Policing in Northern Ireland wobbling again.

They REALLY don't like those. Cue Republican compo faces on Facebook and TV.

The "two communities" (God I hate that phrase) going hammer and tongs at each other has to be the big worry. Burning your neighbours' cars in Cloughfern or Shantallow is bad enough but at the end of the day easily containable within their respective areas, but if one of those Belfast interfaces kicks off badly and some wee shite, er, misguided youth is killed, with the young martyr's funeral to follow, we could have a very ugly summer ahead of us.
I think this may be like BLM. People letting off steam because they’re tired of lockdown.

I think this may be like BLM. People letting off steam because they’re tired of lockdown.

Agree. ITV News massively overstating the scale of disorder. It doesn't help.

Nothing like BLM protests and the eventual violence.

There has been low level trouble at the Lanark Way peaceline now for a few weeks involving kids. It's now spilled over to more serious trouble and it's hard to see how the genie can be put back in the bottle.

You also have a couple of NI specific political issues at play and people in the background whipping the tensions up on social media.

Smicks will be fewmin. Facebook is down. Why, I couldn't possibly speculate. But it might not be a bad thing. Nudge Nudge.

Clearly his spelling and grammar were not strategically planned.
It's also the Northern Irish Protocol.. not to many Loyalists would call it the Irish Protocol.

I'd hazard a guess and say it's Republicans trying to stoke the tension, to make the trouble worse for Republican PR advantage.

It's also the Northern Irish Protocol.. not to many Loyalists would call it the Irish Protocol.

I'd hazard a guess and say it's Republicans trying to stoke the tension, to make the trouble worse for Republican PR advantage.

This. What the Loyalists need to remember is that SF/IRA are better at playing that game.

Seen the dogs on Twitter. Wait till you hear the howling from Republicans at the police response tonight compared to yesterday.
Genuinely not trying to get a wind up, but what is the reason for the two different responses? Six days of loyalist rioting with 55 injured peelers and many instances of arson has seen a largely passive police response now you tell us that water cannon and dogs and the possibility of baton rounds are being used to control the nationalist rioters. Is there a quantifiable difference in the nationalist rioting in West Belfast tonight?

There really doesn't seem to be much detailed reporting on the BBC where it's all very generalised "youths throwing stones in Belfast" so it's hard to get a clear picture

Genuinely not trying to get a wind up, but what is the reason for the two different responses? Six days of loyalist rioting with 55 injured peelers and many instances of arson has seen a largely passive police response now you tell us that water cannon and dogs and the possibility of baton rounds are being used to control the nationalist rioters. Is there a quantifiable difference in the nationalist rioting in West Belfast tonight?

There really doesn't seem to be much detailed reporting on the BBC where it's all very generalised "youths throwing stones in Belfast" so it's hard to get a clear picture
Baton rounds fired at rioters on shankill side last night. Water cannon used on rioters on Falls Road side tonight. Quite a few arrests made over the last week. Similar tactics with foot and vehicle drills both sides of the “peace wall”. The tactical options deployed can be influenced by a number of factors. The level of violence faced, number of persons involved, local topography, available resources, the experience and capability of the silver commander.

Baton rounds fired at rioters on shankill side last night. Water cannon used on rioters on Falls Road side tonight. Quite a few arrests made over the last week. Similar tactics with foot and vehicle drills both sides of the “peace wall”. The tactical options deployed can be influenced by a number of factors. The level of violence faced, number of persons involved, local topography, available resources, the experience and capability of the silver commander.
There were no reports of the baton rounds being fired in the media I have seen. In fact the standard of reporting from the professional media seems strangely vague, relying almost entirely on Twitter feeds and videos, although that could be a factor of me relying on the internet rather than TV.

What's the feeling, is this going to blow itself out or can we expect it to get worse? My opinion mid-week was that it would be a two-day wonder but it does seem to be spreading now.

ETA: I stand corrected, The Guardian at least appears to be doing its job "Later in the evening, there were reports that police warned crowds “impact rounds will be fired”. Impact rounds, also known as AEPs or plastic bullets, are not used as a means of crowd control in any part of the UK apart from Northern Ireland, and their use has been condemned by human rights groups. Six plastic bullets were fired by police during Wednesday night’s events."

