Policing in Northern Ireland wobbling again.

Wasn't there also a baton round,made of wood?

Are you maybe thinking of the baton itself? Used to be wood.

58456.jpg

Jammy66

War Hero
Already been a statement put out to stop any protests as a mark of respect.

Security alert in Alliance Avenue, which is on the peaceline at Ardoyne.. looks like a beer keg or gas cylinder with wires connected covered in a sheet of Black plastic.

I posted my comment as a joke. The fact that the Loyalist terrorists actually stood down as a 'mark of respect' is hilarious!

I posted my comment as a joke. The fact that the Loyalist terrorists actually stood down as a 'mark of respect' is hilarious!

PSNI have already ruled out paramilitary involvement in the latest goings-on. Get back to grinding your axe.

From top to bottom

Rubber bullet - replaced in 73 by,
Plastic bullet (although for some reason this one is black) replaced in 03, 04? by
Attenuating Energy Projectile

View attachment 564173

The AEP is much lighter and travels at twice the speed of the old baton round, which combined with the 'new' baton gun makes them much more accurate.

They are supposed to hit the target with the same impact but spides that have been shot with both tell me it doesn't.

The front of the AEP is hollow which makes it much less likely to penetrate if it hits something hard. That means it is safer to use at closer ranges. Minimum range with AEP is 1m.
Every house in Derry had one of the old black rubber bullets on the mantle piece or a cabinet in the 1970s. A friend had quite a collection and a few spent CS gas canisters which if you inhaled at deeply you could still get the tang of what smelt like very strong bleach to me (perhaps his ma washed it before she put in on the shelf).

The middle ones were in my memory a dark orange colour. I remember the morning after the Drumcree '96 riots in Derry the only thing stopping me lifting a hundred or so from a car park in William Street was the lack of pockets to carry them in. I was handing them out along with the casings to friends for weeks after, the ones I kept have long since crumbled away. Still have the casings though.

1618109714179.png

ETA: Curiosity got me to looking up the "L5A5" designation and I came across this interesting document. This snippet jumped out:

Year: 1994 1995 1996 1997
Baton Rounds Discharged: 214 273 6,949 2,527

My memory wasn't playing tricks about 1996.

Last edited:
Drumcree '96 riots in Derry.
Were these the ones that Sinn Fein were stirring up about the Orange order marches being truimphalist and oppressive to catholics, while at the same time not far away In Donegel the Orange order was having a big march and being cheered on by their catholic neighbours with no problems and this had been the case since 1922?

Last edited:
Put it this way..If the UVF or UDA was actually involved on the Shankill or Tigers Bay interfaces in the last few nights, the trouble would've been tenfold worse. It was largely kids in every video the past week clashing with the peelers.

Put it this way..If the UVF or UDA was actually involved on the Shankill or Tigers Bay interfaces in the last few nights, the trouble would've been tenfold worse. It was largely kids in every video the past week clashing with the peelers.

The same PSNI that declared Bobbie Storie's funeral to be fine and dandy?

Paramilitaries not involved? That's like saying South American cartels don't sell cocaine in London.

Getting very ugly.

'The South East Antrim UDA is using Catholic drug dealers linked to a woman jailed for killing one of its teenage members to flood nationalist areas of Belfast with cocaine.

'The unlikely relationship between the gang and dealers Gary McKeown (34) and a 39-year-old close associate is causing huge tension in loyalist circles.

'McKeown is the son of Alison McKeown, who was caged for two years for the manslaughter of junior South East Antrim UDA member Thomas McDonald.'

'The UVF has ordered the removal of Catholic families from a housing estate in Carrickfergus in what has been termed a "form of 21st century ethnic cleansing".

'The terror gang was behind attacks on three homes in the Woodburn estate in which they believed Catholics have been staying. Sources say the attacks were based purely on rumours about the occupants or people linked to them.

'Windows at properties on Cherry Walk and Glenfield Walk were smashed late last Wednesday night. The home of a pensioner on Pinewood Avenue, who only moved into the bungalow last month, was also targeted. Some of the occupants are understood to have since fled the area.'

'Special forces soldiers have been deployed undercover in Northern Ireland.

'At least eight of the covert unit have been sent to work with MI5 for the first time in four years as protests and violence escalate.

'The move follows clashes in which dozens of officers were injured as stones, petrol bombs and fireworks were hurled by gangs of youths on Belfast’s nationalist Springfield Road.

'MI5 and military intelligence officials fear that the riots, which have spread across the country, could spark a return of deadly paramilitary attacks.

'A Special Reconnaissance Regiment team will help co-ordinate intelligence operations and attempt to identify the ringleaders behind the violence.'

Last edited:
That's an ongoing thing though, not related to Brexit/Storey "protests". It's what the scum call "housekeeping" and goes on pretty much all the time, particularly when the weather warms up a bit. (really!)

No, a different one. Whatever, they probably have more intel than me, and definitely are in a better position to make that judgement than you.
As the First Minister has called on the Chief Constable to resign I would not place any confidence on anything that comes out of 65 Knock Rd at the moment

Did they? PPS decided not to proceed I thought. By you logic throwing statues in rivers is 100% kosher.
That was the decision not to prosecute the 24 for individual potential offences. Their prior discussions with Sinn Fein facilitated a Provisional IRA show of strength on the day.

What is your point regarding the statue?

That was the decision not to prosecute the 24 for individual potential offences. Their prior discussions with Sinn Fein facilitated a Provisional IRA show of strength on the day.

What is your point regarding the statue?
Was throwing the statue in the river lawful? It must have been becasue the Police did not interfere.
Was having a large funeral lawful. It must have been because the Police did not interfere.

Police have power of discretion over what actions they take where a crime is committed as was unfortunately demonstrated - rightly or wrongly - in the two cases. That they didn't take immediate (or any) action doesn't render the act lawful - claiming to the contrary smacks a bit of deliberate idiocy.

Latest Threads