Police will keep driving records for five years

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Sep 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Police plan to map all journeys made by drivers on major roads and store the data for five years.

A national network of roadside cameras will be able to read 50 million number plates each day enabling officers to reconstruct the movements of motorists.

But civil rights campaigners have questioned why the data needs to be kept for so long and want reassurances on who will be allowed to access the information.

The project relies on automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras which pinpoint the time and location of all vehicles on the road.

Police originally said they only wanted the information for two years but were forced to admit the five year plan following a Freedom of Information Act inquiry.

It revealed the database will be able to store as many as 18 billion license plates by 2009. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2008/09/15/mdata115.xml

And the payback for this vast amount of data, given that any evil doer with half a brain will now be in a stolen vehicle or with cloned plates, is what, precisely?

Oh yes how silly of me: road pricing and general control freakery

2. And how much is this bollox going to cost us?
    More to the point what function is it going to serve?
    20 odd year late but Orwell would be proud.....

3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

If this is true, I'd really like to know why my father, mother, grandfathers, aunt and uncles spent most of the last century fighting fascist and communist regimes who kept their people under constant surveillance in order to stay in power.

4. Can't beat a bit of recycled old news to get the outrage button pressed. ANPR has been around for several years.The 5 years rule as I understand it is for vehicles which are now/have been of police interest. The evidence will be kept for 5 years as that is the length of time for the average appeal through all the relevant courts of Appeal. Or would it be better to turn up at the Court of appeal in 4 years time and have no evidence to offer as it had been deleted?There by allowing a criminal to go free. How outrageous would that be?
    Other data such as the average member of the publics vehicle going through a camera is kept for a short time and then deleted completely. This allows for searches for recently stolen vehicles etc which may well provide pictures of the offenders.
    The article linking this to speed cameras is quite frankly bogus. Yes the average speed cameras do use ANPR technology but pure ANPR cameras do not detect speed.
    As for all Police Forces being linked. What is wrong with that? Was it not one of the criticisms from The Soham Enquiry that Police could not share Intelligence?
    ANPR is very effective as a crime fighting tool. It is just a shame the article wasn't more balanced rather than just taking 1 part of the legislation and using it to start the Outrage bus.

5. Well said matey.......too many poorly informed mouth piece's on 'Arrse' looking to stir up a hornets nest over what are sensible deveopments. Looks like you swatted 'em. :D

6. While not wishing to board the outrage bus, there are a few technicalities that need answers, not least of which is the protection of this data. Following the announcement today that West Midlands police have lost a flash card with a lot of very sensitive information on it we cannot trust government or law enforcement bodies to be in possession of such information.

1. I would be more comfortable knowing that it was just number plates of interest being kept on file for 5 years, but what process defines those which are of interest?

2. Which Government bodies are able to access this information?

3. Who can guarantee that information which is of "no interest" is removed from this database, and after what timescale.

4. You say that Speed cameras do use ANPR data but do not retain it, but what is to stop the misuse of such data.

The fact remains that the UK is heading towards becoming a very over monitored state, and the benefits of such information gathering may not be seen as benefits by all the population. Why cannot I go about my perfectly legal day to day business without being recorded on 100 cameras, and being tracked all day in case I do something wrong. The fact is that policing today is not pro-active, rather reactive. The crime has been committed before the police do anything about it, rather than being about prevention. ANPR is another example of a reactive method of policing and does nothing for the public's confidence in policing. The DNA Database does not prevent crime, rather it is used sometimes to solve crime that has already been committed. We pay for policing to be preventative, however there is little evidence of preventative policing nowadays.

Burglary is often only treated by issuing a crime number - what is the point of a DNA database if people dont come out and look for evidence at the scene of the crime!

Policing on the whole requires a massive shake up to recover the confidence of the people who it is meant to serve - after all we do actually pay for it, technology is not necessarily the answer to removing the thin blue line from the street. It should be seen as an aid to crime prevention, but its vital for the police to be seen as a presence on our streets as it is a sure fire method of assisting in crime prevention.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1055996/Police-lose-memory-stick-secret-terrorist-information.html

7. Damn and i just finished putting the fake plates on the outrage bus. Well im not changing em back you can sod off

8. Bob I will answer your points as best I can. I will apologise in advance if I appear vague or even evasive but I am restricted like others who post on this site.
    Point 1 . Any vehicle which activates ANPR database is kept for the time given as any offence(s) can be appealed right up to the highest court in the land.
    Point 2 I am not allowed to answer this but probably not as many as the conspiracy theorists would expect.
    Point 3 This is a computer system so deletion is set and is carried out. It is one of those "Trust me" things

Point 4 I said that speed cameras use the same technology ie they read number plates not that they share data. Speed cameras are not my area but as far as I know the only reason they record numberplates is for the purposes of speed enforcement.

Most of the above information is freely available on the web or via your local police Force data protection officers. It is just a shame the reporter didn't do a bit more research. Or perhaps the information he found out didn't fit his purposes?

As with regards to some of your other points on general policing then you would probably find we agree on quite alot.