Policing in Northern Ireland wobbling again.

Donald Sindens character, Mallinson, in "The Day of The Jackal" replying to his wife asking who (Caron, Lebels deputy) had called him at 0400?

[Harumph]"The Old Boy Network"[/Harumph]
Also known as liaison.

works in every environment. Build a working relationship. Help each other out when you need to.

Looks like an officer had a lucky escape Dungiven: Fireball bomb bid to kill police officer and daughter

however why would you live in Dungiven if you worked for PSNI.
Because Bangor already has its full quota of peelers living there? I’d guess that’s where she’s from. Born and bred most likely. Her family, friends and home place is there? Throughout the worst of the troubles police, UDR, security force contractors and prison officers lived in some dangerous places for much the same reasons. In my former life as a young squaddy my parents lived in what would have been classed as a relatively “safe” area. Saying that, west Belfast was less than a 5 minute drive away. Where I currently live would also be classed as reasonably ok for serving or former security forces but again probably less than 5 minutes by car or motorbike in a number of directions would take you into some ropey territory

Its out in the country which tends not to be so Orange/Green. That said I'd tend to put money on her being someting other than PUL.

D.R.s have form for targetting catholic officers. Ronan Kerr, Peadar Heffron, Stephen Carrol for example.

Its out in the country which tends not to be so Orange/Green. That said I'd tend to put money on her being someting other than PUL.
Dungiven.. I'd feel absolutely confident that she was a Catholic.

BBC News
There has been an arson attack on the home of a serving police officer in Larne, County Antrim.
Three cars parked in the driveway of the property were set on fire on Thursday morning.
Police are investigating a motive for the attack.
The involvement of loyalist paramilitary group the South East Antrim UDA (Ulster Defence Association) is a understood to be a strong line of inquiry for the police.

BBC News
There has been an arson attack on the home of a serving police officer in Larne, County Antrim.
Three cars parked in the driveway of the property were set on fire on Thursday morning.
Police are investigating a motive for the attack.
The involvement of loyalist paramilitary group the South East Antrim UDA (Ulster Defence Association) is a understood to be a strong line of inquiry for the police.

The yins in Larne are awfully fond of setting fire to cars and houses, and not just paramilitaries are doing it. There have been several long-running family feuds in the area, too.

Carbon 6

War Hero
Yeah being a local (ish) doesnt offer any protection

As I found out in 1985 when I drove past an 11th night bonfire close to home and had my car half wrecked by flying bricks and metal missiles. Several of the morons knew me and actually waved as I accelerated away!

Last edited:
As I found out in 1985 when I drove past an 11th night bonfire close to home and had my car half wrecked by flying bricks and metal missiles. Several of the morons actually waved at me as I accelerated away!
I borrowed my dads Sierra many years ago and had the same treatment as it looked like a cop car at night...