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
Rebuild Moscow Camp and send me back over there.

I miss quaffing pints of lager and boffing the local women at the weekly pigs disco.

I might even find time to get out there and sort the troublesome rioters out

Rebuild Moscow Camp and send me back over there.

I miss quaffing pints of lager and boffing the local women at the weekly pigs disco.

I might even find time to get out there and sort the troublesome rioters out
Stand down Granda, Northern Ireland has enough fat, piss stained, old duffers already

Carrick and Sandy Row was a handful of petrol bombs chucked at the peelers at it's height.
Cloughfern was 3 cars burnt out and 30 petrol bombs thrown, but the peelers could afford to stand off, once they had the traffic stopped towards the area.

There was 6 baton rounds fired on Lanark Way, Shankill end on Wednesday night and the peelers moved in, in strength to force the Prods away from the interface gates. Think the other side were still at the peelers at 1am Thursday morn. Also attempts by both sides to get through the gates at each other. And Nationalists tried to attack Unionist houses on up the road.

Last night the peelers were better prepared, water cannon moved from Antrim about 4pm to Belfast. Peelers under attack by Nationalists, who had moved uptowards Unionist houses again and threw petrol bombs at not only the cops but at a Protestant primary school.

I'd say the difference over the last 48hrs is that Carrick, Newtonabbey and Sandy Row aren't on a peaceline to be honest, which the greater potential for serious injury or loss of life.

Carrick and Sandy Row was a handful of petrol bombs chucked at the peelers at it's height.
Cloughfern was 3 cars burnt out and 30 petrol bombs thrown, but the peelers could afford to stand off, once they had the traffic stopped towards the area.

There was 6 baton rounds fired on Lanark Way, Shankill end on Wednesday night and the peelers moved in, in strength to force the Prods away from the interface gates. Think the other side were still at the peelers at 1am Thursday morn. Also attempts by both sides to get through the gates at each other. And Nationalists tried to attack Unionist houses on up the road.

Last night the peelers were better prepared, water cannon moved from Antrim about 4pm to Belfast. Peelers under attack by Nationalists, who had moved uptowards Unionist houses again and threw petrol bombs at not only the cops but at a Protestant primary school.

I'd say the difference over the last 48hrs is that Carrick, Newtonabbey and Sandy Row aren't on a peaceline to be honest, which the greater potential for serious injury or loss of life.
That makes sense, as I said above, trouble that can be contained within "one community" can be just about tolerated, once peace lines are being breached and it starts turning inter-communal it's time to get the big boy's pants on.

As I asked @foggy_balla above, what's your feeling? Is this going to blow over by the end of the weekend or is the lid going to come off?

Some dunderheed SM traffic in Lisburn trying to generate "loyalist support" demo/riot in Ballymacash area. As others have pointed out, most likely being pumped out from the bedroom by spotty teenage fcukwits and hopefully local "community leaders" will make them toe the line

There were no reports of the baton rounds being fired in the media I have seen. In fact the standard of reporting from the professional media seems strangely vague, relying almost entirely on Twitter feeds and videos, although that could be a factor of me relying on the internet rather than TV.

What's the feeling, is this going to blow itself out or can we expect it to get worse? My opinion mid-week was that it would be a two-day wonder but it does seem to be spreading now.

ETA: I stand corrected, The Guardian at least appears to be doing its job "Later in the evening, there were reports that police warned crowds “impact rounds will be fired”. Impact rounds, also known as AEPs or plastic bullets, are not used as a means of crowd control in any part of the UK apart from Northern Ireland, and their use has been condemned by human rights groups. Six plastic bullets were fired by police during Wednesday night’s events."

I get my news from AC Graylings Twitter fed now.

apparently this is all down to Brexit and if we rejoin the EU all violence in Northern Ireland will stop.

That makes sense, as I said above, trouble that can be contained within "one community" can be just about tolerated, once peace lines are being breached and it starts turning inter-communal it's time to get the big boy's pants on.

As I asked @foggy_balla above, what's your feeling? Is this going to blow over by the end of the weekend or is the lid going to come off?
I genuinely find it hard to see how you can put the genie back into the bottle when both sides are going at it on either side of the interface.

If the houses where I live, Tigers Bay or up by Ardoyne were to be targeted, I reckon all bets would be off.