mike Nesbitt (UUP) was on RTE Radio yesterday calling on the Loyalist Communities Council to call out the violence

Create an all Ireland Police Force.
Nothing to stop people from ROI joining PSNI

there is an exchange programme between PSNI and Gardai (not that used)

the current Gardai Commissioner is former PSNI
I would say that was the thinking among the suits in Whitehall and Dublin. PSNI easily changed to PSI. Former RUC/PSNI officer as commissioner of the garda. Though they did need an outsider in to clean it up. One of the most corrupt forces this side of equatorial Africa. ;)

Genuine question as someone who has been away for some time, what is the policy on baton round use? Has it simply been dropped? In the second video where the yoots get within petrol-bomb throwing range of the peelers with the shields there isn't the slightest doubt that 30-odd years ago the wee spides would have received the good news from the Federals.
Most simple explanation is that there are effectively three authorisations. All of which require relevant “permission” from senior management (Superintendent and above, depending on which authorisation). 1. Carriage, allowing them to be signed out and carried in vehicle lock box. 2. Deployment, allowing the user to kit up and carry it. 3. Use. Steps 1 and 2 can/are given fairly easily if the circumstances allow. Option 3 is much harder to get authority for. There needs to be a serious and immediate risk of injury. Even then senior commanders will try and exhaust any other avenues, such as deployment of additional resources, extracting officers etc before they’ll authorise its use. Last rounds fired I believe were just under Derry’s walls about 2-3 years ago. The Twitter footage i posted of the unit advancing, to be honest because they’ve the scrotes on the back foot and on the run, authorisation would be unlikely there. I’d imagine had they been stood static and receiving that level of violence AND they’d no other tactical options (including extracting from area) then it’s possible use if AEP may have been given.

JCC

LE
Most simple explanation is that there are effectively three authorisations. All of which require relevant “permission” from senior management (Superintendent and above, depending on which authorisation). 1. Carriage, allowing them to be signed out and carried in vehicle lock box. 2. Deployment, allowing the user to kit up and carry it. 3. Use. Steps 1 and 2 can/are given fairly easily if the circumstances allow. Option 3 is much harder to get authority for. There needs to be a serious and immediate risk of injury. Even then senior commanders will try and exhaust any other avenues, such as deployment of additional resources, extracting officers etc before they’ll authorise its use. Last rounds fired I believe were just under Derry’s walls about 2-3 years ago. The Twitter footage i posted of the unit advancing, to be honest because they’ve the scrotes on the back foot and on the run, authorisation would be unlikely there. I’d imagine had they been stood static and receiving that level of violence AND they’d no other tactical options (including extracting from area) then it’s possible use if AEP may have been given.
So if I understand you correctly PSNI policy if attacked by a hostile crowd is to a) take casualties then b) withdraw if the crowd continue to attack?

I was wondering the same thing, I would have said USC but I don't think (happy to be corrected) they wore the regular collar and tie uniform, I think they were still ex-army high collar uniforms by the time they were disbanded.

ETA: Looking at their age and the building behind them I am going to guess some sort of drill or passing out parade in Enniskillen.
Certainly looks like the Depot buildings.

Latest Threads