Police wearing wings

Just reading in the latest Pegasus journal that the Chief Constable of Humberside Police, Tim Hollis has put his wings on his dress uniform. He served with 3 Para in the 70's. Has he started a trend now and will every copper with a military badge start sewing them onto their police uniform?

jack-daniels said:
Just reading in the latest Pegasus journal that the Chief Constable of Humberside Police, Tim Hollis has put his wings on his dress uniform. He served with 3 Para in the 70's. Has he started a trend now and will every copper with a military badge start sewing them onto their police uniform?
Why not if he earned it..... :)

He was presented the dress wings by the local police authority I think. Don't see it starting a trend but if you earn 'em, why not. BTW no I don't have any...

Tartan_Ninja said:
jack-daniels said:
Why not if he earned it..... :)
Fcuking right, got a few mates in the 'Filth' who wear their medals so why not 'Wings' etc!

Never seen it before though, I wear a sneaky set of wings at work on one of my items of uniform, we're not supposed to but fcuk em!

Isn't he supposed to wear a light bulb if his jumps aren't current, which they wouldn't be if he got them in the seventies and is a copper now. Unless he is TA and I doubt that.
Fallschirmjager said:
I've got wings sewn onto my dressing gown. How sad is that? :(
You have a dressing gown!!!!!!! :D

the_butler said:
Isn't he supposed to wear a light bulb if his jumps aren't current, which they wouldn't be if he got them in the seventies and is a copper now. Unless he is TA and I doubt that.
No mate, once earned they can't be taken off you unless you refuse to jump. The lightbulb was for blokes who'd done their jumps course but hadn't served in the Airborne Bde.

Chief Constable Tim Hollis -- nickname "Reg" surely? :)

jack-daniels said:
the_butler said:
No mate, once earned they can't be taken off you unless you refuse to jump. The lightbulb was for blokes who'd done their jumps course but hadn't served in the Airborne Bde.
Which is why I know feck all. Thanks for that :D

jack-daniels said:
the_butler said:
They cannot be taken from you at all.

They are amongst the few badges in the army that are issued in perpetuity. Once you have earned them - then they are yours forever, they cannot be taken from you irrespective of whether your jumps are current or whether you are in a parachute unit.

As I recall there are only a few badges that fall into this category (PARA is one and a few others (EOD I think), they were listed in MATREGS - although I have not searched JSP 336, although I expect it will be there). That is why certain badges cannot be worn at certain ranks e.g. ACI, Signaller, Skill at Arms Instr and a few others may be fine at Cpl - but not at Sgt (unless you are employed specifically in role).

As a former ex serviceman and police officer, I do NOT agree that military personnel should tranfer badges/ranks etc earned whilst in the armed forces to the police force.

Where does it stop?. RAF 'wings' badges on police tunics. Air despatchers badges etc.

The police would end up looking like some South American, banana republic, police force.

It is pure vanity and ego by the Chief Constable concerned.

Many years ago I remember police forces introducing 'mess kit' for all/some officers if they wanted it.
In the Metropolitan Police. (my force) it was a complete and utter flop. In other forces it was restricted to the upper ranks.

In Kent Police it was restricted to Chief Inspectors and above. They all wore red jackets etc, just like the army and thought that they were emulating their military colleagues. Quite frankly it was pathetic. The police are a civilian service, not a military one, even if senior officers like to try and 'ape' the military traditions.

Foreign Police-eg the French- wear theirs,but since The Gendarmerie is controlled by French MoD,this might be the reason.It's helped me in the past,when stopped for speeding by them!

When I was in the Scouts I earned my advanced swimmers badge; surely I should be stitching that on my No 2s if I want. Anyone care to offer why this is not precisely the same principle as that of Army veterans in uniformed civil agencies wearing mil qual badges?

Any pictures?